Processor build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaikwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Along with buying and installing an OWB this year, I also want to build a firewood processor so I can feed the thing without having to spend my life as a wood cutter.

I know there have been a number of conversations about splitters and such, but haven't seen a whole lot about processors. Anyone here have one, or better yet, built their own?

Mine is going to be a bit different from most, (I think). In addition to the conventional processor that will take a 10 or 20 foot long log and turn it into split firewood, I want to be able to use the splitting end as you would a conventional splitter; feeding chunks onto a log lift and then into the splitter. Myreason for this is that I have a couple tree services that bring me their wood and it's already chunked up. Some of it is pretty good sized in the 36 to 48 inch diameter range. Too big to put down the in-feed trough of a processor, but not too big for a good sized splitter.

Right now I am in the planning stage. I already have a nice little cylinder; 6" diameter with a 4 1/2" rod. It's a tad long at the moment at 92" of stroke, but I have it all apart and will reduce the length to a 32" stroke very soon. I'm trying to decide what to use as the main beam for the splitter, 'I' beam, (or more accurately 'H' beam), rectangular tube, or make a beam myself. Member 'SWI Don' posted an informative reply a few years ago, (http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/114821.htm#) that gave a link to a beam chart that outlined a method of choosing a beam. But it makes no mention of any other material like tubes or flats.

One of my ideas is to use a piece of 1' thick by 8" high flat bar, (however long I need it), laid on edge with another 3/4" thick and 4 or 5 inch wide flat bar laid on top and bottom and stitch welded in place to make a beam. This is basically what 'Multitek' does for their processors, tho I don't know for sure wht thicknesses or widths they use.

OR, I could use the method CRD Metalworks uses. They take 2 of the flat bars mentioned above and lay them on edge, next to each other to for a slot into which their wedge and cylinder mount fits. Their bottom of their push plate also has a 'tab' that rides in the slot.

Another manufacturer, (can't remember who), uses rectangular tube with flat bar welded top and bottom to make their beam.

Some home made processors I've looked at just use a wide flange 'H' beam, which is probably just fine for a conventional splitting chamber on a processor with a 4 or 4 1/2" cylinder splitting 20 to 24" logs. But with the large chunks I get and the 6" cylinder, I think a regular 'H' beam would end up twisting or bending.

Anyone care to offer some suggestions?

Wow! Good luck to you. Sounds like quite the project. How does one reduce the stroke of a hydraulic cylinder?

Wow! Good luck to you. Sounds like quite the project. How does one reduce the stroke of a hydraulic cylinder?

Just cut it down with a bandsaw and weld it all back together again! Usually from the back, or mounted end so I don't have to mess with the threaded end that keeps the rod in the cylinder. I'll be adding an additional fitting on that end as well so I can install a dump valve to make it retract even faster than it normally would with the large rod to improve cycle times.

This will be interesting! I've already learned a lot, and we haven't even gotten to sizing motors, pumps, and hp.
Oh that's the easy part... there's a app for that! :laugh: Actually, there probably IS, but I'm not that computer literate. I still use the old fashioned printed charts.

Dont take this wrong but if you are not planning on selling firewood, and you have the skills to build a processor like you are planning, I think you would serve yourself much better in building a very large boiler to accomodate the wood and forget about processing it all together. Think about it you build all this equipment to wittle the wood down and then feed it into a boughten boiler by hand. Or take the same energy and $$$ and build a large boiler and feed whole logs and tree service chunks into it and never touch the wood and get 1-2 week burn times instead of 12 hour burn times. We have built a few of these boilers and couldnt be happier. By the way I have built a processor and have owned 3 of the major manufacturers machines as well but we sell firewood.
woodstuff007.jpg

Woodman, How many cords does that hold per loading?:msp_confused:

Mr. HE:cool:

Dont take this wrong but if you are not planning on selling firewood, and you have the skills to build a processor like you are planning, I think you would serve yourself much better in building a very large boiler to accomodate the wood and forget about processing it all together. Think about it you build all this equipment to wittle the wood down and then feed it into a boughten boiler by hand. Or take the same energy and $$$ and build a large boiler and feed whole logs and tree service chunks into it and never touch the wood and get 1-2 week burn times instead of 12 hour burn times. We have built a few of these boilers and couldnt be happier. By the way I have built a processor and have owned 3 of the major manufacturers machines as well but we sell firewood.
woodstuff007.jpg

First of all, I dunno what that is behind the Bobcat, but I want it!

Secondly, I've thought about building something like that big boiler of yours and even looked at a manufactured one that was similar except it loaded from the top. To be honest, I'm not sure I need something that big and most importantly, I just WANT a processor! :laugh: Actually, building one will be most of the fun, (I hope). I've built 2 of them in the past for customers and I think I can build a really cool one now! But yes, I may sell some wood as well as cut it for myself. I want to have that option at least. And my best friend down the street is going to put some money into this thing so we can do his wood as well, and he HAS to have it split to a certain degree just because of the set-up he has.

