pro mac 10-10 muffler???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeinstine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, i picked up a nice, running Pro mac 10-10. Late model one with the black chain brake handle.. Its in pretty nice shape, but is LOUD as HELL! There is no muffler on it, but it does have a small deflector plate to 'kinda' move the exhuast outward. But it just doesnt seem right, this thing is so loud, its just unbelievable.. I'm thinking someone removed the muffler and installed the deflector as maybe a performance enhancement?? I searched ebay to look at other similar saws, and i seen more without the muffler, but there are some that had it..

Whats the scoop???

Anyone have a muffler for this thing for sale???

Thanks
Ron

All they did is just open it up. A lot of people do that. What about the airfilter did they take that out to?

You fellas must be jokin' first of all you would end up deaf, secondly fuel to air ratio would change and the chance of running it too lean with the chance of seizing the unit.
McCulloch added reed valves to the exhaust for more reason than one.
My advise try and obtain a replacement unit and keep the exhaust system complete.

Mc Bob.

Thats why i said to richen it up till it 4 cycles. I think it is mildly rude to post replies that contradict or completly disregard things others have said in previous posts. But no offence taken.

Wear ear plugs, you should be regardless od loudness.

Thats why i said to richen it up till it 4 cycles. I think it is mildly rude to post replies that contradict or completly disregard things others have said in previous posts. But no offence taken.

Wear ear plugs, you should be regardless of loudness.

Parts place in Ohio...

As the other fellow mentioned, I've had GREAT experiences with Randy's small engine up in Ohio...he posts a lot on ebay, and has a lot of old OEM McCulloch parts, which I have put on my old 10-10 and a few Eager Beavers.

Chris

Just about any of the "10" series saws will interchange parts.Most likely you can find the whole saw for the price of the muffler.In case you hadn't noticed,all these were loud.If you want just the muffler, that gent in Fayetteville Ny is a good one to deal with,I've had good luck.

056 kid said:

Wear ear plugs, you should be regardless of loudness.

I think this could be part of the reason why you do not learn from the other posters.
Here is a collection of very good saw guy's and they can answer just about any question, if asked correct.
If you go and pass "bad" info around someone will suffer sooner or later, might even be yourself. It is important that we are as correct as possible in our posts as it can be expensive and / or dangerous otherwise.

Bob is one to listen very carefully on, as many others here he tinkered with saws long before you and I was even considered a possibility.

Post like this reflect how you feel about others, I write this for you to see a bit further up the hill.

Thanks Mange,

If McCulloch like Stihl or Husqvarna put something on a saw model they make then thats how it's meant to be. Now i didn't mean to contradicte anyone but after some of the ideas i see floating around this forum i'm kinda glad it's not my saw your tinkering with.

Sure the 10 series is loud but that's life but no muffler is worse and if for some reason or other something finds its way into the exhaust then you will end up with a metal grinder not a chainsaw.

Or maybe some lovin well intensioned hornet or wasp will build a nice new mud brick home right inside your saw, been there seen that.

Mc Bob.

Thanks for all the replys..
This saw is definitly way too loud to run without a muffler.. And i'm a noisy exhuast kind of guy, but this is insane. Besides, i really dont need the saw, so figured i would get it cleaned up and up to snuff, and sell or trade it for something i need..
So if its suposed to have a muffler, then i want to find one and put it on..

I was hoping to find a good used one from a AS member. Seems thats always the best deal. If not, then i'll try Randy's as some have suggested.. But since the saw is going to be going to a new owner, i was hoping to avoid putting in too much money...

Anyone got a used one out there????

Thanks
Ron

There are mufflers on saws for back pressure and noise controle. Both hinder performance. And yes saws need back pressure to run properly, Ir you tune it correctly after you let go of that muffler it will run fine. I learnd from old timers that have been screwing around with saws for many years.

Well 056 kid this afternoon the perfect example of why you keep mufflers on saws a Solo 680 i picked up for near to nothing presented itself so i took it had tons of compression and heaps of fat blue spark.
So on arrival home i started to tear the saw down and low and behold a hornets nest, i must have shaken or dug out at lest a dozen cocoons all nicely made of the finest quality mud you have ever seen and starting at the piston face and working out to the long gone muffler outlet which in this case would have been a spark arrestor.
They left behind enough damage to warrant a new piston and barrel.

Mc Bob.

Experiance is cheap, it's the cost of parts that hurts.

i have a good muffler you can have for free just pay shipping. email me if you want it. the ole mac 10-10 was a good ole work horse

update

Hey fella's,

I finally got around to messing with this pro mac 10-10 some more.. I'm still a bit confused at what it should have, so i'm hoping a few of you Mc pro's could help out.

I pulled the saw apart a bit last night, and removed the muffler. It is a flat muffler under the saw that exits out the bottom side of the saw with a little deflector. I was assuming there would have been a larger muffler on the side of the saw, since there is a threaded bung on the side of the cylinder. But it appears thats not the case, and i do have a complete muffler.. But this saw is soooooo loud, it will ring you ears in seconds. The muffler has nothing in it?? No screen, no baffle, nothing. So, its not really doing much to surpress any noise.

Is this correct?? Should the muffler do something to surpress the noise??

Thanks again,
Ron

Back