Preparing Chrome Cylinders?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

At least I think that it is chrome. Normally I use red Scotchbrite on Nikasil cylinders which works well to roughen up the bore for new rings. However, red Scotchbrite doesn't touch whatever this cylinder is plated with which makes me think it is hard chrome plated.

Suggestions on how to proceed?

Hello,

At least I think that it is chrome. Normally I use red Scotchbrite on Nikasil cylinders which works well to roughen up the bore for new rings. However, red Scotchbrite doesn't touch whatever this cylinder is plated with which makes me think it is hard chrome plated.

Suggestions on how to proceed?
I was under the impression that Nikasil was a lot harder than chrome.

Get the dingleberry hone, the hatch pattern is much better compared to hand sanding plus there is a lesser chance of sanding the cylinder out of round or going through the plating
It is, and honing it is pointless. If you have an abrasive that will cut it, you'll cut right through it. It's very thin.

Finger honed 036.036 piston scored.jpeg036 intake cleaned.jpeg036 cylinder ex cleaned.jpeg

This cylinder was honed with a 240 grit aluminum oxide flex hone. Two key points here. You must use the proper size hone, and use lubricant. I do this in a solvent tank with solvent running into the cylinder as I’m running the hone. Three strokes clockwise, three strokes counterclockwise is generally all it takes. Finish looks rough in the pictures but I can assure you it’s very smooth. Almost glass like.
IMG_0268.jpegIMG_0270.jpeg

Finish looks rough in the pictures but I can assure you it’s very smooth. Almost glass like.
Viewing angle and lighting angle. At an off angle the cylinder looks almost mirror but straight on through the exhaust port you can see some fine scratches with the light from the bottom of the bore.

How many newer stihl cylinders have you been into? They shine like a mirror with no crosshatch.
OEM Stihl, no crosshatch.

Crosshatch was for cast iron lined cylinders, those would wear in with the rings.

An aggressive crosshatch on a plated cylinder will wear out the rings

cylinder 7.jpg

OEM Stihl, no crosshatch.

Crosshatch was for cast iron lined cylinders, those would wear in with the rings.

An aggressive crosshatch on a plated cylinder will wear out the rings

View attachment 1104467
So what you are saying is to just install new rings and run it?

Cylinder in question does show some faint (factory?) abrasion in areas where the piston didn't travel so it looks like there was a little roughness originally to help seat the rings.

So what you are saying is to just install new rings and run it?

Cylinder in question does show some faint (factory?) abrasion in areas where the piston didn't travel so it looks like there was a little roughness originally to help seat the rings.
What I did about 8 years ago along with a gasket delete. Runs like a top

Latest posts

Back