Pro Mac 850 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's working, but it's getting smelly around here. :dizzy: Think I will open a few windows, it pretty warm here too.

I've been boiling the cylinder for about 20 minutes now, and holy ####, you will not believe how much carbon and crap is in the bottom of the pan. :dizzy: To think people run their saws with that crap in there. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Here are some pics... as you will notice in the third pic, there are little pieces of carbon and various other crap sitting on the bottom of the pan. I don't want that in my saw. So, I'm cooking it off. The second pic shows the biggest thing to remember, for the sake of even cooking. Move the cylinder around a little bit. Lay it on its side and roll it over for even coverage for perfect taste. :)

First pic is showing the pan, with the cylinder in it.

attachment.php

Second pic is the cooking method for even distribution of heat for effectiveness.

attachment.php

Third pic is the crap in the bottom of the pan.

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's amazing, the water is almost completely black now! I thought the paint thinner in the parts washer was doing a good job cleaning the cylinder off. Nope, not by far. Boiling is superior. Turned the burner off, and am letting it cool down, then I will pull it out of the pan, and let it sit overnight. Tomorrow, I will boil the top of the piston, and hopefully that will work just as well. :cheers:

I once boiled a carb from a '63 Rambler, there was nothing left but sludge and brass fittings.

I'm waiting for you to give up and mail off the box of parts. :hmm3grin2orange:

I once boiled a carb from a '63 Rambler, there was nothing left but sludge and brass fittings.

I'm waiting for you to give up and mail off the box of parts. :hmm3grin2orange:

:D I don't think a carby from a 1963 Rambler is neccessarily well made to start with...

Still waiting for me to give up? Not gonna happen, I've wanted a big saw (80cc or so) for quite some time. :) Don't worry, someday I'll send a saw to you. :) Rebuilding this saw is fun, I'm just taking my time and making sure I do it right. :cheers:

I don't claim to have read every comment posted in every thread in the Chainsaw Forum on ArboristSite, but I can say this:

I have never before read or heard about anyone boiling chainsaw parts to clean them.

Promac610, where did you get the idea to boil parts? I'm not picking, just curious.

I don't claim to have read every comment posted in every thread in the Chainsaw Forum on ArboristSite, but I can say this:

I have never before read or heard about anyone boiling chainsaw parts to clean them.

Promac610, where did you get the idea to boil parts? I'm not picking, just curious.

IIRC, it was Stinkbait that did it with his c/p for one of his saws. Not positive, but I think he was the guy that I read of doing it, he even had pictures of the cylinder and piston when the boiling was done.

:D I don't think a carby from a 1963 Rambler is neccessarily well made to start with...

Still waiting for me to give up? Not gonna happen, I've wanted a big saw (80cc or so) for quite some time. :) Don't worry, someday I'll send a saw to you. :) Rebuilding this saw is fun, I'm just taking my time and making sure I do it right. :cheers:

Just testing your resolve.
Thanks for the offer, I have more chainsaws than I know what to do with.
I am thinning things out. You want a fixable 10-10?

Just testing your resolve.
Thanks for the offer, I have more chainsaws than I know what to do with.
I am thinning things out. You want a fixable 10-10?

A fixable 10-10, sure! :) I love this site. :) Someday, I'll buy you six pack of beer. :cheers:

Have we been working on the 850 today. Sure could use a few fresh pics.:hmm3grin2orange:

sorry just bored I have to wait until wednesday for fresh parts.

Homelite Jim reminded me... here a pic. :) This is after the pan had cooled down, this is the first boiling, and you can clearly see all of the junk that came out of the cylinder. I boiled the cylinder again, this time in clear water, and still more carbon and grease came off of it. Simply amazing. :)

172821d1298076870-crap-jpg

Back