Problems Starting a Husqvarna 281 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm no Mr Universe, but I'm no wimp either. I have just acquired an 80 cc chainsaw that seems to have too much compression. I cannot pull the starter cord fully out in one go. I first though that it might be seizing up, but it pulls no problem without the spark plug in. I didn't expect it to be as easy to start as my 254, but this is impossible! It's an older model without a decom valve. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? If I can't fix it, I'll have to hope Popeye is in the market for a saw.

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Welcome to the forum.

I'll trade ya then, I got a Mac 250 that starts easily. seriously, a 281, shouldnt be hard to start, but you should be able to make it turn over.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
when i put rings on my 181 back in 2001 it was like this.. best way to keep it easy to start is keep the carb perfectly tuned so it starts quick. and just keep your fuel mix a bit richer than 50:1, i allways used 40:1 stihl mix. once its rebuilt i will be using 32:1, like all my saws are using now. and allways use premium gas in a saw with that much compression, low grade regular will give you fits. saw would turn into the "ping-o-matic" and keep those air filters clean and changed out often! i killed my 181 by never changing the filter.

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's what I can't understand. It came to me with a short pull cord, so I replaced it with a new one. Din't see any problems with it, and as I said before it pulls over no problem without the plug in. I can't understand it?

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
I feel the need for one. I think the 288 (of the same age) comes with one as standard, I just can't understand how it can be so ???? hard to pull? I was almost seeing tweety birds last time I tried it.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
i used to have a 281.......we used to joke all the time if you can't start it then you shouldn't be running it. the saw was no joke to start.

the easiest way i found to start it ......if there is wood already cut an the ground (as long as the bar is at least 24in) just lay the bar on a a piece of wood and pull. this way your not trying to support the weight of the saw and pull at the same time. mine did not have a comprssion release. they were strong running saws.

good luck

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Dan Forsh said:
I feel the need for one. I think the 288 (of the same age) comes with one as standard, I just can't understand how it can be so ???? hard to pull? I was almost seeing tweety birds last time I tried it.
The 288 came with decomp valve from about 1991, I think. The 281 never had it, according to availiable IPL's.

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Hi Dan, could there be a thick carbon deposit on the piston thereby causing a higher compression ratio?
Also, it could be the starting tactic that you use. Assuming you are drop starting a quick "snap", of the pullcord and a slight drop of the saw coupled with the apropriate body english should get the saw running with nil to no effort.
Hope this helps,
John
J39.jpg

Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
I just got my 288EHP from ED this moring, I just put a little gas in her and the compression is unreal. Since I am sitting in my office doing just about nothing it gives me another reason to leave early and play in the sun today. It's good to be king but toys are better. Thanks ED.

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi Gypo,

I'll try your method, but I really think I could hang my entire (200 lbs) body weight off this d a m n thing and still only get it to glug, glug, glug....

Kenskip1

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Dan
This may be a long shot however here we go.If the rope is to narrow in width it may be binding on the rewind spool when you try to start it with the plug in.If the rope is not long enough in length, you may be loosing leverage as the rope gets closer to the center of the pully.Sort of like trying to start a car in 3rd gear. Could the rewind pully have a crack on it? This will make the pully seperate and allow the rope to bind side by side instead of being ontop as normal. Just my .02 cents worth, Ken

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cheers Ken,

When I first got the saw the rope was only coming out at about 18" long, so I changed it for a new one. The one I've replaced it with is approx 30". By comparision with what was already on the saw, I used a 4.5 mm diameter cord. Maybe you're right, for what it's worth I have other cords, so I will try a thicker/longer one tomorrow.

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I think about it you might be right about it binding. It only recoils once the full length is out. Otherwise it sticks.

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dan Forsh said:
One way or another one of us is going to give it up tomorrow. If you don't hear from me... the saw won!
LOL

I'll bet your problem is a cracked pulley, check to see if its cracked, if so, just get a new pulley, and keep a long enough rope on it.

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
kf_tree said:
i used to have a 281.......we used to joke all the time if you

Try a 298 it will give you a good kick. Laugh if you will but a D handle will help. It will not reduce compression but it will help with splitting your fingers when it kicks back.

Bill

formersawrep

formersawrep

ArboristSite Operative
Bill-
The 298 was a difficult to start monster. This was due to a lighter weight flywheel (less inertia). It did make it a quick revving monster of a woods saw at the time. The lighter weight of the 285 tank/handle made it handle a lot better as well. That saw with a 24" bar was the ideal saw for big hardwoods. ......if you could start it!

Latest posts