Privacy tree's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a large lot but I'm on a road I consider busy. I'm at a bend in the road and when cars go by at night there head lights shine through my windows. So my plan is to plant some trees but I want to enjoy them before I die.lol I'm in north Carolina and Bradford pears grow well here. What do you guys think?

Bradford pears

nice but as Bradford pears a deciduous tree your screen not be solid year round.... are there any over head power line or much underground infrastructure to consider is another thought...i'll leave it to state side to choose as not au fait with your other likely choices.. orrr mayybe Neighbours-Be-Gone are a select form of lilly pilly

A map and a couple pics will get you better advice, definitely wouldn't recommend the Bradley pear for this situation.
...or any situation for that matter :)

Some ideas to explore, but you need to look more at your soils, etc...
Arborvitae (green giants grow really fast...there are other cultivars that look nicer)
Boxwood
Austree (deciduous)
Holly
Rhododendron
Azalea
Pine (loblolly, longleaf, shortleaf, white, pitch, Virginia, table mountain, etc.... REALLY depends on where in NC you are!)
Eastern redcedar
Leyland cypress (as mentioned above)
Crepemyrtle
Red osier or silky dogwood
Forsythia
Hemlock

If you go with pines, avoid the 5 needle pines, pines whose leaves grow in clumps of 5. They are susceptible to too many disease problems.

I like the lealand cypress but what I think is blight is killing a lot of them around here. Dog woods are something I had not thought of though. I have two on the property and they grow great, beautiful trees when they bloom too. How fast do they grow and how deep do the roots grow?

Thanks all. Jason.

+1 on the suggestion of holly. Holly is a hardy tree, they grow fairly quickly when fertilized, can be trimmed to suit and they're green all year round. The leaves are rather thick when compared to deciduous specimens, thus better at absorbing/blocking traffic noise.

+1 on the suggestion of holly. Holly is a hardy tree, they grow fairly quickly when fertilized, can be trimmed to suit and they're green all year round. The leaves are rather thick when compared to deciduous specimens, thus better at absorbing/blocking traffic noise.

Plus the leaves have sharp points which discourages the neighborhood thugs from passing through.

Back