Professionals?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of big Egos on this thread, but that goes with being good in my book. My buisness skills are pretty weak so self employment hasn't work out well for me, but I have a lot of respect for the Pro's that can run a buisness and do the job right.
I might be a big fish in a small pound, but around these parts I make anywhere from double to triple what a lot of climbers make. I'm not as fast as I use to be but several different Companys seem to think I'm professional enough to use when their own employees can't or won't do the job. I like to think my pride and Ego forces my skill level to be high. I want to be professional there fore I am always learning and trying to expand my skills and understanding. My big Ego doesn't want to be caught short.
I know some good climber who I would call professional at trimming, but they can't safely do a technical removal, or assess a hazard tree, or diagnose a diseased tree, some can do all that and more, does that make that tree trimmer any less a Professional?
I think I'm a decent feller but a Humboldt logger would probably think me an amateur(still can't get that soft dutchman down.ha)
Even Doctors and lawyers sometimes call a professional for a specialty job. Does that make them less a Doctor? Or the fact they know their limitations make them a Professional.
Not sure where I am going with this. The job I had for today got put off because of 40 mile an hour winds, so I'm home bored. Beastmaster

There are a lot of big Egos on this thread, but that goes with being good in my book. My buisness skills are pretty weak so self employment hasn't work out well for me, but I have a lot of respect for the Pro's that can run a buisness and do the job right.
I might be a big fish in a small pound, but around these parts I make anywhere from double to triple what a lot of climbers make. I'm not as fast as I use to be but several different Companys seem to think I'm professional enough to use when their own employees can't or won't do the job. I like to think my pride and Ego forces my skill level to be high. I want to be professional there fore I am always learning and trying to expand my skills and understanding. My big Ego doesn't want to be caught short.
I know some good climber who I would call professional at trimming, but they can't safely do a technical removal, or assess a hazard tree, or diagnose a diseased tree, some can do all that and more, does that make that tree trimmer any less a Professional?
I think I'm a decent feller but a Humboldt logger would probably think me an amateur(still can't get that soft dutchman down.ha)
Even Doctors and lawyers sometimes call a professional for a specialty job. Does that make them less a Doctor? Or the fact they know their limitations make them a Professional.
Not sure where I am going with this. The job I had for today got put off because of 40 mile an hour winds, so I'm home bored. Beastmaster

I respectfully disagree. Most people associate big ego's with incompetence. Anybody who is really good at what they do, doesn't have to go around telling everybody how good they are. Other people do it for them. The best guys that I have worked with in this field have always been very quiet, focused and willing to help the new guys stay safe.

I may be using the word ego, out of context. No one likes a loud bragging, know it all. What word would describe, supremely confident and competent, prideful of the type of work or profession he or she does. Insert that word in place of ego and maybe it'll make more sense. Ego was a poor choice of words.
Though many times people who think their supremely confident and competent developed big Egos, you see it in many professions
I'm a Chan practitioner and see the ego different then some. I'll edit when I find the right word. Beastmaster

Hey Beast, I was in Banning all morning! Dang! 37 degrees and 50-60 mph winds. Yeah, you ain't working in the wind, impossible.
Jeff
I had a removal over a house. I figured 3 hours, but in that wind 8 hours. What were you guy doing in 50 mph winds? I passed two over turned rigs on the way to work today. Crazy.
It suppose to die down in the morning.

I may be using the word ego, out of context. No one likes a loud bragging, know it all. What word would describe, supremely confident and competent, prideful of the type of work or profession he or she does. Insert that word in place of ego and maybe it'll make more sense. Ego was a poor choice of words.
Though many times people who think their supremely confident and competent developed big Egos, you see it in many professions
I'm a Chan practitioner and see the ego different then some. I'll edit when I find the right word. Beastmaster

Professionalism? :)

I respectfully disagree. Most people associate big ego's with incompetence. Anybody who is really good at what they do, doesn't have to go around telling everybody how good they are. Other people do it for them. The best guys that I have worked with in this field have always been very quiet, focused and willing to help the new guys stay safe.

I think you are confusing those who say they are gods gift to _________ and those of us who say that we know what we are talking about. If you are going to do that then you have to occasionally blow your own horn; as with this thread where I try to differentiate what I do and a skilled technician who takes a new climber under his/her (happy Guy? ;) ) wing.

This may be were the difference between professional and Professional comes into play. When you parse the argument this then the climbing arborist is professional, where as the "Arboriculture Professional" has a sufficient knowledge of many different scientific disciplines.

A Professional Arborist also knows something about mycology and soil science.
Guy can go on for hours about mushrooms and soil types;
therefore, Guy is a true arborist.

I had a removal over a house. I figured 3 hours, but in that wind 8 hours. What were you guy doing in 50 mph winds? I passed two over turned rigs on the way to work today. Crazy.
It suppose to die down in the morning.

It was just me out by Oaks Valley Golf course. The crews were in San Diego. I was tagging trees for removal next week.
Jeff

I suppose I am not a professional. I derive less than 25 percent of my income from tree trimming and removal. ( I do all I can get???? :))

Please you 'pro's' be kind to me........

:)

I think you are confusing those who say they are gods gift to _________ and those of us who say that we know what we are talking about. If you are going to do that then you have to occasionally blow your own horn; as with this thread where I try to differentiate what I do and a skilled technician who takes a new climber under his/her (happy Guy? ;) ) wing.

This may be were the difference between professional and Professional comes into play. When you parse the argument this then the climbing arborist is professional, where as the "Arboriculture Professional" has a sufficient knowledge of many different scientific disciplines.

A Professional Arborist also knows something about mycology and soil science.
Guy can go on for hours about mushrooms and soil types;
therefore, Guy is a true arborist.

I think the guys that don't know what they are doing, thin themselves out pretty fast. They either give up, or get hurt. I think after a tricky removal, we all look back at it and say "damn, I'm pretty good". There is a huge difference between having confidence in what we do, and saying "i am so good that I can charge other people for my knowledge". I give knowledge to the younger guys, and take it from the older guys.. Its kind of a natural flow type thing.. My need to keep the younger guys safe, is more important than making money off my knowledge. I'm glad the older guys that I get knowledge from, feel the same way. :)

Back