Professional recommendations dropping Huge dead oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother-in-law isn't into the same stuff I am. He had no idea that was going to happen and was laughing like that..... After the video stopped I think his words were "that can't be legal" LOL
My BIL and I like to do similar things. His catch phrase anytime he sees the government doing something disingenuous "and they won't let me burn wire", he's an electrician lol.

My BIL and I like to do similar things. His catch phrase anytime he sees the government doing something disingenuous "and they won't let me burn wire", he's an electrician lol.
Yea the old man was into Pyro technics but after they came to the house and were aholes and shook my mom and my disabled sister up he let his license lapse. I guess your privy to the atf or something showing up anytime while your possessing the license you don't have to possess any pyrotechnics explosives for them to come over a license to possess is enough

So can you give me some "pro" tips on doing the roof repair on that job :).
Did this one late last yr(dec) on my barn. Today I was finally able to do the rakes, vent/ridge cap, probably do some of the soffit and facia wed if the weather works out, drop more trees here and clean the mess up tomorrow.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Kq3xSdB5o2P571u7
Looks like you got it done, đź‘Ť!

That is a stumbling block for most of us! All the pieces need to come together to get big jobs done! For me, today it's the weather. Snowing outside so the house roof is on hold!
I'd start on the soffit today as I have the material here already, but that's not the best job to do when it's raining lol. Concrete is my next big purchase, need to start a give send go page :envy:. Then windows/doors/steel, I'm waiting on my checks from Joe ;).

I'd start on the soffit today as I have the material here already, but that's not the best job to do when it's raining lol. Concrete is my next big purchase, need to start a give send go page :envy:. Then windows/doors/steel, I'm waiting on my checks from Joe ;).
Keep me posting on the concrete donation thing

You're a better man than me. I'll climb any tree, but I hate roofs with a passion.

Me too. I hate roofs. Except that I won't climb any tree, either.
I chickened out on one last week. I thought it was easy, but I ended up needing to climb above my tie-in on an almost horizontal limb over a set of telephone wires. I decided it was better form to come back someday with an aerial device. My customer was pleased with my choice.

I suck on horizontal or low-pitch limbs with no overhead rope. I have a great imagination for bad results, and I keep seeing myself upside down on a branch, hanging from my lanyard, wishing I could get back up onto the topside. It doesn't help that my arthritic knees don't bend enough to allow me use my feet while butt-shuffling across the limb. Belly sliding on the top ain't my strong point either.

Say! It's snowing outside, with white bits accumulating in the corners around my building. The national weather service says there is only a 1% chance of precipitation. It's 18°F outside right now. :(
Yesterday was shirtsleeve weather at 70°. :)

Have to get a quote on concrete per sqft then guys can contribute based on square footage. My dads 30x56 concrete was maybe 6- 8k? But I can ask. It had rebar/mesh and fiberglass in it

We got a check from our state 1 week before Christmas, after we finished our Holiday shopping! Sadly, most of it went to getting through a 14 day power outage for fuel and groceries, our son and 2 teenage grandchildren were snowed in with us because the road to Tahoe ( I-80 ) was closed for a week due to the heavy snowfall. There was an almost daily run for fuel, groceries and BEER! The first 3 days were a real challenge to just make it to town, but my old Chevy never missed a beat!

Me too. I hate roofs. Except that I won't climb any tree, either.
I chickened out on one last week. I thought it was easy, but I ended up needing to climb above my tie-in on an almost horizontal limb over a set of telephone wires. I decided it was better form to come back someday with an aerial device. My customer was pleased with my choice.

I suck on horizontal or low-pitch limbs with no overhead rope. I have a great imagination for bad results, and I keep seeing myself upside down on a branch, hanging from my lanyard, wishing I could get back up onto the topside. It doesn't help that my arthritic knees don't bend enough to allow me use my feet while butt-shuffling across the limb. Belly sliding on the top ain't my strong point either.

Say! It's snowing outside, with white bits accumulating in the corners around my building. The national weather service says there is only a 1% chance of precipitation. It's 18°F outside right now. :(
Yesterday was shirtsleeve weather at 70°. :)
Those were never my favorite either, or damn pecans... go up 10 or 15 feet, then head 5 different directions...

Del, this was Houston after Ike. I was cleaning up in the Crosby Atascocita area, and the girl I was with knew the Atascocita fire chief. He found out about me, and called us over to get some widowmakers out of his trees. He met us in a sling. Robin said "what happened?" He said well, tried to do it from a ladder. Then she asked him if his truck got smashed during Ike and he turned beet red and admitted the ladder wasn't quite long enough...
I asked him how many homeowner ladder accidents he had responded to, and he amazingly said, well, I'm a fireman, we know about ladders...
Turns out the reason he called Robin was he had heard about me and knew I was from out of town and was hoping to keep it a secret... fat chance, lol🤣🤣🤣
Well I once did a somersault out of the back of a pickup, with a running chainsaw - but that was because the tree next to the one I was working on did something weird (don't even remember what now). Friend's place in a tiny little farm town west of hear - hundreds of acres of open field to the windward - a gust of wind came along - and I bailed. :D

Latest posts

Back