Problem with Stihl 261c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adimice

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've had this saw for 2 months and have put many tanks thru it. When it runs, it's great. However it will not start after continued use. On cold days in between shut offs, it will start, warm days no luck. I called the dealership and asked if there have been any other complaints, they said no. I called Stihl tech support asked the same and got the same response.
I always start it in the start mode, there are are only 3 settings: Off, Run, Start.
If you let it rest in between, it will start, but that don't make it!!!
Any thoughts??? No I will not buy a Husky. Ha

Seen this once
It ran great but if you ran more than 1/2 tank to a full tank through it didn't want to start til it cooled down

Stihl replaced several parts and no fix
So they give him a new ones and sent the saw in for inspection
They said nothing was wrong
We even had videos of it not starting in 30 pulls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had this saw for 2 months and have put many tanks thru it. When it runs, it's great. However it will not start after continued use. On cold days in between shut offs, it will start, warm days no luck. I called the dealership and asked if there have been any other complaints, they said no. I called Stihl tech support asked the same and got the same response.
I always start it in the start mode, there are are only 3 settings: Off, Run, Start.
If you let it rest in between, it will start, but that don't make it!!!
Any thoughts??? No I will not buy a Husky. Ha
There are 4 settings.....
Try the "Starting Throttle" setting on warm days, you may be flooding it.
book 001.JPG

I've tried that, starting in the run mode, will not start it. Sorry guys after 10-15 pulls i give up and use my 361, it never fails. When you stop the saw, it goes back to run mode, pull all you want, it won't start.

i had one do this. it was the wires that hook to the mtonic. they make a wire kit to test the ohms. this one would
read in spec sometime and not other times

mtonic test leads.JPG

Check with Stihl dealer. I watched the tech hook up my 661 to computer. Provided all information on run time, number of starts etc. He then reset to factory specs. Short term, yes can still flood. Try starting in regular run mode with throttle wide open. I've put a little zip tie on it to keep throttle open but I got f ing ambushed at that suggestion.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back