PRO MAC 610 in my collection?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say anything bad about my old Mac, she runs like a top.
attachment.php

there is a timberbear for sale at a local pawn shop. they want 120 for it. What is the going rate for one of these? and is it worth it if it's in good condition. Couldn't find much on evilbay to let me get a good idea what they go for.
How much eh.About 75 bucks in my opinion.Of course the guy trying to sell one might argue at that ,ha.

I've lost track of how many I've gotten both locally and from e-bay for others.Some are real cherries and some not so.Pay what you think it's worth but bear in mind that K-Mart sold them[610],brand new with a 16" bar for $169 in about '80 or '81.

Had one it was my first larger saw and worked well sold it to a friend and he is still is using it. Saw is a little heavy and ugly(to some),but compaired to the two other saws on your list it should out cut both of them granted it is larger saw but might be nice for larger wood.

028 super
cs3400x2
cs3000
mac 15

I'm about to retire my 610 (Eager Beaver 3.7). It's been a nearly indestructible saw. Confession Time: It was my first saw when I purchased it around 1987 and used it for a lot of misc cutting chores. I even, gulp, picked up the wrong fuel can and ran it with the wrong fuel and seized it tight around 1980. I was so sure I had oil in the fuel, I cranked it and siezed it again, really tight the 2nd time. On my way to the dumpster, I took out the plug, loaded it with Liquid Wrench, used a big socket on the flywheel and forced that baby over. I think it lost a little power, but I've used it many times for 17 more years !

Try that with a modern saw (no......)!

It's been a good saw, but it's really heavy, leaks bar oil really badly after a cutting, and sucks gas like no tomorrow. The rewind mechanism is weak, as there's not a good bearing for the rope spindle. It tends to chatter and get stuck, and occasionally throws a rope because I've had to loosen it to keep it turning. I've replaced it with a NOS, but same deal. A good bar and some Oregon DP chain really made it come to life.

Has pretty good torque and handles a 20" bar well. It also has a rim sprocket, which you don't see on most homeowner level saws. Also the whole body is magnesium and aluminum (plastic covers and handle), so it's built like a tank.

My thought is it's a great stump cutter & loaner saw to preserve my expensive saws. For an occasional homeowner firewood cutter, I can't hardly imagine a better value.

Last edited:
These saws were McCullochs last gasp of air. I never cared for the looks of them much, but there are a bunch of them out there still making chips. Parts are all over the place so keepin' one goin' is fairly easy. That saw in the pics is cherry! Since it was your dads i wouldn't let it go anywhere! Good luck with it...:clap:

Since it was your dads i wouldn't let it go anywhere! Good luck with it...:clap:
As I said before I also have my fathers 610,the last saw he ever bought.I'll keep it forever.I just have to figure out what the old man did to make that thing outcut an 042 Stihl,back in the day.

ill give it one more thing, in the cut, it is about the most solid feeling saw Ive used. There is no Anti-Vibe deflection when you lean on it.

It has a Rigid mount feel with Anti-Vibe properties...

This one ,in one picture is the nicest I've seen in years.I got it for my son,bad coil,about 80 bucks total including the price of the coil and shipping.

The second is my old veteran of about 30 years.That old dog still has some teeth left in that bite.Cuts as good now as back in the day it was a young pup.What's beside it is 6-10 that will leave it in the dust.

As I said before I also have my fathers 610,the last saw he ever bought.I'll keep it forever.I just have to figure out what the old man did to make that thing outcut an 042 Stihl,back in the day.

Al Your dad must have done something to make it outcut a 042. We used to race the old Mac 610 againt a o38. The 038 would win but not by much. Sold it to farmer for $20 who was just tickled with it as he had been running a 2.2 Crapsman. Heavy yes, Slow cutting no Steve

Al Your dad must have done something to make it outcut a 042.
Actually I think it was a situation that Dad knew more about engines than his buddy did .I have an 042 and I doubt his old Mac will out cut it.I'll test them some day and find out.

Ha,that was in the early 80's ,quite a time.My brother in law must have blown up a dozen saws trying to out do the old man and me.The dummy would tweak a 10-10,run it at 50 to 1 mix using 10 percent nitro.The little Macs would go like a race horse but wouldn't hang for the long haul.The pistons would fly apart like a dollar watch.The remains of those little Macs are now in my parts boxes hither and yon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back