poulan wild thing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMODM14

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey im new to all of this and got into it really cheap also its my first post. I bought a $40 axe and a poulan 40cc as my first saw it was only $150. i was wondering if there was any way to modify the saw to cut faster ive heard of porting the muffler. is it something i can do at home? any tips would be great thanks.

sure, poke a little hole in the muffler, make sure the chain and bar are working right. spray nitrous in the air cleaner while cutting.

when I wrote that I looked up at the bottle of dust off on the bookshelf.

I also remember my old one. Actually it was a grey Craftsman but they are the same, at least back then. One thing about it was that it had a trigger lock so it coould be set to hold the throttle open for you while you cut... it locked it on. I thought this was a real good display of engineering genius as well as the stamped steel bar tip gaurd that is held on by a little bolt.
You know who has one of those saws? The lesbians up on Frog Hollow, no joke, they are , well, I have no idea what they are but they got one

Last edited:
when I wrote that I looked up at the bottle of dust off on the bookshelf.

I also remember my old one. Actually it was a grey Craftsman but they are the same, at least back then. One thing about it was that it had a trigger lock so it coould be set to hold the throttle open for you while you cut... it locked it on. I thought this was a real good display of engineering genius as well as the stamped steel bar tip gaurd that is held on by a little bolt.
You know who has one of those saws? The lesbians up on Frog Hollow, no joke, they are , well, I have no idea what they are but they got one

lesbians up on Frog Hollow? Had no idea what you were talking about until I googled it.
wont be staying there anytime soon....

hey im new to all of this and got into it really cheap also its my first post. I bought a $40 axe and a poulan 40cc as my first saw it was only $150. i was wondering if there was any way to modify the saw to cut faster ive heard of porting the muffler. is it something i can do at home? any tips would be great thanks.

You are wasting your time trying to make that Piece of s%@" faster... Try looking on craigslist.org there are some good used Stihl's on there..... and oh yeh, the other brand too.... Husky..

I do not think they are my lesbians but it reminds me when I booked a weekend for my wife and I at a B and B in Lambertville New Jersey. I didn't know and they were surprised to see my wife was a girl. No big deal as we don't feel uncomfortable if we know the doors are not locked. We took it in stride and to be honest around here you will expect to come across some hilarious things. People feel good expressing themselves and its important to be able to that... I guess. But that song is not totally accurrate as the freaks also come out in the day, not just the night anymore.

I do not think they are my lesbians but it reminds me when I booked a weekend for my wife and I at a B and B in Lambertville New Jersey. I didn't know and they were surprised to see my wife was a girl. No big deal as we don't feel uncomfortable if we know the doors are not locked. We took it in stride and to be honest around here you will expect to come across some hilarious things. People feel good expressing themselves and its important to be able to that... I guess. But that song is not totally accurrate as the freaks also come out in the day, not just the night anymore.

WTF are you talking about Mr. treedan.

The poulan wild thing is a toy Home owners saw. Not a toy...but a toy saw. No real chainsaw is a toy, but compared to other saws it is not meant as a serious piece of equipment...not even close.

Personally, my troll alert is off the charts, but if you are for real, run it until it quits. Then be prepared to purchase a pro saw by the weekend.

Stihl or Husky, both have their ups and downs, but both will serve well. Both can be seriously modified.

If someone handed me a poulan wild thing and asked me to mod it...I'd paint it pink.

haha nice...anyways today i went cutting with it i cut 5 peices of hardwood and the muffler fell off O F F off. so i went to the tool crib next to my house i bought a stihl 031AVE for 150 bucks. so we will try that tomorrow!

I have a "Wild Thingy" and it does fine for limbs and real small trees. Anything larger and you will want a "real" saw. Pick a brand..........

Admittedly, your "wild thing" is an oddity and is a 2150 (33cc I think). Most "wild things" are 42cc if they are the 2375 or 40cc if they are the newers ones (not sure the model number).

Personally, my troll alert is off the charts, but if you are for real, run it until it quits. Then be prepared to purchase a pro saw by the weekend.

Saw snobs...:dizzy:

Poulan saws aren't that bad. True, they aren't for daily use or heavy duty cutting. No, a wild thing won't outcut a 361 in 18" of hardwood, and it doesn't have the power to weight ratio of a dolmar 5100 either, but it's an ok saw for what it is. I know Red agrees with me along with a few others here, but for the most part AS members disregard Poulans as garbage.

That said, I do agree they are a very low end saw.

haha nice...anyways today i went cutting with it i cut 5 peices of hardwood and the muffler fell off O F F off. so i went to the tool crib next to my house i bought a stihl 031AVE for 150 bucks. so we will try that tomorrow!

I rest my case and it's only Tuesday.

Good move.

Saw snobs...:dizzy:

Poulan saws aren't that bad. True, they aren't for daily use or heavy duty cutting. No, a wild thing won't outcut a 361 in 18" of hardwood, and it doesn't have the power to weight ratio of a dolmar 5100 either, but it's an ok saw for what it is. I know Red agrees with me along with a few others here, but for the most part AS members disregard Poulans as garbage.

That said, I do agree they are a very low end saw.
I agree. For what they cost, Poulans arent bad. Go buy any Stihl or Husky saw in the same price range and the only difference will be orange plastic.
I personally would never buy a Poulan, but Im not going to look down my nose at someone who chooses to buy a Poulan.
I may give you guys a hard time by saying when you get real you get a Stihl, but its just a little good-natured ribbing between chainsaw/wood heat enthusiasts. Nothing more.

Latest posts

Back