stihl 056 dust getting inside air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

columbo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi all.
i have a 056 that i bought to mill boards from cherry and maple
i milled a bunch of boards. and its a monster for sure. i am definitely not man enough for it. lol
one heavy freakin saw. i love how it sounds
like an old muscle car with open headers lol
ok. back to my problem.
recently i noticed. fine sawdust getting inside air filter. i found no holes in metal mesh. itseems to seal. ok. but lots of dust inside.
iam sure it has done some damage. but it still runs great. any advice would be greatly appreciated. # on filter is. 1115 120 1605
its says. 056 A V. magnum. on cover. and has tilloson carb. i willtry to post pics. thanks
ihave more boards to mill. but i dont wanna use it til. i this worked out.

Attachments

• 20220501_111514.jpg
    20220501_111514.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220501_112057.jpg
    20220501_112057.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220501_113221.jpg
    20220501_113221.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Great looking saw!

The 1605 is the front half (rear to the saw) of a plain steel mesh filter, to be used in clean or green wood, plus winter cutting in snow. It’s not designed to stop fines.

The other Stihl option was a flocked filter, which you need to be using for milling, dirty, or dry wood. It’s assembly 1115 120 1615 for the plain 056, Super, and early Mags. You probably have a Tillotson #HS 118 carb on your saw? If so, you can fit the 1615 to your saw.

I’ve seen a lot of wrong part numbers given on Fleabay & those asian aftermarket filters, so watch out when buying one.

The flocked magnum II assembly is 1115 120 1630, and is different than the 1615 for the plain 056, mags, & Super assembly, because the rear half (front to the saw) has a larger opening to clear the alternate Walbro WJ carburetor’s bigger choke butterfly & choke/throttle linkages.

I think the Stihl parts list or IPL is really confusing on the AF options by using the 1, 2, 3 footnotes for the saw models...then A not illustrated & B for the options.

Great looking saw!

The 1605 is the front half (rear to the saw) of a plain steel mesh filter, to be used in clean or green wood, plus winter cutting in snow. It’s not designed to stop fines.

The other Stihl option was a flocked filter, which you need to be using for milling, dirty, or dry wood. It’s assembly 1115 120 1615 for the plain 056, Super, and early Mags. You probably have a Tillotson #HS 118 carb on your saw? If so, you can fit the 1615 to your saw.

I’ve seen a lot of wrong part numbers given on Fleabay & those asian aftermarket filters, so watch out when buying one.

The flocked magnum II assembly is 1115 120 1630, and is different than the 1615 for the plain 056, mags, & Super assembly, because the rear half (front to the saw) has a larger opening to clear the alternate Walbro WJ carburetor’s bigger choke butterfly & choke/throttle linkages.

I think the Stihl parts list or IPL is really confusing on the AF options by using the 1, 2, 3 footnotes for the saw models...then A not illustrated & B for the options.
thanks for the advice.
the inside. ( front to saw. ) filter is 1115 120 1610.
and i know itsa tillston carb just not sure of #
iwill try flocked filter 1115 120 1615. and grease sealing. surface.
do you think ican get a decent afternarket

i dont see any stihl oem filters available but i will keep searching
i hate buying china crap

That 1610 number is correct for the mesh filter on the engine side, and the whole filter w/ nuts is 1600.

There are OEM complete 1615 filters on fleabay, but they want $40 to 50. Used to be new ones for $25...obsoleted & covid inflation doubled them up.

I’ve never tried the china crap, but the Taiwan filter would be better than the sieve or mesh type until you find an OEM.

That 1610 number is correct for the mesh filter on the engine side, and the whole filter w/ nuts is 1600.

There are OEM complete 1615 filters on fleabay, but they want $40 to 50. Used to be new ones for $25...obsoleted & covid inflation doubled them up.

I’ve never tried the china crap.
yep. i just found one on fleabay for 5995. ouch
but. i guess its better than doing any more damage. hopefully it didnt do much damage.

yep. i just found one on fleabay for 5995. ouch
but. i guess its better than doing any more damage. hopefully it didnt do much damage.
I bought an aftermarket for a 361. a while ago and ended upputting original back on.

Not a sponsor, but this is worth a temporary try. His advertised part number is for the front only...Farmertec China or keep looking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132572577432?hash=item1eddf0fe98:g:bzYAAOSw~P9aoVE4
so. the 1620 is just the front half of a flocked filter ?
it is confusing.
ifound a nos oem for 49. i think i will grab it since i still have a bunch of milling
and no sense risking damage for a few bucks
the saw really does run good

thanks again for your expertise and advice.

so. the 1620 is just the front half of a flocked filter ?
it is confusing.

and no sense risking damage for a few bucks
the saw really does run good

Yes Sir. You can Google up & save a copy of the 056 parts list (IPL) from the internet & look at the filter section. Handy for future reference.

Should also spray/mist the inside of the new flocked filter w/ light oil or even PJ1 gauze/fabric dirt bike filter oil to keep the coarse mesh wires underneath from rusting.

They used standard carbon steel instead of stainless on the OEM flocked ones...so they saved some $$?

Attachments

• BCC5085A-180B-4CA6-970D-3DD28F9B4AEB.jpeg
    BCC5085A-180B-4CA6-970D-3DD28F9B4AEB.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0
Ditto on the flocked filter. If you can find the fabric filter it would be the best.
Reminds me of the operator that did not keep the mesh filters clean and actually sucked the filter mesh into the motor. More common than you would think

Latest posts

Back