Pre-Soak Carb Rebuild parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbuc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Watched a Tillotson video which advised pre-soaking gaskets and diaphrams in gas so they will seal better when installed. Apparently the longer soak time, the better. Do any of you folks do the pre-soak? Thanks.

In the video he says "we're filming indoors so we won't be using gasoline for presoak"
Well, there's your answer... I don't know how many people rebuild carburetors outdoors but I sure don't. I drain all fuel tanks and purge carbs before I bring them in to work on.

Ive always sprayed the gaskets with wd40 before assembling. Can be the difference between a leaking gasket and one that seals.

I think if you were going to do an immediate pressure test after the rebuild, you would get more accurate results soaking the parts.

I guess the important question is will the gaskets self-seal eventually if you do not pre-soak. If I had to re-torque the carb after a few hours of service it would be a PITA because you can not get to the bottom screws without a lot of disassembly. I am planning to pre-soak for at least a few hours just to be on the safe side.

Watched a Tillotson video which advised pre-soaking gaskets and diaphrams in gas so they will seal better when installed. Apparently the longer soak time, the better. Do any of you folks do the pre-soak? Thanks.

But in response to the first post...... "NO!!!!"

This is a silly thread!!! Yes, you maybe able to make a 35 year old diaphram more supple by soaking it in something strong, but this would not ever be even a "quick" fix......

Latest posts

Back