Poulan S25DA, is it worth getting running?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, So I took the flywheel off in preparation of replacing the fuel line, and I also want to check the points while i'm at it. the only problem is that the flywheel key is stuck in the shaft real good, and there isn't a slot in the points cover for me to slip it over. whats the best way to go about doing this?

2016-06-20 (1).jpg 2016-06-20.jpg

Thanks!

Will those harm the key? I'm pretty sure this key has been in there for a long while. I have a pair of milwaukee wire cutters and was afraid to apply too much pressure.

I've tried three different times with multiple wire cutters and still have had no success.. what are the other alternatives i can do to get the flywheel key out?

dont you just turn it and it will come off?did for me ....not the key the points cover.... i left mine in place and turned the cover...

I vote wrong sized key hammered in by PO

Can you get vise grips on it?

Finally it came out. I had to drift the key with a really small square bit. How should the points look? It appears that the gap is ok, but this is my first engine with points.

Turn the engine over and the points should open to a maximum distance, something like .017 then they should close to zero. I usually put a small piece of #400 automotive sandpaper between them and work it back and forth, cleaning the points, then take a small brush or compressed air and blow them off. There are people here who don't like this method but it always works for me.

Today I was moving the piston up and down without the plug in the cylinder and noticed that there is some black on the piston. the saw was still running before i started tearing it down. is this normal for one of these saws?

IMG_20160629_203250506.jpg

I'm guessing that's carbon from the exhaust port and piston. Might be good to give that engine a good flush before turning it over any more. One one old engine I had I filled with fuel mix and left it for awhile then drained it out and did it again to rinse out the dirt and loose carbon. Be sure you drain all the fuel mix from the engine before you try to start it.

Yeah, you just pour it in anywhere basically and it'll find it's way to the crankcase and the rest of the engine. you'll probably have to cover up either the intake or exhaust to keep it from coming back out. leave the spark plug in it. After a while you can either re-rinse until clean or hang it up to drain into a pan..It just needs cleaned out.

I posted this in the poulan thread, but for those following here this wouldn't have been possible without @Acornhill. After a new handle gasket, carb gasket, woodruff key, handle grip, thrust washer throttle wire boot, dust seal, air filter, and the dawgs, this thing looks good as new. Thankfully the automatic oiler didn't need work and is putting oil on the bar. Only things I need now are a new bar and chain, but that's the least of my worries. This thing popped right back to life and seems to want to stay in the fight for many years to come.

Really glad I found this site. It gave me the confidence I needed to get this running.

1b9bfbe03412e31b90c7e6834202b170.jpg

db7a97e8344d62f5a0b9ceae78f183d9.jpg

466598f659bf7b8d85a9b06365dc9c9b.jpg

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back