Professional Cabling in Large Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Seems like the addition of a second cable on your eyebolt would negate all this technical alignment effort you are putting forth?

attachment.php

Seems like the addition of a second cable on your eyebolt would negate all this technical alignment effort you are putting forth?

Not in the least Treevet, once you consider the primary support leader is three times the diameter of the much smaller leaders it's supporting.

The eyebolt hole of the primary leader is in perfect alignment to the midpoint between the two smaller leaders, and the lateral angle is true to the almost horizontal cable lay.

Drilling two holes in the primary leader to accomodate such small leaders is unnecessary and unprofessional in my opinion. However if the leaders being supported were of equal or greater size than the support leader, your point would be valid Treevet. Note how close the eyebolt ring is to the primary support leader to ensure lateral leveraging is easily absorbed and negated.

I'll be doing alot of this single trunk anchor support of 2-3 separate lower laterals on one of the upcoming torrey pines in the next few weeks.

jomoco

Not in the least Treevet, once you consider the primary support leader is three times the diameter of the much smaller leaders it's supporting.

The eyebolt hole of the primary leader is in perfect alignment to the midpoint between the two smaller leaders, and the lateral angle is true to the almost horizontal cable lay.

Drilling two holes in the primary leader to accomodate such small leaders is unnecessary and unprofessional in my opinion. However if the leaders being supported were of equal or greater size than the support leader, your point would be valid Treevet. Note how close the eyebolt ring is to the primary support leader to ensure lateral leveraging is easily absorbed and negated.

I'll be doing alot of this single trunk anchor support of 2-3 separate lower laterals on one of the upcoming torrey pines in the next few weeks.

jomoco

I thought the reason from the pict was because of a small leader but just checking Jon. I agree completely. Do it myself sometimes.

I thought the reason from the pict was because of a small leader but just checking Jon. I agree completely. Do it myself sometimes.

I used the alignment tubes on all thee holes to ensure the alignment was exact, even on the primary support, I just used two ropes from the separate leaders running and attaching to the back of the alignment tube tied to the primary leader. This technique ensures the angles of all three holes are true and exact to my purpose. Obviously the angle on the primary could be fudged with no serious detrimental consequences due to it's size and bulk, however this would not be true for the two smaller leaders being supported, to the exact degree out of alignment that hole is to the primary eyebolt ring, is the exact degree of rotational twisting that cabled leader will be subjected to every time the wind hits it from the direction of the primary support leader.

jomoco

Last edited:
This morning upon inspecting the lay of my first installed cable I noticed it was slightly out of true alignment by a degree or two. After pondering this in the tree a few minutes I realised the culprit was the pilot drill bit itself. It was not designed to initiate true cuts at acute angles from 90 degrees.

Rather than continue, I took the rest of the day off to solve this exact alignment problem.

This modified flat 5/8ths wood drill bit can initiate an exactly true bore from even the most acute angles now.

Problem solved!

jomoco

OK Remind me again why all this accuracy? 1 or 2 degrees off? Many co-dom leaders I have cabled will sway back and forth 10 or 15 degrees from one another on a windy day. Not sure I'm buyin into the rocket science angle (pun intended) here.

The title of my thread is"professional" cabling in large trees guys, not expedient crooked amateur cabling in unlucky trees.

jomoco

The title of my thread is"professional" cabling in large trees guys, not expedient crooked amateur cabling in unlucky trees.

jomoco

I have been around a loooong time. Didn't want to get in this thread because this is where these things usually end up. Been in too many cabling threads.

A patent attorney? Ha... Might want to seek out a therapist....

OCD Obsessive compulsive disorder.

Posters must really like you (I think I do too) to leave this stuff alone.

The story "The Emperor's Clothes" comes distinctly to mind.

Sorry to disturb "your thread". I'll leave quietly if not provoked, I promise.

Going to bed....see you tomorrow.

This morning upon inspecting the lay of my first installed cable I noticed it was slightly out of true alignment by a degree or two. After pondering this in the tree a few minutes I realised the culprit was the pilot drill bit itself. It was not designed to initiate true cuts at acute angles from 90 degrees.

Rather than continue, I took the rest of the day off to solve this exact alignment problem.

This modified flat 5/8ths wood drill bit can initiate an exactly true bore from even the most acute angles now.

Problem solved!

jomoco

I'm wondering if this process is being over thought. I do however appreciate your interest in doing it correctly.

Hey you can take 3 weeks per tree-it's your time, and there's nothing wrong with doing it right.

Hey you can take 3 weeks per tree-it's your time, and there's nothing wrong with doing it right.

Either client may disagree with that premise or your accountant if not paid for the billable hours.....

3 days x 2 men @ $1600.00 per day

$4800.00 to install 4 cables

$1200.00 per cable

That sound about the way it went down?

Doing it right shouldn't take that long if done by industry standards. If you think you are setting industry standards, well...then that is debatable on this forum, isn't it?

Oooh... Aaah... Ohhh... My!

Money like that... I'm moving to California. I could almost pay for my private airplane for the weekly commute back home.

Maybe getting that kind of money on the job, you feel you have to hang around longer than 2-3 hours which I think is more than enough time to put in four cables.:) More power to you though, I need some of that gravy. Then again don't two bedroom homes go for about $500,000 and up in SD?

Latest posts

Back