Power Pruner In The Tree???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about that one, I totally missed that one,but not on purpose

While I was doing this post I was shifting back and forth from the Cubs and Marlins game, really got close toward the end. Normally I'm a Chi Sox fan, but right now everybody around the Chicago area has Cubs fever, and everyone is a Cubs fan.

It seems to me that there is an inherent amount of safety in having the cutting equipment much further from the body than you do with a handheld saw, whether used in a tree or otherwise.

Eric,

Do you have a PP?? If you do it sounds like your reluctant to use it and not using it to it's full potential.

I waited a long time for something like this to hit the market. I jumped on one when they were first introduced by Technic Tools.

It's like any other power cutting tool in this business, it's only as good as the knowledge and skill of the person using it. You can do the same things with a PP on the ground, working above shoulder height and do it safely, the same as you would with a chain saw in a tree. You can do jump cuts on small stuff to avoid hitting targets, notch and hinge type fold cuts or side notch larger limbs and guide them away from the person doing the cutting. Many a time I've cut small sections and let them hang by the last fibers of the wood, then finish cut the piece to avoid hitting things like fences and fancy yard ornaments, flower beds. Undercutting and top cuts in three to four sections work great for larger material keeps pieces falling straight and hitting flat on the ground.

The only time a PP can be a real danger is when the shaft is fully extended, working directly overhead in the 11 to 12 o'clock position, the shaft can act just like a speed line and directs the cut limb right on top of the operator. If your aware of this just cut it smaller that's all.

As far as it's use in a tree is debateable, it has it's place in some cases. I would only use it only in extreme circumstances and making sure I had total control of the situation.

Hey Brian,

If you got a new HT- 75 for your birthday what are you going to get for Christmas, a new boom truck???

Is there any way your dad could adopt me, I've got a birthday coming up and could use a new PP.. :D

Er… can I be adopted by Rocky’s dad too?

Did anyone mention that the PP is not insulated for use around power lines?

I did a root top clearance with mine last week. The tree was hard maple and no way was I going to make several cuts through 9” limbs with a Manuel pole saw.

Also went into the tree crotch 9 ft above ground (tied in)and pruned some branches overhanging the pool, cuts were perfect and the bark remained undamaged. Oh yes did some paper birch pruning also.

Here’s the kicker –and exactly what Mike Mass made his point about. Next door (my customer as well) which are landscaping and which I removed several Austrian pines (hazard removals) earlier on this spring, well they have (had) a beautiful 60 ft linden tree in the front, Mrs. said she wanted the lower branches trimmed for ground clearance and to see the front door from the street, so ok I removed a few branches but left a drip line 6 ft above ground. Then comes the landscape crew a month latter and butchers the tree cutting all branches up to 20 ft above ground. The once beautiful tree is now permanently and disgracefully damaged- not to mention the root damage from adding and compacting soil around the tree.
So while we do have fun poking at Mike, remember this, he gives a dam about trees.

Thechnic Tools had a model out for a short time that was rated for use around power lines. It didn't have the extendable shaft though. It was just basically a 6 ft. extension saw for use around power lines. I don't think it went over to good as I only seen it advertised for one year and then disappeared from the market.

While were discussing this practice of using the PP in a tree, how about this idea to making it a little safer. Use a speed line webbing sling or small prussik loop and girth hitch the main part, use a utility rope and biner thrown over an overhead limb to help support and balance the PP, then tie it off in any way that tickles your fancy. With a good tie and firm footing it could work similar to a anti-aircraft gunners station on a battleship. I don't know if this would actually work and be safe, just an idea is all. I don't know if I would try this with any timming, but with a removal with little or no targets around, it could save some climbing and positioning. With people trying to use the PP in a tree we might have to get the ANSI standards rewritten again.

I'm waiting for the new Stihll lazer powered pruner that should be available next year. Should make fast work out of limbing up to 120 ft. Works on 6 rechargable D cell bateries. I hope we don't hear about increased incidences of topping though, that will put Mike into permanent spaz attack :eek:

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel

I did a little 'hack-daddy' trim work with mine today- some clearance/ elevation stuff. It was faster than setting a rope and putting on my climbing gear, but I couldn't quite reach high enough to make proper cuts. So I left a couple 3"-6" stubs. Big deal, can't see it from my house. :rolleyes: [/B]

you and rush should hook up and do a talk show together.

a wise man once said "keep your words short and sweet because you might have to eat them some day".

That's why I don't like every time I prune with that thing... Ya its fast and lot easier than climbing in many situations, but its impossible to make good target cuts 100% of the time.... No one else may know it, but I do and it bothers me.....

