Privacy tree or bush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdiphill

Reaction score
Hello

I need some suggestions as to what to purchase for a privacy tree or plant. I'm looking for somehting that grows fairly quickly to 20 - 25 feet and 15-20 ft wide. I live in the city (Boston) and my back yard is mostly sun. This would be located in an open corner to block out a few 2 families behind me. As a side note my wife loves the typical fall colors as well.

Regards,
Fred

Hawthorn?

http://landscaping.about.com/od/floweringtrees/p/hawthorn_trees.htm

http://www.arborjet.com/problems-solutions/images/leafchewing3.jpg

copied
Characteristics of Washington Hawthorn Trees:
Generally speaking, Washington hawthorn trees attain a height of 25'-35', with a spread of 25'-35'. They produce white blooms in clusters, in late spring to early summer. The flowers yield to red berries that persist throughout winter and are eaten by birds, such as cedar waxwings. The bark of Washington hawthorn trees is attractive, and the branches bear thorns. Summer leaves are a shiny, dark green; fall foliage ranges from orange to red.
Sun and Soil Requirements for Washington Hawthorn Trees:
Grow Washington hawthorn trees in full sun, where the soil has good drainage. Washington hawthorn trees are reasonably drought-tolerant.
Uses for Washington Hawthorn Trees in Landscape Design:
Washington hawthorn trees are attractive enough to be treated as specimens, and their foliage is dense enough for them to be used en masse as privacy screens. Some homeowners take advantage of the thorns of Washington hawthorn trees and prune them into security hedges.
Other Hawthorns:
Washington hawthorn trees are native to the Southeastern U.S. But they are not the only hawthorns. Indian hawthorns (Rhaphiolepis indica) are broadleaf evergreens that are cold hardy only to zone 7. Note that they're of an entirely different genus. English hawthorns (Crataegus laevigata) are sacred to the fairies in formerly Celtic lands. They're part of the "fairy-tree triad" that also includes oak and ash. Legend has it that where all three of these trees grow together, one may see fairies.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/floweringtrees/p/hawthorn_trees.htm

http://www.arborjet.com/problems-solutions/images/leafchewing3.jpg

copied
Characteristics of Washington Hawthorn Trees:
Generally speaking, Washington hawthorn trees attain a height of 25'-35', with a spread of 25'-35'. They produce white blooms in clusters, in late spring to early summer. The flowers yield to red berries that persist throughout winter and are eaten by birds, such as cedar waxwings. The bark of Washington hawthorn trees is attractive, and the branches bear thorns. Summer leaves are a shiny, dark green; fall foliage ranges from orange to red.
Sun and Soil Requirements for Washington Hawthorn Trees:
Grow Washington hawthorn trees in full sun, where the soil has good drainage. Washington hawthorn trees are reasonably drought-tolerant.
Uses for Washington Hawthorn Trees in Landscape Design:
Washington hawthorn trees are attractive enough to be treated as specimens, and their foliage is dense enough for them to be used en masse as privacy screens. Some homeowners take advantage of the thorns of Washington hawthorn trees and prune them into security hedges.
Other Hawthorns:
Washington hawthorn trees are native to the Southeastern U.S. But they are not the only hawthorns. Indian hawthorns (Rhaphiolepis indica) are broadleaf evergreens that are cold hardy only to zone 7. Note that they're of an entirely different genus. English hawthorns (Crataegus laevigata) are sacred to the fairies in formerly Celtic lands. They're part of the "fairy-tree triad" that also includes oak and ash. Legend has it that where all three of these trees grow together, one may see fairies.

A few more to look into, Japanese Tree Lilac, crabapple(Malus "Profusion" , "Indian summer", "Coral Burst"), Amur maple, Red maple, Redbud, Serviceberry, Kousa dogwood, Cornelian cherry...

