Poulan Wild Thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, my name is John, and I'm a Poulan owner. :dizzy:

Now that we're on the twelve-step plan, can anyone help me with a Wild Thing problem? I replaced the sprocket/clutch drum, but now the clutch drum will not freewheel even when the clutch is disengaged. Therefore the saw won't start, because the chain turns along with the starter. Is there a part I missed somewhere that keeps the clutch drum isolated from the engine shaft's rotation? I'm stumped.

Thanks

Mike Maas said:
The drum should roll freely around the clutch. Take the side cover, bar and chain and see what's binding.

The drum does roll freely until I tighten the clutch assembly onto the shaft. That's why I'm wondering if there's a spacer, washer or some other small part I may have missed in taking it apart. The only other thing I can figure is that maybe the sprocket/drum is a smidge too thick, causing it to bind on the clutch assembly. It is the correct part number listed for that saw. I even bought another one thinking that it might've been mislabeled.

Thanks
John

heck u mite even have the wrong saw. if thats the case . its gonna be hard to fix. jmo
really dont mean to be a smart ---. different strokes an all. good luck.

u get what u pay for . what it boils down to for me is whether i want to tget my work done or spend half the time working on the saw. least that was my experience with the lowes poulans green saw. but to each his on. enjoy u saw.
but to be real ,if u talkin 2 ft hardwoods . i got to say ,i hope you do u self a favor and buy one quality saw. i got a feelin u will never buy a green poulan again.still to each his own. sorry ,i leave the mechanical advice to those who know a lot more ,than i. im just a person whos learned how to get the most out of equipment by good maintenance.. but its a lot easier with well made equipment. took me a while to learn that..

OK, guys, I've confessed my sins, now how about a little forgiveness?

I don't have that many 24" logs on my place, and the worthless little Poulan has done a good job of putting oak in my woodstove. Yep, I got what I paid for. A weekend saw for light work around the farm. Now that I've fixed my problem, I've cut a few more trees with it today.

To be honest, I think the biggest problem with the Poulan is the lack of documentation. All you get with it is the owner's manual (no parts list, no exploded view, etc.), because us immature amateurs are not supposed to try to fix our own saws. But thanks to this list and at least one member who's willing to share some useful information, I'm back in the woods and happy as if I had good sense.

Thanks, all.
John

You can get the parts manual as they call it right off the Poulan website. Just do a search of their site, they are on there.

Wingnut said:
OK, guys, I've confessed my sins, now how about a little forgiveness?
John
Heck you don't have to ask me for any, I own a PM6 one of the worlds most hated saws ;)

wingnut if u happy withum ,thats all that matters ,as i see it. just putting in my 2 cents .
mike since there painted poulans how about sellin them to me at poulan prices.
heck man ill even buy u some stihl paint to fix the replacements u buy. :)

Know what you mean there, Cheap fixes and all. We lol at high over prices, for dealer profits. Go USA made. Why buy a $500-$700 saw when a $150-$280 saw will work for a homeowner. But even though I like and use poulans, Wild thing is not my choice either. Happy cutting to all.

Latest posts

Back