Poulan Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar969

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just recently bought a poulan pro 4218A and it worked for a few days. I went to start it today and it won't start. Plug is good gas is good primer bulb looks like it is working. What do you think is wrong. Thanks for any advice.

I bet it is set to lean. I would bust off the limiters and tune it a little richer. Then I would take off the muffler, and drill out the exhaust exit hole(s) a little bigger. I absolutely doubt there is anything wrong with your spark plug or coil. It's just they set them new Poulan's way to lean in the factory, and when you go to start em after a tank or two, they won't run right. Good luck.

Did you mix oil with the gas??? Is the gas old?? Ethanol in the fuel is crap, and will draw the moisture out of the air and spoil your gas. Air - Fuel - Spark, compression, good fresh mixed fuel, and a spark plug that umm Sparks. Good Luck, do a little digging and come back we'll be able to help ya.

I definitely have spark and gas is going in but it does not want to start. What the crud? Also, the same gas that had it running the other day was put back in it. So, that can not be it.

Last edited:
Is the saw fouled? You say the plug is wet? Did it pop and you didn't take it OFF choke and flooded it?? Does the rope pull over easier today than last time??

The choke does snap when it is on the chain brake is on and it use to start with it on. Also gas tank is full and now that you mention it it does feel easier to pull it like the compression to it is gone almost and it ids not trying at all to start.

The choke does snap when it is on the chain brake is on and it use to start with it on. Also gas tank is full and now that you mention it it does feel easier to pull it like the compression to it is gone almost and it ids not trying at all to start.

Don't use the chainbrake to start it. After it snaps on choke take the choke off but leave the throttle lock on.

If it still will not run right after that take off the muffler and look at the piston. If it is all scratched up you better get your receipt ready and hope they take it back.

Do you own a compression gauge? Did you put OIL in the Gasoline to make a "MIX"? Id take the plug out, let it sit overnight and then try again tomorrow. But id first do the old "drop test" Put the plug in, and hold it only by the recoil handle/rope, if it drops right down :mad:, if it takes a while to drop and you can kinda feel each time the engine turns over you might be ok. But Id def check compression. Good Luck

i have a bunch of those in the shop with smoked pistons,, couple of them i bet barely have 1 hour run time,, they are set very lean from the factory,,, i would be pulling the muffler and take a look see at the piston

i have a bunch of those in the shop with smoked pistons,, couple of them i bet barely have 1 hour run time,, they are set very lean from the factory,,, i would be pulling the muffler and take a look see at the piston

Thats why I always suggest a good limiter busting off and a good rich carb setting. I always mod the mufflers too. Makes a world of a difference. Can make a $100 saw run like a $300 saw. But it is hard to fix a Zama tho...:msp_wink:
I was working on a newer Weed Eater weedwacker the other day and I could only get it to run on half choke and had to keep flipping it on full choke to even keep it running. I busted off the aluminum surrounding the jets and had to back out the low 1 full turn to get it to run good. I also backed out the high 1/4th of a turn. Makes me sick how lean they set em.

Thats why I always suggest a good limiter busting off and a good rich carb setting. I always mod the mufflers too. Makes a world of a difference. Can make a $100 saw run like a $300 saw. But it is hard to fix a Zama tho...:msp_wink:
I was working on a newer Weed Eater weedwacker the other day and I could only get it to run on half choke and had to keep flipping it on full choke to even keep it running. I busted off the aluminum surrounding the jets and had to back out the low 1 full turn to get it to run good. I also backed out the high 1/4th of a turn. Makes me sick how lean they set em.

Its funny you say that, my buddy knows I like messing around with all the two stroke toys so he brought me his weed eater brand wacker today with the same exact symptons. I threw it on the pile of "to be looked at" . I put a mini fridge in under my bench and now only half my projects are getting done before I give up for the night and start watching tv and playing on the internets.

Last edited:
Its funny you say that, my buddy knows I like messing around with all the two stroke toys so he brought me his weed eater brand wacker today with the same exact symptons. I threw it on the pile of "to be looked at" . I put a mini fridge in under my bench and now only half my projects are getting done before I give up for the night and start watching tv and playing on the internets.

Yeah that will do it. Gotta get the projects done before you can get to the beer...:laugh:. Or just do what I would do and throw em in another pile and start drinking now. Yeah this one suprized me too. I twas from 05 and needed that much of a adjustment? Crazy stuff there.

Hey Mopar, if you don't have a compression gauge just pull the muffler off. If the piston has vertical marks your screwed. If it doesn't you probably just flooded it. Any ways, good luck.

This saw has no "limiter tabs" on the carb adjustments. You need the special Poulan tool.

Mine arrived last week with the idle adj. a bit rich, and the main summat lean. Easily remedied. Now runs great, and a long time on a tankful.

Mine arrived with a "Torch" spark-plug. That got tossed real quick. Besides their tendency to release their ground electrodes into the chamber, they are reputed to have random problems getting spark across the electrodes. Quite often, it's reported, just putting in a decent plug (right now, for me, Champion CJ-8) makes it much more reliable on starting. I'd do that swap without thinking twice. And richen up the main however you can, even via a dealer. Start sniffing about for the carb tool.

Carb adjustment tools were still available on amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Hey guys will the carb adjustments cause it not to start though? Also, I am just thinking about returning it to the store. Do you think I got a bad product and what can I do next time so this does not happen again. Next time I am going to put in a champion plug instead of the cheap one in there anything else I should do. Also, How long should I expect the saw to last since I cut 6 cords of wood a year? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back