Preference of climbing saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topndrop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone out there have a clear preference in climbing saws (chain saws I mean)? I currently use the Echo 3400 series with a 14" bar. Any thoughts? Snide Comments? Nasty Remarks? :)

ms200t.jpg

Lightly tweaked 335xpt with a 12" bar, light, cheap, and cuts as good as an 020. I wont pay the price for a new MS200. They aint that good. :blob2:

ms200 is just as good as the 020 it replaced except for those stupid caps. The screw idea worked good for thousands of years but it is still an awesome saw. Not a big Stihl lover but this saw is the pride of their fleet. I dropped one from about 80ft and it was still running when I got down, just the brake was busted. Big balls for a little saw. A picture is worth a thousand words see above from M.B.. Just my opinion but Stihl in the air and Husky on the ground always.

Bossman HATES Husq. saws... don't know why... Am leaning towards Stihl or Echo. M.B., what model is that stihl so I can look up the specs?

I'd say look into the new MS192T.  There's a thread from yesterday by "Frans" with a picture in it.  I guess it weighs next to nothing and will retail for about $270.

Glen

I chose the Stihl 019T/191T for its ergonomics. The really lowered the weight on the 192T so that is interesting-I wish it had the handle configuration of the 019T.

The MS 200 is my favorite. It has better power and balance than the Husky. I think the air filtration on the MS 200 is better too. We got a Husky test saw to demo. My boss told me to run it into the ground. I used it for two days and then gave it to the number two climber, who used it a day or two and gave it to the number three. The spark plug cover always comes off on the Husky. One time after it came off I got shocked right on 'the unit.' :cry: I'd hate for that to happen to anyone else.

As for the Echo, its a great trim saw for the money, but not for wrecking.

topndrop said:
Am leaning towards Stihl or Echo.

Lets see............Stihl = $450 ................... Echo = $250..............

Thats quite a bit of leaning difference.

Im using the 3000 model Echo. I dont like the muffler covers tendency to break, but a replacement is only bout $2 so you can buy a crap load of covers for 200 bucks. And the CS3000 is only $200.

I know I can hear you guys yacking about the higher hp, dont knock it till ya try one, worth every penny,...etc., but its kind of like the hand saw thread of a yr ago when a member claimed they were a better arborist because of thier high dollar silky saw and how it made a better impression on homeowners.

Sure, in a way id like to have one of the stihls just to try one but the high price is the biggest setbacks.

okie, money isn't the object (as long as it's not mine :) )... actually interested in the difference it will have on down-time for maint, repair and usability in the tree. I kinda like the way the Echo handles but it seems to lack power when it comes to the larger limbs especially on really hard trees like hickory. Just looking for opinions before I go to the boss with a recommendation. He will buy what I tell him 'cause it's me in the tree with the dang thing after all. I just don't want to waste his money and my time with a lemon. :) Thanks for the input I am going to check them all out.

BTW, is it even worth the time to look at used saws or do they become more of a pain in the butt than thy are worth new?

I think you're missing the point that the MS192T is in the same relative class as the Echo and is about the same price.  It doesn't have remarkable balls that the MS200T has, but it doesn't carry the weight or the price, either.

I got it glens, :)

I was just wondering if the extra money was worth it for a little more "OOOMPH" or not. Long range, say 2-3 years... what saw is going to be a better deal both cost-effective and productive in the tree. Or am I expecting too much out of the equipment?

I mean, the Echo we have is fine... but if there is a smarter and better way of going then, by all means. I will certainly give the MS192T a hard look. Thanks.

I am with MB, he is who sold me on my MS200T.

Get an MS200, open up the muffler, retune the carb, and you will cut like mad. I have pics of the modded muffler if you need them, they are in the chainsaw forum.

There has to be a reason the MS200 cost so much or else they wouldnt sell them, and they would discontiune them.

The 200 is a remakable saw. Get it, you wont regret the money spent.

attachment_21311.php

Okie 500 bucks isn't that much for the top of the line trim saw. I've owned all three and there is nothing wrong w/ an echo 3400, the 3000 however is a joke, my zubat will out perform it and won't drip oil all over the place as it idles. If you're going to be doing any decent amount of removal work then in my opinion the 200t is the only way to go. You can go other routes however none of the other saws will put up w/ the day in day out abuse. You can count on getting close to 5yrs of full time service out of every 200t. That is unless you drop it. If i'm putting a saw into a top notch climbers hands its got to be the 200t. I save the echo for the newbies and groundman. I wouldn't disrespect a good climber that way.

Back