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
The HT-75 is only about 11' fully extended. If you're tying it off along the shaft somewhere to pivot on the support, you're talking about a range of about 5'-6'. If you're such a crappy climber that you can use this convoluted method faster than reaching out with a top handle chainsaw, then you probably should have one of those blue tags hanging from your truck mirror so you don't have to hobble so far into the grocery store.

I did a little 'hack-daddy' trim work with mine today- some clearance/ elevation stuff. It was faster than setting a rope and putting on my climbing gear, but I couldn't quite reach high enough to make proper cuts. So I left a couple 3"-6" stubs. Big deal, can't see it from my house. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that nice comment Brian, you just made my day

Did you fall off the wagon today and celebrate by having a few beers because you didn't have to get up in tree. You must be feeling awful good about yourself to go shooting off your big mouth. Did you forget your pole saw to finish those little 3 to 6 in. stubs you can't see from your house.

The PP is a heavy enough clumsy tool on the ground let alone using up in a tree, especially fully extended out. Why anybody would entertain the idea using it like this in a tree is really beyond me. But you can bet it's been tried by some one. The one scenerio that comes to mind where it might prove useful is in a wind mangled tree, where your trying to eliminate pressure points and don't relish the idea of being so close to the action when you cut the last one. A situation like this is not always predictable. If I were to be doing this, proof read the word IF, I sure wouldn't want the PP getting knock out of my hands and hitting some one the ground. A long tool like that, with a chain on the end of it, I wouldn't want it on my conscieince. I can also think of a few other times in the past where I might have and could have used it, but the darn thing wasn't around then.

Weather I'm a crappy climber or not is not the issue here, ( you have not seen me climb, so you no basis for your big mouth, braggert type satement ) the issue here is using a PP in trees, which has been revealing to see that it is being done. I just put the idea of the rope on the PP as a sort of safety measure, as it appears to be a more common place practice then what I thought it would be. I'm actually surprised to see so many actually coming forward and admitting their doing this, as it really isn't a safe, nor is it an accepted procedure for doing trees. The PP is here to stay that is a given, it's just a matter of time before it migrates from the ground to heights in tree. If my idea of using the rope prevents an accident some where, then maybe it just isn't so bad.

Ax-man, Don't get your knickers in a knot with Brian. He is about as subtle as a Power Ported 3120 but we love him-despite his sometimes grouchy posts he really is willing to help others AND he keeps learning and improving constantly-he just goes into new areas kicking and screaming a little.:angel:

Originally posted by netree
It seems to me that there is an inherent amount of safety in having the cutting equipment much further from the body than you do with a handheld saw, whether used in a tree or otherwise.
Yes and a manually operated polesaw is much safer than a motorized one. I use a polesaw regularly for all of the uses mentioned and cannot fathom the superiority of a PP over a polesaw in a tree.:confused:
Yeah upper body gets tired from strokin' but change angles and that changes strain. Strokin' is better than smellin' all that stinkin' smokin' and the weight and the noise and the hazard and the less precise cuts and the expense. Too many downsides; until I get bookoo work raising over roadsides I won't look at one. I'd rather spend my toy allowance on something else.:) The Jameson telescoping polesaw does the job in the tree; try it before you go against safety recommendations for some alleged convenience. this is the downside of having too many tools; we rationalize misuse to justify them.

Actually, the only reason I've done it was because there was no pole saw available, and it was about impossible to climb to.
I can envision unusual situations where it could come in handy, though.

Jameson pole saw

Guy,

It finally came from Sherril after 3 days of stalking the UPS man.

I've only had to use it a couple of times and sparsely at that. So far so good. nice not to have to fiddle with extensions. The Mondo blade I ordered with it was a little much for it. Switched the Mondo to our regular fiberglass pole where it is better suited, the ARS blade is more suited for the Jamension. In the next two weeks I"ll be able to form a better consumer report so to speak.

For the time being it's the boss's private tool, I've already told my guys it's hands off.

hi folkes, ive got the polon pole saw have used it on the ground and in the bucket it is great for taking thoes out of reach limbs . have used it to remove limbs before topping out the tree ,great for limbing the side for less strain on ropes. does get a little heavy though.

For those who are mentioning the weight of Power Pruners. If you want to plumb the depths of exquisite shoulder fatigue put the 5' extension on the 12'4" Echo with the hedger attachment and spend a few hours on a 12' Orchard ladder shearing 30 foot junipers. I hope I haven't given anyone nightmares.:p

Latest posts

Back