Pro saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hunt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all! I've been reading here for a while. I read some older posts
and unless I misunderstood, the post made reference that unless the operator had extensive experience they would most likely be just as productive with a 359 rather than a 357xp, something to do with the powerband. I read this a while back and was just thinking about it. Is this really the case and if so why (or did I mis read the post) Thanks a lot. This site is the best!

Mike

I've been lurking for quite a while here. . .if I recall the post correctly, it seems that the 359 has a wider useable RPM range than the 357xp. . .therefore someone with less than optimal chain sharpening technique/saw tune would likely dog the 357 down -- losing the benefits of that powerhead.

Of course, I could be way out in left field. At the time I was considering the 359

Steve

like to help u son but u 2 young to vote..:) the 59 will be heavier i hink .. which aint bad if u cuttin fire sticks.. the 357 will satisfy u more afer u learn to use the power .. jmo..my 036 econd only to my 372.. similar saws 357-036..imho

Steve, I believe what you said is what I was refering to. Tony, what do you mean, learn to use the power?

Mike

Not owning a 357 or 359, but thinking my next new saw will be a new Jonny 2156(same as 357), I'll try to address the question.

I do own a Jonsered 2055, another hot-rod model and it outcuts my 2149 by a wide margin with only 5 more cc's. Because the powerband is narrow, you'll need to keep the rpm range within that window...try to force it, and you'll drop out of the power band and bog. You'll do that with any saw, of course, but it takes a bit more finesse to avoid it with the smaller hotrod saws. Chain filing certainly helps...especially paying close attention to rakers. Most hardwoods would demand an upper limit of about .025 clearance.

Most of us will learn to use that power effectively in a reasonably short time. Here's the real reason some would buy the Husky 359/Jonsered 2159:
They ask less for it, and it will likely be close enough in performance for the weekend warrior. Its only doofus'es like me that always want "mo' power" that pay extra for what they can probably get along without anyway.

theres u answer . :) ull know what we talkin after u try it.. assuming u have tried consumer saws.. good luck bud. really eithe saw fine but a good pro saw just fina.

Thanks for the info. The reason I was asking is because I have a Husky 351 and want something bigger for a second saw. Was thinking of maybe a 372 or 440. Do these two have about the same type of powerband (narrow). I get the impression they are close in performance.

Anyway I was sort of sold on the 372 but remembering the other post thought mabey I should go with the 365. I guess the XP saws would just take getting use to.

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Hunt
Thanks for the info. The reason I was asking is because I have a Husky 351 and want something bigger for a second saw. Was thinking of maybe a 372 or 440. Do these two have about the same type of powerband (narrow). I get the impression they are close in performance.

Anyway I was sort of sold on the 372 but remembering the other post thought mabey I should go with the 365. I guess the XP saws would just take getting use to.

Mike

Drop the 372 out of it’s power band, I don’t think so! Now start worrying about things that really are a problem, like death and taxes. If you are do ok with a 351 something a little over 3 hp, the 372 should really rock you with close to 5 ½ hp and only about 3 additional pounds.
Don’t worry, be happy!

If you are deciding between 365 and 372, spend the extra few dallars. They are the same weight but you get a lot more buzz for the buck with a 372. My 365 is a good saw but sometimes I wish..............

Frank

The 372 is as good a saw as I have ever run. I have wore out several and have never had a problem I think right now they are as dependable as the old 288s which in my opion was or is one of the most reliable saws I have ever ran. Kinda heavy after you run a 372 for a while. The best bang for your buck is the 372 no doubt........... I looked last night on Madsens website they are selling them for around 527 dollars just depends on wether or not you wont a flush or full wrap handle..........buy the 372...you will love it ...........Wade

Now thats a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!! How in the hell can he sell so cheap? I need to get know this Bill fellow...........Wade

Thanks for all the input. My mind is made up now........and how couldn't it be!

Mike

I bought a 346XP from Bill's. He always has the best prices. I'm tempted to get a new 372 pwr head at that amazing $489 price. I'm down to one (Walkerized), as my other 372 seized up...it looks fixable. But I have a PP Dolmar 7900 coming --finally sent Dan the check.

Latest posts

Back