Professional Cabling in Large Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I look at those pics again it looks like that was an old crack that codit took care of as best it could a long time ago (see that deformed bulge).
Now a storm or gust brought out the weakness that was already there maybe?? The two cracks in succession bother me the most, that thing almost broke I'll bet. Just some thoughts.

I got enough video of me rodding that crack today to bore both of you guys to tears.

It'll be 1/2 an hour or so until it finishes uploading on youtube though.

jomoco

You know what, ...if you save that branch it keeps from throwing a huge whole in the canopy. More power to ya. :clap: Good work. (sticky tho I bet)

i gave you the first rating of the last vid. i must say its very boring for me to watch but saving that awesome tree is top shelf:clap: why don't ya show us the vid of you jumping off the roof ta get inta that pig:poke: :)

i agree. good effort jomoco.

hey. whats the deal with the cam? is their a better angle/lens?

Problems, if they're common enough, are money making opportunities, and while our industry is a tiny fraction of the general populace, it's the answers direct application to other huge industries and sports suffering the same woes that can be very lucrative.

So give me a month or two to research this thought/invention.

Rather ironic that it's also an alignment solution.

jomoco

Last edited:
Had a frustrating day dealing with unexpected logistics and supply problems but did finally get some real work done upstairs.

DSCI0002.jpg

DSCI0001.jpg

Note the bumps and bulges in this new 3/8ths ehs 7 strand cable, with some fairly serious tension on it.

jomoco

I am curious as to the manufacturer of your dead ends on you EHS cable to solicit them for capacities. Have you researched this? Do you consider this the weakest link? Anchor...cable...termination. Is it in Blair's equipment book? It is not in Sherrill. Nothing in ANSI chart.

I am curious as to the manufacturer of your dead ends on you EHS cable to solicit them for capacities. Have you researched this? Do you consider this the weakest link? Anchor...cable...termination. Is it in Blair's equipment book? It is not in Sherrill. Nothing in ANSI chart.

I get them from Bishops in LA.

I'll check the actual manufacturer for you tomorrow Dave.

jomoco

I get them from Bishops in LA.

I'll check the actual manufacturer for you tomorrow Dave.

jomoco

Thanks. I likely am heading that way because of the restrictions in ANSI for dia of limb with common grade (spliceable) and the inclusion of dead ends in the standard.

[parts deleted]

Note the bumps and bulges in this new 3/8ths ehs 7 strand cable, with some fairly serious tension on it.

jomoco

Unequal loading on the strands is the most probable cause of your bumps & bulges. Something on that strand is pulling harder on just a few of the wires. The heavily loaded wires then are forced to squeeze the more lightly loaded wires to the side as they are drawn out of their spiral wrap into a slightly straighter path. The entire strand is deformed by unequal pressures on the individual wires.

Look real close, you will see it.

This is also possible as a manufacturing defect cause by the same problem.

How did you terminate your strand? eye & cable clamps, or with a grip? Eye & cable clamps are well known to cause uneven loading on the strand. Pre-tension before completely tightening the cable clamps might help.

How did you terminate your strand? eye & cable clamps,

ANSI....33.4.8 Wire rope clamps SHALL (not should) not be used to form terminations in cables larger than 1/8 inch (3 mm).

Never used them anyway (Neither does Jomoco I doubt) but interesting to read this.

Unequal loading on the strands is the most probable cause of your bumps & bulges. Something on that strand is pulling harder on just a few of the wires. The heavily loaded wires then are forced to squeeze the more lightly loaded wires to the side as they are drawn out of their spiral wrap into a slightly straighter path. The entire strand is deformed by unequal pressures on the individual wires.

Look real close, you will see it.

This is also possible as a manufacturing defect cause by the same problem.

How did you terminate your strand? eye & cable clamps, or with a grip? Eye & cable clamps are well known to cause uneven loading on the strand. Pre-tension before completely tightening the cable clamps might help.

Galvinized cable grips, the orange ones for 3/8ths 7 strand. Very fast, very easy, and extremely durable. Ansi approved.

jomoco

Did you use EHS strand, or just regular strand?
Are the galvanized grips EHS or just regular strand?
Is it possible to have a conflict between EHS strand and a non-EHS cable grip?

I don't do enough cabling to know the answers, so please don't presume that I am questioning your installation. I do know that the strands are either deformed from the manufacturer, or from unequal loading on the individual wires. That unequal loading is guaranteed to compromise the breaking strength of your installation.

Regarding cable clamps and ANSI standards: I suspect that standard only applies to "strand" wire rope, because "grips" don't exist for conventional wire rope "cables". Those MUST be cable clamped with either conventional clamps or with "swages". Swaging takes big hydralic equipment to do right, and I don't think too many guys want to put that stuff up in a tree.

Latest posts

Back