Procedures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I just ordered my granberg mill. I have a few things i'd like to get into when it finally arrives. I have a 5 foot oak log about 40" in diameter. Some 5-6 foot cherry logs 30" in diameter. and a whole hickory that is about 20" in diameter. What is my best way to get started. I'll try out some smaller stuff first, just so I don't mess up the big pieces of lumber. But how to I get started. Does anyone have some procedures that they go through when they are about to get started. If i'm gonna quarter saw the oak, do I Half the whole log, then half each of those pieces. Then, where do I go from there. What's the best way to hold the qtrs down while milling. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated for an absolute soon to be first timer. Thanks
Brian

00juice said:
What is my best way to get started. I'll try out some smaller stuff first, just so I don't mess up the big pieces of lumber. But how to I get started. Does anyone have some procedures that they go through when they are about to get started. Brian
Well Brian I'd say from reading your post, that you wanna get started!! :laugh:

First off, your going to need a guide attached to your log for that mill to run down. Lots of different ways, you can use a ladder, even a 2x6 works in a pinch. Here is one casey put together...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=36470

As for quartersawing... usually only works well if you have a good 24 inches or more to start with, because by the time you quarter the thing, and cut off sapwood and bark, the piece you have left has to still be wide enough for serious lumber. I hold my quarters on custom built horses that have holes drilled into the tops for chocks. There are other ways to block up a quarter on horses or on the ground, but depends on how big, where its being milled etc. Use your imagination given the situation you find yourself in. For TRUE quartersawing, you will have to flip that quarter each cut, taking a slice off each face every other time. You can get close to mostly quartersawing by just slicing up that quarter through and through though.

Good idea working on the smaller less valuable stuff first. Would be a shame to butcher up that huge cherry log you mentioned right off the bat.

Start milling, slab off the sides of the log if you want clean edged boards, or just slab it through and through first time, and see how it goes. Then if you run into any specific problems or questions, just ask.

I'm curious what do you teach? ...what age?

00 for someone just getting started you ask some really good questions. Shows you got your head into it now all you need to do is find out how good it is for you back. There was a guy here who was also new and he used a "beam machine", to quarter sew his oak, I know more money but just to add to idea's.

Woodshop has the right idea to send you to Casey's set up. If you read the post you'll see I got myself that set up. I used a lot of different method's but in retrospect I wish I went with that idea first. It's a little heavy but it the most stable and the most versatile.

Mods where's the milling smiley. Happy milling, 00. Milling smiley!

Quartersawn

Here is a link to a post I made on quartersawn. I started with a beam machine and switched over to an alaskan for more accuracy. Anything will work, it just takes a little practice. As said earlier try small stuff to start. I was in your same position a few months ago. Never milled, had a nice log, how do I NOT turn it in to firewood! Have fun!!!
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=34364

Last edited:
Thanks

Woodshop,
Thanks for the input. I'll take it all in to consideration. I teach grades 7,9,10,11,12 Industrial Arts/Technology Education. Mostly CAD,Architectural Design, Engineering design (I am not an Engineer), and 9th grade intro to woodshop. I love woodworking, but haven't done alot in recent times due to lack of money for materials. I'm hoping to be able to do more once I start building a nice collection of lumber.
Thanks
Brian

I have various info that I can send you electronically, so why don't you "private mail" your e-mail address?

Back