Price for used 262xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westbrooklawn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How does $250 sound for a used 262 xp in decent running condition? Have a chance to get one and would appreciate comments.

250 is a pretty big gamble on used. i wouldnt go that way unless u know its pretty dang good and it fits your needs
real well.jmho

I just bought one from ebay for 263 with shipping, and it's one heck of a good saw. If it's in good shape, has good compression and low hours, I'll buy it for $250. However, if you can't tell how many hours it has been run, I might stay clear. Look at the air filter, the rim sprocket, and the underside and right side of the saw for an indication of how much use it's had. If the saw will not drop under it's own weight while holding the pull start cord, then compression is good.

TonyM,

Regarding checking compression by hanging the saw from the starter cord: Bear in mind that sometime in the mid '90's Husky added a compression release to the 262xp. I bought a new 262 in the early 90's that was the first year for the compression release. My cousin had a 262 from the previous year. He went thru dozens of starter cords, mine was still on the original when I lost it in an accident.

Wether or not its is worth it I dont Know, but If you were to run that saw over a farm auction it would bring the $250 in my part of the woods. Theres a lot of people that would say that if a saw costs 500 new it would be worth half price easy if good, on the used market. I have seen used stihls and huskys bring almost new price at auctions. They very seldom sell cheap.

hard to say without seeing it or having knowledge of it. i have a 268 and a 272 with fresh motors in them and i am asking just a little bit more than that. when you deal with saw the way i do you learn lots of things to look for and look at. can you take compression on this saw? marty

compression test

I have a standard automotive compression guage which I can use to test the compression. How many cranks should get max compression, and what kind of compression should I be seeing if it is "good"?

I am also hearing that the 262xp was a single ring saw, and that makes me hesitate on buying it.

Back