Professional recommendations dropping Huge dead oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I stirred the waking of the Wolf. You shall pay dearly for that thumbs up when I start peppering you with questions about the two 201’s I’m rebuilding.
Well I can prob answer any reasonable questions on the 201 but the 200T's are my real expertise.

Well I can prob answer any reasonable questions on the 201 but the 200T's are my real expertise.
If you would be willing to part with one of your 200’s I would graciously accept it. If I had a 200T I probably wouldn’t be needing to rebuild it.

If you would be willing to part with one of your 200’s I would graciously accept it. If I had a 200T I probably wouldn’t be needing to rebuild it.
I don't have any avail at this time ,more will come though. I know they are expensive there compared to here. Whats the 201 problem ?

I don't have any avail at this time ,more will come though. I know they are expensive there compared to here. Whats the 201 problem ?
The 201T that I have running at the moment seem to have an air leak. I’ve mentioned before that I have to have the low screw opened right out. I’m in the process of acquiring/building a pressure/vacuum test rig. I’m a bit shy about admitting the problems I’m having with the 201TC but if you track my previous posts it’s there.

The 201T that I have running at the moment seem to have an air leak. I’ve mentioned before that I have to have the low screw opened right out. I’m in the process of acquiring/building a pressure/vacuum test rig. I’m a bit shy about admitting the problems I’m having with the 201TC but if you track my previous posts it’s there.
Yes a Vac test would sort out some problems. Mitivac 8500 is what I have.

Those series of saw are notorious for intake boots tearing from either av mounts breaking or users simply pulling on them way too damn hard when pinched

I’ve had, what I assume you are referring to as the intake boot (the rubber bit between the carby and cylinder) off and I couldn’t find any damage. Probably have to wait till I have the test rig and some soapy water to be sure.

Do you want to join my gang? It’s called How to get barred from ArboristSite. We don’t usually accept Americans but I’m sure concessions could be made. You need to have previous experience in hole digging with formal qualifications being highly regarded. We do offer an on the job learning program.
God no! I'd never join a group who would have someone like me as a member to paraphrase Groucho Marx
Here's a picture showing a tree that I cut a limb off of while on a ladder. The actual limb isn't there but it was the same size as the one sitting on the ground closest to the camera with its butt end pointing to the left and another log on top of it. A tree service cut the tree down because the property owner was concerned I'd drop it on her house. Prudent on her part but I saved her money by bucking it up and splitting it for firewood.
48B38EBB-4CF5-4A5C-9908-794269CCE183.jpeg

Any buds that have one?
Sorry, I seem to have become involved in too many conversations at once. I have another carby on route from a 201T. Not sure how long it will be as we had floods that knocked out the rail link to the eastern states. I believe it's repaired now but there will be a backlog to clear.

God no! I'd never join a group who would have someone like me as a member to paraphrase Groucho Marx
Here's a picture showing a tree that I cut a limb off of while on a ladder. The actual limb isn't there but it was the same size as the one sitting on the ground closest to the camera with its butt end pointing to the left and another log on top of it. A tree service cut the tree down because the property owner was concerned I'd drop it on her house. Prudent on her part but I saved her money by bucking it up and splitting it for firewood.
View attachment 966866
I find photo's have a tendency to lie. Even on the 60" big screen I'm having trouble discerning what's going on. Surely no-one could believe you could hit that house in the picture. Maybe you have some seriously impressive talents?

OP- Cut 'em all around the fall zone and your escape route, be done with it. Just to perpetuate the ladder argument.....

I just yesterday cut a Queen Palm down in my own back yard from an extension ladder and then an 8' A frame ladder (closed) leaned against a Cabbage Palm.

The Queen hung over my Hot Tub, and the seed pods were prolific on this one, twice as much production as four others in my yard, and was getting so tall my PPT 2650 wasn't reaching it, and, more importantly, anything I cut off 2/3'rds of the Queen was going to drop on the hot tub thermal cover and break it. The seeds on the deck are like walking on marbles, or legos if you have kids..... It needed to go, just getting too big to trim as often as it needed to.

The exposure of the Queen over the Tub was exacerbated by Shade Pergolas over part of the tub and the very expensive Concrete tile roof on my house within six feet of the trunk, and the Cabbage palm 2 feet away and almost as tall, and the White Bird Of Paradise trees growing all around both. I had maybe a quarter of a diameter around the tree to set a ladder AND to drop anything freelly.

I covered the tub with two layers of plywood and put the extension ladder against the crown of the tree, and used my new little Milwaukee M12 Hatchet to disect the limbs in a way that they slowly drooped to where the wife or middle son could grab the tip, and guide it when I gave it the cut -off cut. (The Tool worked GREAT)

The size of the crown, the old boots that hadn't rotted off, was such that I spent alot of time on the extension ladders highest rung, one handing the 6" saw, one hand holding a solid boot, and cutting over head or right in my face, these boots may only weigh 2-7 pounds, but falling 12 feet and being triangular, they jump around when they hit the deck under my ladder. No, i didn't have my spurs or saddle, or was tied in. I did have to show my wife I could hang on the one boot with one hand, with my saw in nthe other, so she quit freaking out.....

Had to clear the old boots so I could then piece sections off.

I moved the Extension ladder out, and used the 8' to access the good hard boots on the Cabbage to climb it. I got myself into the top and turned backwards, to face the Queen and a gap of 2.5 feet, and with my CS 340 TH, sectioned the tree all the way to waist high, 16" at a time, cutting level and all the way through, to hang the TH on a Cabbage boot and then reaching out and rotating the but section off the trunk and let it bounce off the only spot of deck I had to drop anything. about 4 x 4' space. Junior would roll the cuts out of the way so I could keep dropping them there. (Junor had moved the ladder after I had gotten into the Cabbage, it was in the drop spot, and would have broken the ladder and my drops wouold have wound up on the tub anyway.)

Did I die, no. Anyone or anything hurt? No. Did I HAVE to take it out? Well it wasn't really on the list of things needing done, but, I did a quarterly trim of all my landscape, and when the wife said she wasn't going to cry over losing the tree, It just made sense for the future to take it out now. Spurs and Saddle dont help much when the height of the booted crown are larger than your reach. Google Queen Palm to see. ( I even brough home one of my nicer ladder stands for hunting in case I wanted to consider using it, which I did not)

The OP's tree? Just clear what you need to be safeish, when you drop the thing all at once from the ground. Or just make a trail that steers clear of it, which would be WORLDS easier......

Latest posts

Back