Powerhead options for 60" cut capacity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any advantage to running an 880 with a fully adjustable carb (to manually run richer) as to a 661 MTron? The little research I have done in the past has said it was a bad idea to run an MTron on a mill but there was nothing definitive. You seem to have been running this 661 quite a bit so I think that answers that question just fine. However, given the greater load of 80+ inches, is it worth thinking further upon?

My 661 starts first pull...except one strange day when it gave me a fit for an hour. After dicking with it for what seemed like forever, I slapped the 461 in the big mill and cut some big slabs.

I really, really, really like the 661. But after running them side by side in the same log....I really feel the 461 is closer on it's heels than I ever knew. The difference is power was only noticed when I pushed too hard. The 661 recovers quicker. When feed rate is correct, the 461 cuts just as fast. That was Hickory...I think in the 34" ballpark.

I use the 090 to pull 60" and 87", you simply cant fail with torque and steady chain speed, with .404 chain nothing will stop you and you dont have to sharpen any where near as much as 3/8. I wouldn't bother mucking around with two power heads and double end bars, its far to time consuming. I do alot of milling and have found this setup by far the most reliable.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts! Great pictures!!!

Back