And the list continues:

Golden Chain Tree, Laburnum x watereri 'Vossii'
Goldenrain Tree, Koelreuteria paniculata
Chinese fringe tree, Chionanthus retusus
Red buckeye, Aesculus pavia
Devil's Walking Stick, Aralia elata 'Variegata'
Smoke Tree, Cotinus coggygria
American Smoke Tree, Cotinus obovatus
Green Hawthorn, Crataegus viridis 'Winter king' (My personal favorite of the hawthorns, but I really like many of them.
Carolina silverbell, Halesia carolina
Kosar hybrid magnolia, Magnolia x lilifora
Ballerina loebner magnolia, Magnolia x loebneri 'Ballerina'
Saucer magnolia, Magnolia x soulangeana
Pink star magnolia, Magnolia stellata 'Rosea'
Species of flowering crabs, cherries, almonds simply abound.
Chinese pistache, Pistacia chinensis
Amur chokecherry, Prunus maackii

And this doesn't even address all of the "large shrubs/small tree" category which, since they tend to be multi-stemmed might suit your purposes better.

Can you give a more visual on your planting site? You stated it is an open corner in the back yard with full sun, which is helpful. But is it northeast or northwest, southeast or west etc. Is this a grass area or planting bed already. Are you planning on more flowers, shrubs, plants in the future? Do you have your outdoor eating area here? If a flowering tree/shrub, do you have color choices? Any allergies? Many beautiful blooming trees can become a nightmare if you can't breath during the entire season they are displaying.

Take a trip to your local nursery or arboretum and see what they have you like, then possibly devise a short list and ask for comments on those. Many trees which sound good on the tag, have inherent problems that we as professionals have become familiar with. Of course, the arborists in your area will hopefully respond as they will be the most informed with the choices you may make. For instance in my list above, I chose plants suitable for Zone 4b to about 6b, but that may or may not be best for where you are situated.

It is always fun to try to help someone select a plant so don't be shy about vocalizing likes and dislikes. Trees are an investment both in time and money so it is really frustrating to discover 5 years down the road, that the selection wasn't what you were expecting.

Sylvia

yes visit the arnold arboretum for ideas.

if you want 12 months screen you must think about winter and how dense the screen is then. vines can be trained up trees to increase screen. on trellises, some vines can give you 20' of screen in one season!

Vines, yes, an excellent idea; a living fence. Wisteria pops to mind.

Sylvia

Photinias make a great privacy hedge

Have you considered photinias to provide a year-round screen? However, they probably won't exceed 15-ft tall, and I'm not sure in what hardiness zone Boston is. They do really well in our Oklahoma winters with minimal freeze damage, but single digit lows are the exception, not the rule, here.

Some great ideas here. I was wondering about the bamboo, doesn't it get pretty invasive?

If you have enough, consider several varieties, some fast growing to get you there fast, and since those typically don't last as long, back them up with good solid trees like many of those mentioned, or some nice spruce/pine/cedar.

I planted some hybrid poplars and willows about 6 or 7 years ago, the poplars were 20' in 4 or 5 years, and are now dying off. The willows are now the same and thicker/healthier for the most part, but have had a few die off and lost some branches due to ice storm. Already have 2 nice spruce trees and a volunteer oak backing those up. Looking to add more evergreen.

Many of the above selections are good ideas. BUT...

If you want rapid growth, you should consider some of the taller growing bushes. They grow quickly, most can be hacked back to the size you want. Most trees planted for screens do a poor job of screening the ground level by the time they get big enough to provide a taller screen .

I like leather leaf viburnum (common name) for screening hedges. They are semi-evergreen, and hang on to their leaves all winter if the weather is mild enough. They form an impenetrable visual barrier, some varieties grow to 20 feet tall, and they can be kept sheared to a narrow profile. VERY hardy plants, they even have attractive flowers.

Unlike the evergreens, if a portion of them gets damaged, it will grow back from the roots. If you decide they are too big, you can hack them down to size without fear of harming them.

Check your local nurseries. Most of the newer varieties have been selected for smaller growth habit and prettier foliage. The older varieties are probably what you will be most interested in. Please be aware that there are MANY varieties of viburnum, ranging in sizes from small to tall.

Most people that want foliage screens are not interested in losing all their back yard area to the vegetation. The tall narrow bushes sheared to 4'-6' wide often give a nice screen without hogging up the yard.

Just another thought, they are not for everyone.

Latest posts

Back