Price on dropping a few trees from a tree service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would jump on $200 per tree. Out here in Oregon, Ive heard of people paying $400.00 per tree to drop it and leave it.

I would do it for the wood if it were a close friend or relative, but I won't take business/money away from the licensed people.

I would offer this advice, pay a professional with insurance; you never know what can happen. For example, when we logged our land a GDF limb plunged 4 feet into the ground and through a phone line in the middle of a forest....could be a gas line, septic or electrical...

Pay a professional. Its aginst the law to pay an unlicensed contractor for services in Oregon.

You will be more satisfied if you have a pro do it.

400$ a tree to just drop it an leave it lol. friend you never been to my neck of the woods >.O
and if you wanna be really on the ball try following me around and telling my customers they cant hire me for services cause im not lisenced, im smart enough to pass on jobs that are beyond my skill level (i have on several occasions told customers that they need to contact a professional.) but what i do i do just as well as any pro. infact tech i am a pro. just not lisenced. wait i dont believe you have to be lisenced to fall a tree in oregon.

Last edited:
So the important question has not been asked: Do you have dibs on the wood?

No. we are going to buck/split/sell it, put the $$ back into the community hall coffer. I will try to get some pics and post them of the scene if I get some time (too busy w/garden, canning!). I can understand the $3K, not easy drops at all. I myself am looking at getting the same company to drop 2 of them on my property, one dead oak, and a big pine, right between 2 outbuildings....probably around $400 to do... I don't mind dropping trees in the open, but don't want my buildings smashed if I screw up if I drop them.
I dunno what you pros pay annually fro liability, but it was getting pretty salty when I got out of the plbg./HVAC biz 11 yrs. ago, and I don't do side work anymore cuz I don't carry insurance.

I can't quote the ORS but if a person would advertise in the paper "Landscaper, arborist, forester, logger, painter or contractor they must be licensed through the state. The entire law is based on a person receiving money for services.
If you look in the classified section of any paper under "services", you will see the ORS.

Funny you should mention that you are as good as any pro; I don't doubt it.

The contractor tests in Oregon have little or nothing to do with the actual task, (except for landscaping, they have to demonstrate abilities) The contractor test are all about BOLI, Contracts, EPA, OSHA etc. There are lots of people out there as good at or better than licensed people, I was referrting to the millions of dollars of insurance that a licensed person brings with them to each job site.

What the Oregon's secretary of state representative told me was that if an unlicensed person performs construction, painting, tree surgery or trimming service, electrical, plumbing etc for compensation in any way, they are breaking the law.

I have felled trees for people and I am not liscened/bonded or anything. I am a friend helping a friend and he wants to give me a few bucks as a thankyou than thats his business. Thats how I get around it.

I can't quote the ORS but if a person would advertise in the paper "Landscaper, arborist, forester, logger, painter or contractor they must be licensed through the state. The entire law is based on a person receiving money for services.
If you look in the classified section of any paper under "services", you will see the ORS.

Funny you should mention that you are as good as any pro; I don't doubt it.

The contractor tests in Oregon have little or nothing to do with the actual task, (except for landscaping, they have to demonstrate abilities) The contractor test are all about BOLI, Contracts, EPA, OSHA etc. There are lots of people out there as good at or better than licensed people, I was referrting to the millions of dollars of insurance that a licensed person brings with them to each job site.

What the Oregon's secretary of state representative told me was that if an unlicensed person performs construction, painting, tree surgery or trimming service, electrical, plumbing etc for compensation in any way, they are breaking the law.

well, i dont advertise for my services i dont do this work full time. i get all my businus through word of mouth i give people pretty good deals, and if there happens to be a job for example that has a tree leaning over a house or building or anything to do with powerlines i will recomend they call somone lisenced and insured. I will not put myself at risk when it comes to property damage. i will continue to do this the way iv been doing it, and i am working towards becoming lisenced and insured, as thats where the money is. oh and also i didnt know i was breaking the law when i was ten years old, and had posters up advertising that i would mow lawns for 10$. you sound a bit anal if you dont mind me saying so, and if you do mind your sol

Last edited:
that is why you have a good work ethic.

you were taught as a child to earn money if you wanted something.

proves a simple point,look at the majority of kids today.handed everything and expected to do nothing.

like i always say,just cause it's the law,don't make it right.

you were taught as a child to earn money if you wanted something.

proves a simple point,look at the majority of kids today.handed everything and expected to do nothing.

You hit the nail square on the head on that one. Me and my dad run our family farm with one other employee. We dont need another employee, but we need another hand for a few hours a few days a week. Granted they are not the nicest jobs, but everyone has to start somewhere. We have been getting kids in this summer so they can be trained by the time school comes around, then they have a nice job after school for a couple of hours.

Shoot, we cannt keep kids around, they stick around for about 2 weeks then quite because it wasnt a "fun" job, or they didnt get to drive tractors. Or they dont quite, but we have to fire them because they never show up to work, because they are playing with friends.

When I was a little boy I was doing everything they do, but my dad wouldnt let me quit. He always told me if you start a job commit to it for at least a year. And I also knew if I didnt work I wouldnt get money.

I was also the only 16 year old at school who owned my own car, and it was a pretty nice car too, and the only kid school that owned my own 4--wheelers. Yea, other kids had the stuff I did, but they had it because mommie and daddie bought it for them.

This country needs a good learning in Work Ethic.

Thanks to Super3 who came up my way to give me a hand we got them down on the ground with no problems. The smallest was a 27" Pin oak, and the largest was a 45" maple.

Now the work of bucking them up and getting rid of the brush.

Thanks to Super3 who came up my way to give me a hand we got them down on the ground with no problems. The smallest was a 27" Pin oak, and the largest was a 45" maple.

Now the work of bucking them up and getting rid of the brush.

awesome that you didnt have to pay that is really cool. i bet you learned a lot too:cheers:

awesome that you didnt have to pay that is really cool. i bet you learned a lot too:cheers:

Heck yea, I wish I knew 1/1000th of what he knows. He forgot more in the past second about wood cutting and saws that I have learned in the past year. I wish I knew someone local like him to teach me.

Heck yea, I wish I knew 1/1000th of what he knows. He forgot more in the past second about wood cutting and saws that I have learned in the past year. I wish I knew someone local like him to teach me.

I don't know about braggin me up that much........but hey,thanks for swellin my head up a little.

Back