Price of a Makita DCS6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What should one expect to pay for a Makita DCS6401 with a 20 inch bar. This is a new saw.
Thanks in advance.

New I have seen them at $399-$450. But you can get one year old used rentals from home depot for $150. They use the 6401 as their rental saws.

Cut4fun said:
New I have seen them at $399-$450. But you can get one year old used rentals from home depot for $150. They use the 6401 as their rental saws.

OK i was offered a new one for 499....not a good deal i see.
Rob

Makita DCS 6401-20

I bought one on ebay for about $300. There are more out there in fairly new condition. You need to watch out though, Consumer Reports posted a recall from the manufacturer for this model saw with the last five serial numbers 41915 through 45612 -or- 81722 through 82057. Had something to do with the flywheel coming apart. But I understand that Makita will make it right if you contact them about it. You'll need to go check the recall posting your self because I'm subject to screw things up from time to time.

computeruser said:
How/where does Home Depot sell these saws?
Inside Home depot they have a rent-a-tool for your homeowner needs. After about a year of rentals on a chainsaw they sell them off to the first person with cash. They usally have 2 at a time also. I just looked at 2 the other day and they even appear like new, just scratches on the outsde plastic.

sounds like a good deal on the hd saw. but remember jq public.will use any mix and probably someofum just pour a little poulan mix in the gas . id wanta look real hard at the piston.. also no matter what qulity makita is if a saw spends a yr being used to do stuff, a man dont want to use his own saw on, it may be more used up than u think. not sayin u want get a good saw. just the possibilities ,that came to mind. good luck.

What is wrong with Poulan mix? Because I have about a 1/2 a case of 3.2 ounce bottles and some guys are even running the stuff in Stihls:laugh: If a person is worried about a rental saw, rent it for a day before you buy.

The rental guy at HD stated that he sends each saw out with a full tank of mix and that most homeowner rentals have never used up the tank on return. Then he stated that he goes through each saw after return, before next rental. Only thing he said that has gone wrong on one of these saws is a chain adjuster broke once.

At the local HD they send them out with a gallon of mix as well. Good idea to do that. They also put on a new chain everytime. They use the bumper link (chipper or semi-chisel) carlton chain and a 20 inch Carlton Timber champ bar.

I bought one from them last year for $200 + tax. I did have to order new clutch springs and the mesh filter had a little tear so I replaced that as well. It has 165 compression although used.

I have a lot of saws but that HD 6401 is by far my favorite. I don't cut wood without it. I recently cut a bunch of locust with my 2094 and that 6401. With a 20" bar the 6401 is really unstoppable even with chipper chain. If I only could have 1 saw that would be it (possibly the 7900 since it would have more power for almost the same weight). Based on how much I liked the 6401 I bought a 7900 powerhead new for $515 shipped but haven't put a bar on it yet.

Latest posts

Back