Let me ask something about that big boiler tho; if the building it's heating, for whatever reason, doesn't call for heat for an extended period, (like a full day), does it maintain a fire? I'm thinking if we sell the house we are going to heat and end up just heating the office, will a big boiler still chew thru a ton of wood just maintaining itself? The office will be VERY well insulated as is our current office, and right now our oil burner for the current office never comes on during the day when we are here just due to the amount of heat put out by the computer servers.

Hi chaikwa,

The idea of a processor build is interesting, hope it works out and I can follow the build here! You mention cutting down a cylinder, I have a 5 inch that is 40" long, what do think it would cost to have somebody cut it down to 24?

cylinders are easy to cut down, all you need is an angle grinder and a welder, an hours work allowed is near the mark.....

First of all, I dunno what that is behind the Bobcat, but I want it!

Secondly, I've thought about building something like that big boiler of yours and even looked at a manufactured one that was similar except it loaded from the top. To be honest, I'm not sure I need something that big and most importantly, I just WANT a processor! :laugh: Actually, building one will be most of the fun, (I hope). I've built 2 of them in the past for customers and I think I can build a really cool one now! But yes, I may sell some wood as well as cut it for myself. I want to have that option at least. And my best friend down the street is going to put some money into this thing so we can do his wood as well, and he HAS to have it split to a certain degree just because of the set-up he has.

Let me ask something about that big boiler tho; if the building it's heating, for whatever reason, doesn't call for heat for an extended period, (like a full day), does it maintain a fire? I'm thinking if we sell the house we are going to heat and end up just heating the office, will a big boiler still chew thru a ton of wood just maintaining itself? The office will be VERY well insulated as is our current office, and right now our oil burner for the current office never comes on during the day when we are here just due to the amount of heat put out by the computer servers.

Yes it will maintain a fire over very long durations just as the boughten small boilers do. I have aquastat and damper and fan, basically the same control scheme as a central. You will not go thru anymore wood than a small boiler if your heating the same amount. Heck even if you did go through a little more the fact that you can throw just about anything in it and the go weeks without messing with it, in my mind far outweigh a few percentage points of efficiency.
On your processor beam the best thing you could use is a 1x8" flat on top of a 2x6or8" tube with 1/4" wall or 3/8" wall if you are worried you could use two of the tubes beside each other that would be pretty bullet proof.

On your processor beam the best thing you could use is a 1x8" flat on top of a 2x6or8" tube with 1/4" wall or 3/8" wall if you are worried you could use two of the tubes beside each other that would be pretty bullet proof.
How about the bottom of the tube? Do you think I should put a 1X8" flat there as well? With a large cylinder pushing 100,000+ pounds, I can see stuff getting wrecked!

How about the bottom of the tube? Do you think I should put a 1X8" flat there as well? With a large cylinder pushing 100,000+ pounds, I can see stuff getting wrecked!

No I personally wouldnt do that I would however use 2 of the 2x8" 3/8" wall side by side. Remember that this beam will have to be tied to the rest of the processor at a few points along the bottom of the rectangle tubing, and as it is it will eliminate twist and such just make sure it is tied into at least 3 spots very well.

No I personally wouldnt do that I would however use 2 of the 2x8" 3/8" wall side by side. Remember that this beam will have to be tied to the rest of the processor at a few points along the bottom of the rectangle tubing, and as it is it will eliminate twist and such just make sure it is tied into at least 3 spots very well.
Thanks!

I have got a "I" beam that is 8" wide with 1" top and bottom flanges and 5/8" center web it is 6" tall it weighs 87 lbs. per foot. What is your opinion on using that for my processor with a 5" cylinder with a 3" ram.

I have got a "I" beam that is 8" wide with 1" top and bottom flanges and 5/8" center web it is 6" tall it weighs 87 lbs. per foot. What is your opinion on using that for my processor with a 5" cylinder with a 3" ram.

A little overkill, but it'll work just fine.

I hear ya, I picked up a W8x40 from work when they took out a hoist, cost me $40 for a 10 footer. Really didn't need it, but figured I'd buy it for a future splitter build rather than let go to the scrapyard.

I hear ya, I picked up a W8x40 from work when they took out a hoist, cost me $40 for a 10 footer. Really didn't need it, but figured I'd buy it for a future splitter build rather than let go to the scrapyard.

I have access to a 67 hp Perkins with a 49 gpm pump that will build 3500 psi and could be turned up to 5500 if I wanted to. Would this work for my processor? Can I get valves to handle the Gpm or get flow dividers. I know alot about welding and how things work it the technical part that gets me. I am gonna call a local hydraulic shop tomorrow and ask some questions. Just figured there were guys on here that would give advise too.

Back