Pro Mac 850 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure this saw deserves to be as clean as possible before she gets dirty all over again, especially since she had a life of cutting trees down in Washington a long time ago in the hands of a professional logger.

:cheers:

promac610, sorry I told you wrong this saw actually came from Idaho. :redface: Ron

Here's the fuel tank. How do I get this crud out?
attachment.php

Anyone have an idea for cleaning the fuel tank out?

Split? the tank and clean it out. BB's and kerosene. Nuts and kerosene. Little people and scratch pads. Looks like you may have to reseal it. Choose from the above.

Split? the tank and clean it out. BB's and kerosene. Nuts and kerosene. Little people and scratch pads. Looks like you may have to reseal it. Choose from the above.

lol, little people and scratch pads... :biggrinbounce2: That's mean. :D I guess I will split the tank and clean it out. The Ultra Grey should work for sealing the halves back together, right?

lol, little people and scratch pads... :biggrinbounce2: That's mean. :D I guess I will split the tank and clean it out. The Ultra Grey should work for sealing the halves back together, right?

Yeah, if you're lucky maybe the gasket will come off in one piece. I got lucky on a 306a once. Personally, thats a gasket situation. Maybe there are still some out there, or you can make one. If the old one stays on one side of the tank, shellac it and reassemble. Good luck.

Yeah, if you're lucky maybe the gasket will come off in one piece. I got lucky on a 306a once. Personally, thats a gasket situation. Maybe there are still some out there, or you can make one. If the old one stays on one side of the tank, shellac it and reassemble. Good luck.

Would a cork/rubber gasket work? I bought a roll of the material yesterday. Figure that with the Indian Head shellac should be good? Of course, this is only Plan B, which would be implemented if the old gasket ends up to be unusable.

Plan A is to reuse the old gasket. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I took the bucking spike off the clutch cover... You're thinking "Why?" it's because I am going to see if I can have some bigger ones made. :)

There is a CNC Plasma cutting machine at the tech center I go to for classes, so I will also see if one of the welding instructors will make a few of them out of the same or close to the same thickness material. Anyone interested in getting a spike or two? If payment for the material is required, I will mention so in a later post. What do you think?

As for the design of the new spike, I was thinking five spikes, and they would be about 3/4" longer, and will mantain the familiar look of the original four spike that the 600/700/800 series Macs can be seen with. Sound like a good idea?

I looked closely at the bottom of the tank while I was cleaning the outside of it yesterday, and saw two screws, they still had the original McCulloch yellow paint on them, which is one with the paint on the surrounding areas.

That's one more reason why I don't want to split the tank halves apart if I don't have to. I will look at the IPL again and explain if it shows the tank in halves or one piece.

For cleaning it, I'm thinking BB's (got a canister of 6500 or so copper coated Crosman BB's at Meijers a couple of months ago :D 9 bucks :)) and paint thinner will work. Will have to buy a gallon of paint thinner at Homer Depost tomorrow. The paint thinner in my parts washer is dirtier than a sl... never mind, can't say stuff like that around here.

So, does that sound good?

P.S. I will see about the bucking spike manufacturing tomorrow, and also will have the broken front handle welded, if possible. :cheers:

I would be interested to see how your bigger spikes turn out. Keep us posted and keep up the good work!

Anyone have an idea for cleaning the fuel tank out?

I've had some success cleaning tanks out with a handful of ball bearings, fill about half full with cleaner and some bearings. seems better with odd sizes big and small to get in all the crooks and cranny's

Alright, I just got back from Goodwill... found a nice pan, about 1/4" thick aluminum, and it is an old pan from back when people really knew how to make pans... :) It even had the original lid! Cool, can steam some parts too. :)

Is there anything I need to know before I start boiling parts in the pan? I don't want to damage the cylinder or piston in the process. Advice please.

Alright, I just got back from Goodwill... found a nice pan, about 1/4" thick aluminum, and it is an old pan from back when people really knew how to make pans... :) It even had the original lid! Cool, can steam some parts too. :)

Is there anything I need to know before I start boiling parts in the pan? I don't want to damage the cylinder or piston in the process. Advice please.

Anyone? :help:

Seriously? Nobody can help? Do I need to remove the piston from the connecting rod? Please help.

Last edited:
I think I'm just gonna boil the cylinder.

Going to keep doing the paint thinner and brush, maybe a little sandpaper for the carbon deposits on the piston.

Pics of cylinder and piston...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back