power vs break-in time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How much cutting speed do you typically pick up from brand new saw to one that has been run, say, two hours?

When do you guys with lots of experience consider a saw broke in to maximum power?

I consider a saw broken in after about 3-4 tankfulls,then make your adjustments and let her chew some wood:D

later Rob...

I have no doubt after full break in you could see up to a 10% increase in power, whether that translates into faster cutting speed is up to the user

Stihl asks the dealers to check rpm on new saws and make sure they are 1000 to 1500 rpm lower then the max because thats about the gain they expect. They've also indicated that some of the saws will take as much as 8 to 10 hours of running before they get there. Of course Stihl isn't a 50 hour throw away.

People have told me that Stihls take longer to break in than do Huskys. About all I can say is that my little 2149 definitely starts a lot easier now that it's had 10 or so tankfuls through it. It seems faster as well which is probably the case, but without some timed cuts some of this perception may just be placebo effect. The next new saw that I get, I'll have to do some timed cuts out of the box and thereafter to see. Of course, no new saw I buy in the future will ever be stock.

power vs. break-in-time

On the Stihl 260 I bought last week my dealer told me run 10 tanks thru it and bring it back to have it adjusted.

Yeah, I know Husky has their dealers (or used to) set the carb on adjustable saws rich on the high side for break in, and then reset them after so many tankfuls. I just did it myself as they do charge to take it back. I have noticed a significant difference in my 55. When I first got it I also briefly had an 026, and it would smoke my 55 brand new. But now its broken in and has a Walkerized muffler and is a different saw. If I didnt like the .325 on it so much I would put 3/8 on it

Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
. I just did it myself as they do charge to take it back.
What kind of dealer would charge for a re-adjustment after break in? That's not good business.

daveb,

The one's that don't care about their costumers thats for sure I have never been charged for any re-adjust,hell I spend so much money at my saw shop I get free tune ups and if he's not too busy he'll grind my chains for free as well now thats costumer service...:D

Later Rob..

Maybe he wanted to charge because I got such a good deal on the saw (My 55 was $279:D )

I was kind of perturbed at the time too, but he has helped me on a few other things over time.

My last 46 turned 15000 after they adusted it i've not checked since about 8mo. old still cutting strong.

Man, i'd like to get a hold of that for this local saw contest an blow there doors off, bet that thing has power to spare.

Back