Professional ? tree srvc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:rolleyes:
If this is not appropriate for here, please move.

I saw these guys this morning at work. I am a foreman on a road milling crew for a paving company. I first grabbed the camera when I heard a noise and saw the small husky saw on the grass, and the tree experts legs hanging over the gutter, and braced on the trunk of the tree. The top, that he had intentionally dropped on the roof, fell to the ground and knocked him on his a$$ when he tried to cut thru the still connected hinge.If he hadn't caught himself on the trunk, I would have been dialing 911 instead of grabbing the camera.

Any safety barricades are mine from my road work.

Note the generous use of PPE.
Sorry for the grainy pics, I had to zoom in on them.
Couple more photos next post.

Here are the rest. When he was taking the chunks off he cut toward himself with one hand while holding the chunk in the other and balancing. I can't believe he didn't fall or cut himself.

They kept disappearing behind the house, I'm pretty sure he was high as a kite.

Last edited:
Well... I'm sure he was being paid...:rolleyes:

I like the last shot the best. My guys were howling.

:confused:
Well... I'm sure he was being paid...:rolleyes:

I like the last shot the best. My guys were howling.

Unfortunately it is this that makes the rest of industry look bad.. and drives the prices way down. Looks like he has a lot of overhead that he needs to cover with his prices..

Hmm.. what did he have for tools.. maybe one chainsaw.
No safety harness, no lanyard, no safety boots, no chaps, no hard hats, no safety glasses, no gloves, no rigging of any kind, no work area protection (pylons, signs), no chipper.. no trailer or dump.. likely not even a truck. Likely no insurance, no WSIB, no income tax.. the list goes on and the profit goes up!!

These hacks can work for next to nothing and end up with as much in their pocket (maybe more) than a legitimate operator who is charging 5 times as much. Frankly they all should be outlawed.. fined or thrown in jail.. Oops.. am I getting too emotional here.. :censored::confused::censored:

Definitely not the property owner.

It's a lawyers office.

I spoke to the "climber", and he actually mentioned all the possums and groundhogs at his place, and recommended them to me for chewing the asphalt off the street.

I seriously could not make this stuff up.

We were laughing at the show, but it was that uneasy kind of laugh,where you just know things could go real bad at any moment.

I wasn't able to get a pic, but his boy was sporting a t-shirt with a huge question mark on it. Kinda sums up the whole affair.

The tree to the right side of the one he was on is probably also gonna come down, and it is tall enough to get into the primaries.

Could have a Darwin candidate.

Last edited:
I love this, a road paver critiquing tree work.

I don't see what had your guys howling at the last picture. While i don't usually stand on a roof, i make a similar cut daily, especially on something that small. In fact, here's one better for you-on chunks that small on wood that light, will start the cut with both hands on the 357, hold up the chunk with one hand while cutting with the other, rip through it quick enough you can "balance" the chunk on the bar and flip it away with strong enough wrists. (To the tree guys, bad habit not good for the saw, i know.) lol

Y'all quit Hatin' and hush!!!

Morticians gotta make a living too ya know, and they would starve if it weren't for valuable idiots like this guy.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I love this, a road paver critiquing tree work.

I don't see what had your guys howling at the last picture. While i don't usually stand on a roof, i make a similar cut daily, especially on something that small. In fact, here's one better for you-on chunks that small on wood that light, will start the cut with both hands on the 357, hold up the chunk with one hand while cutting with the other, rip through it quick enough you can "balance" the chunk on the bar and flip it away with strong enough wrists. (To the tree guys, bad habit not good for the saw, i know.) lol

You're right, I am out of my element here, and don't have any business critiquing... but I'll bet you don't look like you are going to cut your own throat every time the saw revs. The bermuda shorts and the way this guy was using the chunk that he was cutting to hold himself... I forgot to mention that the saw was set to idle so fast that the chain never stopped moving. Every move he made was tentative and off balance. He was very proud that his saw survived two falls. Once from the roof, and once from the top of the ladder. He hooked it on top, and then came down, and knocked it off when he moved the ladder. It was unbelievable.:dizzy:

You're right, I am out of my element here, and don't have any business critiquing...

You may be somewhat out of your element here.

But, none the less, most of what this guy is lacking is common sense.. not something that would take an arborist 10 or 20 years of experience to gain.

This is NOT a difficult take down.. frankly if it was difficult then he either would not be doing it, would have broken something or possibly killed somebody if carrying on the same way.

I think this is a situation where a "reasonable person" can come to the conclusion that something is wrong

dropping a top on the roof?

With a snap cut, you can make a bottom cut to near failure, then just a small top cut. It snaps off easy, and you have the tab facing you for a better grip.

If it is so light, cut it longer.

I love it when you see workers, no matter the type of work, that think it is ok to wear jacked up clothing, I seen a road crew guy that had a " f-her, I did" no dif than a guy who happens to be working on a tree with a big "?" on it!

Unfortunately, when guys like these ones get hurt, the statistics hurt us as-well, my insurance company, as I'm sure many of yours do this as-well, send me a list of tree accidents every year, it is their nice way of telling me why my insurance is so expensive.

Interesting that a lawyer hired this guy. Seems like a lawyer would be schooled in personal injury law. As much as I'd like to complain about this guy on the roof, the ho (lawyer) more than likely hired him. I tell potential customers I'm a certified arborist, so much training etc, work comp on the crew and gen Liab. insurance, trucks won't leak oil everywhere etc, and some still will pass on my service to save $100 with someone like the guy on the roof.

But I see it as my responsibility; I didn't do a good enough job selling our service. And the reality that we operate in a industry that lags far behind others in compliance to industry standards.

SO they got it done, didn't get hurt by the grace of God, or dumb luck, probably charged $100...

This is what makes a lot of people think they can do anything or that as a HO you don't need an expensive professional...

Would anyone hire that guy to wire their house, install the gas, or fix the plumbing...? Usually not, yet way too easy to think its ok to get them to 'just cut the tree down'!

and some still will pass on my service to save $100 with someone like the guy on the roof.

So true. And they seem to be far to plentiful. Frankly the guys like that on roof do get the job done more often than not without serious injury or breakage.. Sometime they are more than $100 less though!!

But I see it as my responsibility; I didn't do a good enough job selling our service.

Well, tough to sell.. some just after the lowest price.

And the reality that we operate in a industry that lags far behind others in compliance to industry standards.

Agreed.. wish frankly that would change.

There should be mandatory insurance requirements, WSIB requirements (well that is law here but lots still go without it), minimal training requirements (aboriculture training - not necessarily certifications but some level of training in saw safety, rigging, climbing, etc).. Would to some degree level the playing field.

Doubt we will get there in my lifetime.

Latest posts

Back