Professional ? tree srvc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two days later, and the pile of chunks is still there... no more work done.

We paved the street. Maybe he got hurt or fired. I don't know. I was moving to the next one.

I guess you guys deal with this every day. I think it is probably worse for this industry because anyone with a saw can take work away from guys and gals who are invested in doing it right.

I too thought it was interesting that it was a lawyer who presumably hired this fool to do the work. We are obviously just guessing at the arrangement, but the cliche's ring true, don't they?

For what it's worth, I heat my home with firewood primarily, and will go cut trees down for the wood. I don't advertise or anything like that, I just want to keep my kids warm in the winter.

One of the guys who works for me wanted rid of a few maples in his yard and I went to look at them. He was #####ing about the $600.00 each quotes that he had (from more than one outfit). I took one look and told him to forget it. They were snarled in the service drop and immediately over his, and his neighbors houses.

I told him six bills was cheap and he should hire pro's.

The risk and liability was punching you in the face.

I have the utmost respect for professionals who do this work well.

Although I have nothing much to contribute, I enjoy reading this forum, and learning a little.

Thanks. Jarret.

Would anyone hire that guy to wire their house, install the gas, or fix the plumbing...? Usually not, yet way too easy to think its ok to get them to 'just cut the tree down'!

Right on the mark!! And if they don't they have a friend who will.. or worse yet.. as an example there (I think) there are lot of people out there running some so called tree service who is frankly no better than some home owners. The only way out of this, from what I have found is to get bucket truck, dump truck, big chipper.. and go after the jobs that are too big for these hacks (at least most of them do know their limits).

Right on the mark!! And if they don't they have a friend who will.. or worse yet.. as an example there (I think) there are lot of people out there running some so called tree service who is frankly no better than some home owners. The only way out of this, from what I have found is to get bucket truck, dump truck, big chipper.. and go after the jobs that are too big for these hacks (at least most of them do know their limits).

Yeah, so true. We try to keep separating ourselves from the herd; contact and solicit work from larger commercial jobs, universities, cities etc. If we have to compete with that guy on the roof for a backyard 40 ft. maple removal he wins everytime. But the condo complexes and nicer neighborhoods don't call him.

You guys critiquing that guy as a tree worker is funny. That is no tree worker. Sorry but no saddle, no rope, no tree worker. That is a guy with a chainsaw, period. He's the bother or maybe a client who got the ear of the owner and conned him into letting him do a favor (Meaning I can do it cheaper than a pro, favor. By the looks of him, he needs work). Who knows the real story. I've seen this thing happen several times in my lifetime. He's the guy who made it through without getting killed but you all have heard the stories of people who have. This guy looks like he got lucky. Got to use that head on your shoulders. :jawdrop:

You guys critiquing that guy as a tree worker is funny. That is no tree worker. Sorry but no saddle, no rope, no tree worker.

Well.. he is not a fully trained and qualified tree worker.

But there are some companies around here who sell themselves as Tree Removal services.. and frankly are not much better than what you see here.

Came back on for a minute to thank daddy for posting the pics, great stuff. Hope to get later to for more discussion on this subject, running laaaate for work.

not surprising at all.

Interesting that a lawyer hired this guy. Seems like a lawyer would be schooled in personal injury law. As much as I'd like to complain about this guy on the roof, the ho (lawyer) more than likely hired him. I tell potential customers I'm a certified arborist, so much training etc, work comp on the crew and gen Liab. insurance, trucks won't leak oil everywhere etc, and some still will pass on my service to save $100 with someone like the guy on the roof.

But I see it as my responsibility; I didn't do a good enough job selling our service. And the reality that we operate in a industry that lags far behind others in compliance to industry standards.

Lawyers are some of the cheapest bastards around.Doctors too.You would think a doctor would mostly be concerned about safety.Nope.All they care about is price.

Back