poulan pro saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i have a poulan pro335 which is several years old. i bought it at a demo sale my local dealer was having.
it came with a 20 inch bar. im a "happy home owner" that takes down a tree from time to time,so it has been a good saw. i had tree service company drop a big tree near the house one day and one of the guys took a look at my saw and told me he could give it "more power" arh arh arh. so i said ok. he then took the baffle out of the muffler which made it sound better(not sure about the power) he then told me that he thought that the saw would have enough power to pull what he called a "big chain". so he sent me down to the dealer to buy another 20 inch bar and a bigger chain.the bigger chain seems to work good when its sharp but it seems to dull quick. should i stay with the "big chain" or go back to the smaller one? does anyone know if i can get a 16 inch bar for that saw to trim with? sorry so long
capt jack

I have a few questions:
1)You bought a "bigger" chain and new bar. Did you ever change out the sprocket?
2)Did the chain seem to run smoothly or did it make a chattering sound when running?

Taking the baffle out only gave it more power only if it was plugged. If it wasn't plugged no difference. Now its not forest service approved. If it was a cheaper chain it might dull faster. It could be the area you are cutting. The saw you have can have several different bar and chain combos from 13 to 20 inch. I would only get a bar size that would meet the size of wood you are cutting. i.e.-there is no reason to have a 20 inch bar if you are cutting 8 inch logs. Your tree trimmer had a lot of nerve telling you what to do with your saw. Some guys think that since they use a saw everyday they now everything about them.
Thanks, Big D

thanks

thanks big d , i did change the sproket too.
the chain runs fine. it boggs out somtimes.
when i say bigger i think its a 3/8 chain.(it has bigger teeth on it than the one that came with it
so your saying i can get a smaller bar to put on it with no problem?
is it the right thing to do,getting a smaller bar for this saw or just buy a new saw?
capt jack

Yeah, you can put a smaller bar on this although it has no listing for a 3/8 chain available. Some dealers try and match up adjustment holes and bar width and thats maybe how you ended up with a 3/8 chain. It lists only .325 pitch chain should be used with that saw. I dont think you should get a new saw. I think the 3/8 pitch chain is too much for that saw. There is a big differents in chain. The weight is different on 3/8 to .325 and also the aggressivness is different. The 3/8 takes more of a bite, therefore making it easier for your saw to bog down. Did your tree guy get a hold of your saw and adjust the carb? If did he might have adjusted it too lean so it screams but doesnt have enough gas to get through a log. Hope this helps.
Big D

I agree too about the saw diagnosis. It was designed for a certain load at a certain rpm. Easier said than done, and the engineering should be respected.

Keep the wanna-be experts/helpers away from your saws! In fact, as a rule, keep them away from all you hold dear: your dog, saws, fusepanel, satalite dish receiver, fridge and, of course, your bride.

poolan and poolan and poolan

The only thing I know about the Poulan Pro is that it is kind of a junk saw. I am not trying to sound like a tough guy, but I had one and threw it from the top of the tree after about an hour of use. It doesn't sound like the aggrevation you are going through with this thing warrants any further remediation. I would recommend purchasing a Stihl. The company used to have a reputation for being high-end and expensive ( you get what you pay for ), but they have introduced a great line of saws intended for the average homeowner. I would recommend a 029. You could scoop one for about $200 and it will last forever provided you take care of it. I am not a Stihl dealer. Back to the Poulan.....you can't polish a turd to begin with

i have found my answers!! thanks

im so sorry!
my last post was written all wrong.
i would like to know if anyone has any info on
a poulan pro 335 junk saw?
can anyone tell me how many cc the turd motor has?
does anyone one know how old this stihl wannabe saw is?
i hope this clears up any confusion from my last post.
jack
ps those crappy poulan pro saws will still hurt someone if
you throw them from tree's please use comon sense when cutting you could hurt someone!

cowboy

Maybe you should of posted a thread asking for recommendations on a good homeowner saw in the first place and you wouldn't be in this problem.

re: big d

i got a 3/8 16 inch bar with a 72lp chain. it seems to work good. i did figure out one thing that may have been some of the problem, the 20 3/8 bar had a oregon vanguard chain i think it is there safety chain. the rakers are bent over, its kinda weird looking. i put the 20 back on with a regular chain "72 square chisel" and it did much better going through oak.
as to weather or not the guy adjusted the carb, i don't think he did because the only adjustment you have externaly is the idle, and he didn't take cover off it.
let me apologize for my post"i have found the answers" it was a long day and i was not in the mood for tree md insightfull post.there is always one on every forum. i don't usually get caught up in that stuff but i guess i had a weak moment.
thanks for your help
jack
ps you have a great web site - lots of good info

I thank you for the compliment on the "great site". I agree safety chain is no good and yes the "vanguard chain" is a safety chain. I think the 16inch bar is much better suited for you saw. I will continue to look for some of the other info questions you had on your post as I am not as strong on "homeowner" type saws. Tree MD was a little hard on you about your saw. Not everyone needs a Stihl or Husky. No disrespect, Tree MD.

I hate to harp on this

Listen, ANY puolan saw was not meant to have a 72 chain on it. Thinking you can put one on it is like trying to squeeze whorespower out of a beard shaver in chaisaw form. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!! I'm done with this. Buy a 029. You will not be disappointed

I agree with Darin, not everybody needs a Stihl or Husky. More and more people feel they need to spend alot of money on a chainsaw, the fact is they will be satisfied with a Poulan, Homelite, or Mikita. So, he has #72 on his saw as long as the does what he needs, that's good. I personally use and collect old Homelite's, I use them and enjoy using them and they get the job done. When I do tree work on the side sometimes I break out the Stihls, but often find they are not needed. Can't all chainsaws get along? Maybe I am just old-fashioned. Good Luck and be safe.

Homelites?

I've got a handful of old homelites. If you are interested in any I will send you pictures, Let me know

I know of the reputation that POULAN has. BUT........I have a model 2150 that I bought new in the box for under $70.00. It does a great job for what it was designed for. It is lightweight, starts very easily, and just plain runs great. It is the "green" model, not the pro one. I have to also say that it is a great handling saw, with the controls layed out nicely.

ive owned the 335. its a good fire wood saw. no bells an whistles.
but a fairly good performer.if memory serves me ,it was an 54 cc saw.

Last edited:
You see what I got here Poulan 3750 and Poulan 330. Cant beat it for the money for a homeowner, I got $55 in the 330 used and $165 in the 3750 used with top end rebuild . They are not Pro saws by anymeans, dont care if they do put Poulan pro on them. Homeowner use.

You guys that run Poulans should keep quiet about what you know are good, makes em cheaper at the Stihl dealer when one comes in on trade. I admit Poulan I beleive has quit making that series all together that this thread was started over.

Hmmm, two saws same cc engine. The Poulan 335 is 54cc the stihl 029 is 54cc, I have stihl saws but thats what I like, the first one I owned was a 029 and I would have liked to have thrown that one from a tree.

Back