Price of a straight gassed 395?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I might have a lead on a 395 that was straight gassed. The owner does not know if he wants to sell it or not. I dont know how old the saw is, or the condition. I did see it about a year ago and if I remember right it wasnt in that bad of shape. (as far as I know, it hasnt been run for about a year.)

What would be a good price to offer him? Pending everything else is in good shape.

A oem p&c is going to be every bit of $225, maybe more or less depending on where ya get it. I'd offer $300-400. You might even get lucky and only need a piston.

2K just said he would offer 300-400 for a Husky:dizzy:
But that doesnt sound like too bad of a deal- tie 700$ in a 1000+$ powerhead.
Might even get by cheaper. Worth a shot anyways.

i would never pay 3-4 hundred dollars for a straight gassed saw, i wouldnt pay over 100 bucks. hell i only paid 200 for a running 044

There may be numerous other things wrong inside it too, it might need a total overhaul....that could get real pricey fast. That's why you need to make a lower offer, to give yourself some margin to work with if it needs more parts than a piston/cylinder.

Look it over real good and make some mental notes, then bring it all back here for a more informed opinion.

There may be numerous other things wrong inside it too, it might need a total overhaul....that could get real pricey fast. That's why you need to make a lower offer, to give yourself some margin to work with if it needs more parts than a piston/cylinder.

Look it over real good and make some mental notes, then bring it all back here for a more informed opinion.

What I know about this saw is what I said. This saw is owned by a old-timer who does not want to get rid of it, even though he hasnt cut with it for over a year. I am talking to his kids. They dont know if they should sell it or not. I showed some interest in it, and they said that I dont want it because it has been straight gassed. I told them perfect, I am looking for a project.

From what I understand, the old man does not want to sell it, kids want it gone. The only way I will get a chance to look at it is if I give them a offer. Then I will look at the saw.

First off, I need a price to offer
Second, if they say yea what are some red flags to look for that will tell me it needs more than a piston and cylinder? After that I will come back and post more questions.

i wouldnt offer more then 150.
you could buy that saw at a husky shop for 20-50 bucks.

i wouldnt offer more then 150.
you could buy that saw at a husky shop for 20-50 bucks.
I'll take all of them you can get for 20-50 bucks and then give you a 100 bucks each plus shipping . You will make a little money and I will make a lot.

they usualy charge the custmer 35 bucks or something for an hour worth of labor to trouble shoot the saw. then when the dealer tells the customers its 300 dollars parts and 200 labor to fix the saw. the custemer then decided to just buy a new one and the dealer is stuck with the saw.

so far ive picked up a
084 044 044 440 024 and just today a 260. none of these cost more then 50 bucks and bought from dealers theres dealer that as 3 or 4 028 a few 038s and some older looking stihls all 50 bucks or less.

ive checked with husky dealers and i can get the same deal 30 bucks non running, you gota be there at the right time before they throw them away

What I know about this saw is what I said. This saw is owned by a old-timer who does not want to get rid of it, even though he hasnt cut with it for over a year. I am talking to his kids. They dont know if they should sell it or not. I showed some interest in it, and they said that I dont want it because it has been straight gassed. I told them perfect, I am looking for a project.

From what I understand, the old man does not want to sell it, kids want it gone. The only way I will get a chance to look at it is if I give them a offer. Then I will look at the saw.

First off, I need a price to offer
Second, if they say yea what are some red flags to look for that will tell me it needs more than a piston and cylinder? After that I will come back and post more questions.

New ones are selling for a hair over a grand. A decent running used one would be worth around half the price of a new one...roughly $450.-$600. depending on condition. A mint used one could be worth up to $700.-$900. A beat up used running one could go for $300.-$400. So let's assume that the saw is decent other than the fact it needs a piston/cylinder. The piston/cylinder is around $250. or so if you get an OEM one. I would take the aforementioned $450.-$650. and take the price for the piston/cylinder off and call it around $200.-$350., depending how bad you want it. I'd start at $200. or $250. and see where it goes.

No way in Hell I'd pay 3-400$ for a burned up saw. I probably wouldn't even pay $100, I've got 2 free 395's this way, one burned up, lean run. One a guy used a scrench as a piston stop, and messed up piston and cylinder, I've got a 394 for free as well. Helps to know people. I Paid $80 for an almost new 357xp that was straight gassed.

$100 is not bad, you can get your money back parting it out, even if the crank is gone. Which it could be, if maybe the crank or bearings went and took out the top end. Its a real pain when you think just the top end of a saw or bottom end is toast, to find out that both are fried. Then that is a pricey and big job.

No way in Hell I'd pay 3-400$ for a burned up saw. I probably wouldn't even pay $100, I've got 2 free 395's this way, one burned up, lean run. One a guy used a scrench as a piston stop, and messed up piston and cylinder, I've got a 394 for free as well. Helps to know people. I Paid $80 for an almost new 357xp that was straight gassed.

"Helps to know people"......I know you, next time you get a lead on a free saw, send it in my direction!!!!

There have been some good points made. Would definately help to know the actual problem with the saw. I walked away with mine for 100$, the edge of the exhaust side port, where the muffler bolted on was cracked off, over tightening I guess. Had to have a chain brake too, but went ahead with a new OEM, then a bar and chain. But had the cylinder welded to build up the material, then had to have it machined. Luckily I cut and split wood for the welder, so he did it as a favor. And the machinist is my uncle. But with out the favors id have over 600 in a saw probably. Better than the 300$+ OEM cylinder that I seen.

The offer is going to come down to you. The worst they can say is no. Just pay what you feel it is worth.

Back