poulan pro saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Listen, ANY puolan saw was not meant to have a 72 chain on it. Thinking you can put one on it is like trying to squeeze whorespower out of a beard shaver in chaisaw form. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!! I'm done with this. Buy a 029."

I enjoy running Poulans at times and have a couple old Countervibes made in the USA which I believe will smoke any 029 you can produce. Put your money on the log and the first one through the cut takes it. Oh and by the way, they run 3/8" chisel chain.

Tree M.D. Spoke from ignorance. Many Poulans were equipped with 72 series chain. The larger Poulan Pros really are Pro quality saws. Granted that the little ones are intended for homeowner use but that doesn't include every Poulan. I own Stihl , Husqvarna, Echo, Solo, Jonsereds, Dolmar, Alpina, Homelite and Poulan. Which saw gets run the most? The Poulan Pro 330. Thats the saw that processes brush for the chipper-day after day fors several years now. _ I have other saws that will do that job well but the 330 balances nicely starts well and cuts fast-(With 72 series chain).

The Poulan Pro 485 and 505, at least, were real pro saws - same saws as Jred 2077 and 2083 (not 2083II) - made in Sweden, guess by who.....

Running a 76 DL Windsor Full chisel on both bigger poulans. Boy what a difference that made on the speed of cutting over that safety crap. FC the way to go for the homeowner. That is the limit too. Would like to find a 16"-18" bar and FC chain for the 330, 3750, just to have a shorty bar on hand. I tried a 16" bar and 3/8 low profile chain. Cut, but jeez to fast, not enough bite.

Last edited:
54cc and 60cc saws

lostone said:
Hmmm, two saws same cc engine. The Poulan 335 is 54cc the stihl 029 is 54cc, I have stihl saws but thats what I like, the first one I owned was a 029 and I would have liked to have thrown that one from a tree.
Were you referring to me, having a 60cc and a 54cc? I bought the 330 54cc as a parts saw for my 3750 60cc, but all the 330 needed was some carb work, go figure. So now I got a running parts saw. Everything interchanges between them, even the cyc and piston as a whole unit will bolt up. Have a good cut and good day.

Timbermaster said:
Were you referring to me
No, I was referring to someone basically saying if you dont own a main brand name saw then you dont have a saw, I had a 029 and was not impressed by it in the least, I have only run the poulan a couple of times (a friends saw) and to be honest I thought it was a decent saw. I just dont care for some always claiming that if its not a stihl or a husky then its not a saw, I dont use a saw for a living and alot of people that come on here to ask about there saw don't either, and a poulan is all the saw they need, everyone doesn't need a 088 or 3120xp.

lostone said:
No, I was referring to someone basically saying if you dont own a main brand name saw then you dont have a saw, I had a 029 and was not impressed by it in the least, I have only run the poulan a couple of times (a friends saw) and to be honest I thought it was a decent saw. I just dont care for some always claiming that if its not a stihl or a husky then its not a saw, I dont use a saw for a living and alot of people that come on here to ask about there saw don't either, and a poulan is all the saw they need, everyone doesn't need a 088 or 3120xp.

Yup. :cool:

I had a Poulan Pro 330. Good saw and decent power. I liked the layout of the controls. Some saw manufacturers would do well to copy the 330's choke and stop switch. Nice and simple. I cut 20 cord of wood with that saw last summer. It was a refurb and I paid $200 for it on ebay shipped to my door. Sold it for $150. I have a new 20" Oregon roller if someone needs one. Make an offer.

Scott, My original 330 is still going strong o the original rings. the 2nd one I bought needs a new intake boot. I opened the muffler on the 2nd onewith another port but the original is almost stock-I just opened the hole a smidge with a file- it isn't abig outlet but it runs great.

So true

lostone said:
I just dont care for some always claiming that if its not a stihl or a husky then its not a saw, I dont use a saw for a living and alot of people that come on here to ask about there saw don't either, and a poulan is all the saw they need, everyone doesn't need a 088 or 3120xp.
You are sooooooooo right on that one lostone.

Here is another way to look at it, from a Stihl owner (and another one of those despicable Jetta owners - we're not all greenie nuts). I bought a Stihl because I was hoping it would start and run and not crap out on me when I'm in the middle of the cut, so I could pay attention to cutting wood and all of the attendant safety issues instead of keeping the saw running while I'm using it. Obviously other issues like weight, dealer support, longevity and power were other factors, some of them were admittedly perceived. But as long as a saw starts and runs dependably it is fine, obviously other brands do just fine at this as long as they're maintained. It's when you're spending more time paying attention to how the saw is running than safety in the wood cutting you're doing, is when you'll start taking extra risk on. This is one of the most dangerous power tools there is, I want mine to be absolutely the most reliable that I can buy. Nothing against Poulan or any other brand of saw, it's just that Stihl is what I and others in my family have had experience with and know that they will run perfectly. Does everyone need a Stihl or a Husky? No. Did I NEED a Stihl or a Husky? No. But does it run great and allow me to pay attention to the woodcutting? Yes.

CNY, I think that the folks making pro Poulan posts are pointing out that there ARE some quality Poulan saws that will get the job done with the same reliability as a Stihl or Husky. And those same folks admit that Poulan made/makes some bad saws, as has/does Stihl and Husky (admittedly probably to a lesser degree).

Knot Whole said:
CNY, I think that the folks making pro Poulan posts are pointing out that there ARE some quality Poulan saws that will get the job done with the same reliability as a Stihl or Husky. And those same folks admit that Poulan made/makes some bad saws, as has/does Stihl and Husky (admittedly probably to a lesser degree).

Yes, if a saw runs well and is dependable, that's great, I've got respect for that. I've certainly heard how the Stihl 290/310/390 "midrange" saws are lacking, I didn't want one of those any more than one of the cheaper Poulans...

It's good information to know which Poulans are worth having..

One of the great things about Arboristsite is the wealth of info here. You can search thru past posts and read about all kinds of quality saws, some old and some new, that go largely unnoticed: Makita, John Deere, Efco, Club Cadet, Craftsman (older ones that are relabelled Echos, Homelites, Poulans), Poulan, Echo, Shindaiwa (spelling?), and others. Some are willing to take a chance on 'sleeper' saws while others want/need the dealer support usually associated with big name saws.

To paraphrase Tony Marks: It all boils down to using the tool that you're comfortable with, and that gets the job done.

We are actively carrying on a 4 1/2 old thread, does this explain the popularity of movies that are rehashes of old tv shows?
Starsky and Hutch? Dukes?

Back