Professional recommendations dropping Huge dead oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be safe, you certified high risk worker you...
I'm doing a bit of garden maintenance today and they keep me on a pretty short leash. I try to have as much fun as possible but it's a bit hard in such a pedestrian role.
If you compare this

thumbnail_IMG_9092[1].jpg

to this, you might understand what I mean.

20210121_132050.jpg

I've done that before. Good to know I'm not the only one.
Do you know why the number of pages in this thread keeps changing? It's annoying the hell out of me.

Your pages will be changing because I am deleting all the off topic posts. Yours & mine, and anyone else that didn't stick to the dead oak.

I was mistakenly allowing this thread to go far afield of it's topic. Fixing it now, but it takes some time. To those that committed time & keystrokes that are now gone... Sorry 'bout that. Let's not go so far off topic in the future, please.

Just for the record, I was as far off topic as anyone else. No fingers being pointed at anyone, here.

Cal, did you get that oak down? I really hope you didn't start whacking at those firs under tension.
Thanks for the concern but after cutting down two other hangers and bucking them up for my friend, my back said to go lay down. It started to snow and rain so I put the one you gave suggestions on down on the to do list a way.
My current plan is to go back up and clear out some of that fir thicket to give me room to run as fast as I can if it goes south and remove anypotential for the oak to get hung up again. I'd like to take a pole saw to cut off some limbs on one side of the oak but I think it's just too high. I hope to get a line around the oak near where the fir is and tie it to a tree to keep it from moving to the side in one direction. I'll then use my 18' pole saw to start cutting on that bent fir so it'll collapse and drop the oaks crown. It's under such strain that I don't think I'll need to get more than a couple inches into it before it fails.
It's all dependent on there being no branches from the oak being over or close to being over my head.
If I don't feel safe about doing it that way I can only try to get a line high up in the fir under the oak and try to put enough strain on it to break it or cause it to release the oak, The bad part is that I can't get my truck close to it to pull on it (I know, I know) so that leaves a come along with a lot of wire rope sections to get away from it.
This should be over in the other thread but if you don't care, I don't.

Your pages will be changing because I am deleting all the off topic posts. Yours & mine, and anyone else that didn't stick to the dead oak.

I was mistakenly allowing this thread to go far afield of it's topic. Fixing it now, but it takes some time.
Awwww, C'mon now, I was thinking the long way round was good reading. Saw some good manners for the most part. Just waiting for the OP to join back in but chuckling at the thought of him saying something like, "That's the last time I ask an arborist a question about a tree."

Awwww, C'mon now, I was thinking the long way round was good reading. Saw some good manners for the most part. Just waiting for the OP to join back in but chuckling at the thought of him saying something like, "That's the last time I ask an arborist a question about a tree."
There was this one time back in band camp...

Thanks for the concern but after cutting down two other hangers and bucking them up for my friend, my back said to go lay down. It started to snow and rain so I put the one you gave suggestions on down on the to do list a way.
My current plan is to go back up and clear out some of that fir thicket to give me room to run as fast as I can if it goes south and remove anypotential for the oak to get hung up again. I'd like to take a pole saw to cut off some limbs on one side of the oak but I think it's just too high. I hope to get a line around the oak near where the fir is and tie it to a tree to keep it from moving to the side in one direction. I'll then use my 18' pole saw to start cutting on that bent fir so it'll collapse and drop the oaks crown. It's under such strain that I don't think I'll need to get more than a couple inches into it before it fails.
It's all dependent on there being no branches from the oak being over or close to being over my head.
If I don't feel safe about doing it that way I can only try to get a line high up in the fir under the oak and try to put enough strain on it to break it or cause it to release the oak, The bad part is that I can't get my truck close to it to pull on it (I know, I know) so that leaves a come along with a lot of wire rope sections to get away from it.
I always care, this why I'm on this site.

I have won quite a few safety awards. (not bragging) There is a significant difference between OSHA and ANSI standards.
ANSI standards are designed/written to keep you safe by using proper techniques and materials.
OSHA is a law enforcement agency. They are the ones who make it very expensive for not following good procedures. They carry a badge!
OSHA is satisfied with compliance, ANSI is only satisfied with safety - and keeping your ass in 1 piece!
You can be OSHA compliant and die! I could give many examples......

The fact that this subject has gone 6 pages (so far) tells you there is a lot to think about.
Where there is much disagreement (and misinformation) there is a lot to be concerned about.

I’m well aware of the OSHA & ANSI relationship: ANSI sets the standards & OSHA enforces them.

I’ve been responsible for people on Jobs that both OSHA & the MOL have shut down due to another contractor’s activities & also for former disgruntled employee anonymous complaints.

Depending on what region you are in, OSHA has certain topics they can see from riding down the road & they have the authority to drop in & cite offenses.

There’s always a lot to think about but the main thing is that the OP doesn’t need to follow poor advice, & anyone recommending using a chainsaw while on a ladder is giving poor advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I didn't reside on the opposite side of the planet I would probably sneak in and cut it down for him. Though you Americans have an unhealthy obsession with guns. Wouldn't want to take a chainsaw to a gun fight.

Good Idea for you: I’ll be completely honest, I have no intent to bring chainsaw to gunfight.

Your ancestor blokes took being told what to do a little better by a foreign throne than our ancestors did: it was known as exceptionalism in a previous generation.

It’s not an obsession if it’s ingrained in our history. I know a few Aussies that wish y’all had a 2A as well.

Are explosives considered arms and hence your right to have them is protected by your second amendment? I would consider dynamite and the such to be much nearer to the arms available when that was written than an AR-15 is to the guns of that era.

Grandfather used to buy dynamite by the cases: used it to blast stumps & shoot rock but now you’ve got to be licensed to purchase or transport it.

I often joke that it’s lucky that no terrorists have even heard of Perth. Mainly because you constantly see b-doubles carrying 40 ton of ammonium nitrate up to the mines. Not quite in the league of that Beirut blast but I would guess enough to level a city block.

That’s what was used in Oklahoma City: it’s plenty & you’re right.

If you can, take someone with you to watch the top & be your 2nd set of eyes: it’s easy to get all into getting it on the ground & forget to keep looking up as you are cutting.

If you can, take someone with you to watch the top & be your 2nd set of eyes: it’s easy to get all into getting it on the ground & forget to keep looking up as you are cutting.

If there's something to be cut down, there's always at least two of us. If there's something to be cut up, it's often done alone. It's all about the direction I guess.
Blanket statements about ladders and saws is as foolish as saying never run with scissors. Think it's wrong, don't do it. Think it can't be done safely, then you're incapable of differentiating between what is and isn't a real hazard. OSHA rules are written for those people and they will always show as proof guys 30' up in a tree being knocked on the ground when it barber chairs or the ladder falls off the tree. That isn't every ladder, every tree, and every cutting situation. Stay close to the ground on your ladder with your theater of operation limited to limbs as was contemplated in my original suggestion.

Latest posts

Back