project oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is a pin oak I am working on. I did some work in the lower half of the tree. It needs much more work in the upper half. The HO only had enough $$$ to do half of it now. I will be doing more work on this fall. It was planted in 1943 and has never been pruned except for Asphlund hacking it off the lines. I need to fix some bad cuts they made and clean out more dead plus a couple of broken off stubs in the upper canopy from the ice storm this winter. I thinks its best to let this old tree recover anyways from the live green I had to take off. I took quite abit of big live limbs off the lower and middle canopy.

Before:
attachment.php

That kid is 6'7" tall btw

After:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Yeah, I find myself doing a lot of lower work to those oaks and not touching the top. You know I ain't gonna climb all the way up there for free.

and i always do the whole thing and gotta bid agianst guys who only do half. Homeowners don't know the difference but the tree does...

Of course i'd like to do the whole tree but im not gonna lose money for the benefit of the customer. I gave him a price to do the whole tree and half. He decided to do half. He was very impressed with my work and is saving money to do the rest in the fall. I'm not worryed about competition on this one cause i got connections.:bowdown:

Not to bash you in any way, but aren't you concerned about an increase in secondary damage?

That tree has seen many hardships in its life and has managed to look good through it all. Heck it's never been pruned before me, I think it can last 6 months. Also I took quite abit of green out of it I think giving it some time to recover from the stress is the best thing for it rather than do it all at once. I know this cause she spoke to me:msp_wink:

Also I took quite abit of green out of it I think giving it some time to recover from the stress is the best thing for it rather than do it all at once. I know this cause she spoke to me:msp_wink:

Good on you to listen. It makes sense for us to ask the tree's permission before cutting on it.

not sue why so much green came off the bottom, but smart to think about dose.

typically i'm with natewood--do the whole tree, you may never be back.

Good on you to listen. It makes sense for us to ask the tree's permission before cutting on it.

Well then you guys must have some secret to staying in business while working for free. I certainly would have like to do the whole tree but im here to make money not give free handouts.

I took green out of the bottom mostly for clearance issues like lines house and sidewalk as this was the customers main concern. I tryed to leave as much lower stuff on as I could, some branches just wouldn't have had anything left after reduction. I also took a few green branches off in the middle that were stubbed back from the power company.

I will certainly be back to do more work on this tree till then lets see how it responds.

You are right though im concerned with a few more branches in the upper canopy. I have a job down the road maybe I could do a quick target prune to get the worst of them and get the rest in fall. Maybe the HO could make a paymenst to me if not guess he is getting it done for free. See now you feel bad. WTF!

yeah well what if it said "No" ?

Well then you guys must have some secret to staying in business while working for free. I certainly would have like to do the whole tree but im here to make money not give free handouts.

I took green out of the bottom mostly for clearance issues like lines house and sidewalk as this was the customers main concern. I tryed to leave as much lower stuff on as I could, some branches just wouldn't have had anything left after reduction. I also took a few green branches off in the middle that were stubbed back from the power company.

I will certainly be back to do more work on this tree till then lets see how it responds.

Yes, how much easier would it be if The Great Corruptor ( money) was not involved?
I think you did well with the budget you were given and I know you did the things to make the client understand. And I know that if the budget was there you would have no problem doing what our pre-conceived notion of what a tree needs.
It just may be about trees to some but in most cases its about people. Like say if there were no people involved would the tree even be considered?

and i always do the whole thing and gotta bid agianst guys who only do half. Homeowners don't know the difference but the tree does...

Well then take the 600 bucks the clients has to spend on the tree and do it! What are you waiting for? A pat on the back? Go ahead, die like Jesus, maybe you will start a religion of people who go around pruning trees to spec for tiths and offerings.

The first words out of my mouth when I see one of those "neglected" pin oaks are " look, we are going to be talking around a grand to do the whole tree, if you don't want to talk about that let me know, we can do the main parts for a lesser price" Sometimes they talk, sometimes they walk.

Latest posts

Back