Poulan Pro pp4818 chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Softdraw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with this saw? I see a thread regarding the new pp5020, but I saw a pp4818 in Home Depot yesterday. It looks like the pp4818 is the 5020's little brother. I'm guessing the 4818 is a Husky designed saw that incorporates some of the Poulan features.

Yes, I know it's still a low end saw, but I could use another one.

I believe you meant a PP4218, which is a 42cc saw. I do not have one. It is an evolution of the old PP260 saw, and I have a Craftsman that is very similar and which I like quite a bit. I would consider it more of a Poulan designed saw that incorporates some Husqvarna-corporate features.

It's a 42cc strato engine with a chrome bore, inboard clutch, a two arm chainbrake and A/V. I think they are a little heavier than some, but this seems to be typical with the extra hardware for the strato feature and the plastic chassis. It's a saw I would like to have, but my old ones run fine.

I believe you meant a PP4218, which is a 42cc saw. I do not have one. It is an evolution of the old PP260 saw, and I have a Craftsman that is very similar and which I like quite a bit. I would consider it more of a Poulan designed saw that incorporates some Husqvarna-corporate features.

It's a 42cc strato engine with a chrome bore, inboard clutch, a two arm chainbrake and A/V. I think they are a little heavier than some, but this seems to be typical with the extra hardware for the strato feature and the plastic chassis. It's a saw I would like to have, but my old ones run fine.

Thanks, but no, its a pp4818. I have a pp4218 that quit on me. The pp4818 looks very similar to the pp5020 someone else posted about. The engine is 48 cc's rather the 42 cc's you mentioned and I have.

You can see it on the Home Depot website. The cc difference is what prompted my thread.

But I do thank you for the response. I was beginning to wonder whether my post had been lost in cyberspace...

I'd buy the PP4218 Predator. It comes with a case, gloves, file, extra chain I believe, bar&chain oil, and 2-cycle oil. You do have to order it online but it's $13 less and includes free shipping.

Last edited:
Well I'll be! I never saw that before nor heard of it discussed here. Near as I can tell the picture on the HD website is wrong - it shows a PP4218. Looking at the IPL it's clearly based on the 5020. I cannot tell if it uses 3/8 or 0.325" chain.

Given that one of the weaknesses of the 5020 is weight, and this does not appear to be much lighter, I would go with a 5020.

Actually, I'd rather have the PP4218 - I'd fix the one you have if it were me.

Well I'll be! I never saw that before nor heard of it discussed here. Near as I can tell the picture on the HD website is wrong - it shows a PP4218. Looking at the IPL it's clearly based on the 5020. I cannot tell if it uses 3/8 or 0.325" chain.

Given that one of the weaknesses of the 5020 is weight, and this does not appear to be much lighter, I would go with a 5020.

Thank you--I am not opposed to repairing the one I have, but I am not a mechanic and have neither the experience nor resources to fix it. However, I had a mechanic look at it and he said he thinks it has an air leak. Is that a problem that's fixable without a huge investment? I appreciate you taking the time to answer these simple questions.

The PP5020 doesn't have that goofy tool-less chain adjuster.

The PP4218AV doesn't have it either, only the PP4218AVX

Usually air leaks are from crankshaft seals or the intake. However, the fuel lines on these Poulans have a reputation for deteriorating. That would be the first thing to look at. After that a good carb cleaning. You can inspect the piston and ring after removing the muffler - if those are scored it will lose compression.

The PP4218AV doesn't have it either, only the PP4218AVX

Usually air leaks are from crankshaft seals or the intake. However, the fuel lines on these Poulans have a reputation for deteriorating. That would be the first thing to look at. After that a good carb cleaning. You can inspect the piston and ring after removing the muffler - if those are scored it will lose compression.

Thank you. But is checking for those generally expensive?

Also, you were dead on about the weight of the pp4818. I checked it again today at Home Depot and it comes in at 14.2 pounds. The 5020 is 14.7 pounds, and the pp4218avx 11.something pounds.

Back