Problematic MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Since the other thread on this topic is locked, I'm starting a new one here to share my findings.

@Edwad went way over the top and sent me a very nice MS661 and said to do with it whatever I wanted. You can't beat that! So that's exactly what I'm doing :) Thanks Edwad. I can't say thank you enough!

The first order of business was to determine if it was something wrong with my saw, or something in the mods I have done to it. So, here's what I did this evening.
1. Run it just like it came out of the box, bone stock.
2. Install my gutted and opened up muffler, recalibrate, retest.
3. Install my MaxFlow air filter, recalibrate, retest.
4. Advance ignition timing, recalibrate, retest.
5. Swap the ported P&C from my saw, recalibrate, retest.

Guess what. I made it all the way through step five and his saw runs PERFECTLY! It doesn't have a hint of hesitation! There is nothing in my mods causing this issue. Something somewhere is amiss with my saw. I put nearly a full tank of fuel through his saw and it didn't even try to hesitate or stutter one time. I lugged it hard, I let it rev, I let it idle, I did everything I could think of. I knew that I had never experienced it with any other saw I had modded. So, I wasn't loosing my mind. It's a great relief knowing it's not my mods either. I arrived at what I'm doing with these saws by trial and testing, and don't care to go backwards on any of them. Now I know I don't have to.

Next I have to determine the source of the problem. Since his is running perfectly, I'm thinking I'll put my parts on his saw, one at a time. There are only a handful of components to deal with here.
1. Coil
2. Flywheel
3. Carb
4. solenoid on side of carb
5. Choke switch on side of carb
6. Wiring harness

Is there any reason not to swap the carb/solenoid and coil as a set? I don't think the Stihl setup is anything like the Husky where they're programmed to match.

You CAN replace just one or the other. You just have to recalibrate after you replace one or the other. This is good news for you! First one I'd check is solenoid. Even some that are "okay" from the MDG1 test are really defective... (Hey ask me how I know :angry:)
Did you get your new carb and it fixed your 441?

I think I'll start just by swapping the whole carb. If it goes bad with my carb, I'll then put his solenoid on my carb. If that doesn't do it, I think I'll swap the coil next. After that, there's only the flywheel and wiring harness.

Change the name of the thread to "No Problematic MS 661".

I ran into something similar this past week with an old 024 AV. Operator said it was broken. I ran it and could not find a flaw. Then I gave it back to him. Chain brake was on (pushed forward) when he supplied it. Hmmm...

PS... A lot of the new carbs are not being cleaned well at manufacturing and are leaving debris in the solenoids.
:numberone: The debris problem is bad enough Stihl sent Nelson tree service something like 150 new carbs that had been hand disassembled, cleaned, reassembled a few months ago. I had the luxury of changing out quite a few.

Wow! That's pretty pathetic on the manufacturing end. At least they're standing behind them.
not without being drug kicking and screaming. from my source, nelson had to threaten canceling their contract to get stihl to do anything. Asplund has already switched to husky because of the issues and nelson is almost there too. Stihl suggested that they run the 271 and 391 since they were having so many problems with the mtronic saws(261/362).

PS... A lot of the new carbs are not being cleaned well at manufacturing and are leaving debris in the solenoids.
I've been told this also...we've done a few policy adjustment 261 carb swaps for a larger tree service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back