Processor build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need that much pressure, I'd turn it down to at or below 3000 PSI, most standard hydraulic stuff is only rated for that, some older stuff can even be lower yet, and there are a lot of cheaper 2500PSI cylinders out there. At 2500 PSI with a 6" ram, you still have 35 tons of force, 42 tons at 3000. That's great plenty. 3/4" hoses and valves should flow enough to keep most people happy with the speed, but you could go bigger if you wanted. Bigger stuff is less commonly available and more expensive (exponentially) though.

What motor is that Perkins? I've got an A4-236 in my Massey Ferguson tractor, rock solid reliable and sips fuel.

I have access to a 67 hp Perkins with a 49 gpm pump that will build 3500 psi and could be turned up to 5500 if I wanted to. Would this work for my processor? Can I get valves to handle the Gpm or get flow dividers. I know alot about welding and how things work it the technical part that gets me. I am gonna call a local hydraulic shop tomorrow and ask some questions. Just figured there were guys on here that would give advise too.

You would be better off with a 3 pump piggy back type set up so you could have plenty of live hydraulics to do multiple tasks at once, such as cutting the next block while the splitter ram is returning, also things like running conveyor, log infeed.
The beam you have will be fine as well.
The 49 gpm pump would give you quick cycle times on your splitter ram.

On your processor beam the best thing you could use is a 1x8" flat on top of a 2x6or8" tube with 1/4" wall or 3/8" wall if you are worried you could use two of the tubes beside each other that would be pretty bullet proof.
Picked up a bunch of steel Friday that, in my opinion, was a major 'score'. I got 4, 6" truck frame rails that are 30' long each with a 3/8" thickness. I'll use these for the main framework of the processor. I also got a 2" X 8" X 3/8" wall rectangular tube that's 18' long that I'll use as you suggested: doubled up with a flat on top for the main beam of the splitter. I'll separate the 2 tubes with 1" or 1 1/4" solid flats so that I have a space between them to let the wedge raise and lower. It will also allow a better connection of the cylinder mount instead of just welding it on top of a beam. The rectangular tube idea was great, thank you! Oh, and I also got a brand new 30 gallon fuel tank. Everything is brand new and only cost me $300. I'd say I did pretty good!

Processor

Sounds like you did very well. I ended up getting a 100 hp Cummins Power unit for my processor. I am pretty proud of it was just gonna have 67 hp Perkins.

yea its a 4.236 I have got one in my Massey Ferguson and love it too.

My Vermeer 1250 chipper has a 4.236 in it, it's rated at 80 horse power.
These engines are used in a lot of equipment and use different injectors, and pump components to get different hp ratings.
I'm re-powering a Fecon FTX-90 (87 hp Deutz) with a Cat 3054T (Perkapillar) that's set up at 105 hp right now, but could be turned up to 125 and still be within specs.

Andy

Picked up a bunch of steel Friday that, in my opinion, was a major 'score'. I got 4, 6" truck frame rails that are 30' long each with a 3/8" thickness. I'll use these for the main framework of the processor. I also got a 2" X 8" X 3/8" wall rectangular tube that's 18' long that I'll use as you suggested: doubled up with a flat on top for the main beam of the splitter. I'll separate the 2 tubes with 1" or 1 1/4" solid flats so that I have a space between them to let the wedge raise and lower. It will also allow a better connection of the cylinder mount instead of just welding it on top of a beam. The rectangular tube idea was great, thank you! Oh, and I also got a brand new 30 gallon fuel tank. Everything is brand new and only cost me $300. I'd say I did pretty good!

Keep us posted with pics plz. Thanks.:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Back