Project saw maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuty04

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I stumbled on an old 026 that the guy says has scored P & C. He says he removed the muffler and visually identified this but doesn't know what caused it and hasn't been into the saw any further. He's firm at $75.

He's also offering a complete oem gasket/seal kit for $25 and after market P & C kit for $35. Doesn't say the brand of this kit.

What bothers me is the guy obviously bought all the parts to repair the saw and is now choosing not to. My knee jerk thought is that he discovered something seriously wrong which would make the repairs not reasonable.
The fact that he clearly stated "I don't know reason for failure and haven't done anything to the saw except remove the muffler to inspect cylinder and piston", kinda makes me think that he has been deeper into it.

So if I buy it, I'd definitely get the gasket seal kit from him as well. If the p & c kit is a quality kit, I'd buy it from him as well. Otherwise, and preferably, I'd buy an oem p & c kit.

I've read here that the 026 were prone to flywheel seals blowing so that's a possibility too.

Being the newby I am with saws, I just don't know enough to make an educated decision.

I would like to have a fun project that will help me learn more about saws.

So what you guys think, worth it or not?

Its most likely a straight gassed saw or commonly airleaks cuase this too. If the saw is in good shape otherwise its worth 75$ or 100$ with gasket kit. I'd buy it and try to clean up the cylinder and put a new piston in it (meteor with caber rings )all you'd need to do to the cylinder is clean the transfer of from the piston. But before I tore it down I'd pressure test it to see if it revealed an airleak

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

For that saw with replacement parts it is a decent deal.

More than once I’ve planned to build something then found something better or easier to work on and cut my losses.

Ok i think I'll pull the trigger. Worst case is I'll have my first parts saw. I'm thinking I'm gonna get into collecting 026, 260 series of saws. I also want to teach myself how to do porting on them.

Just got through messaging the guy. Apparently he fixes saws and resell s them. That really makes me Leary why he bought all the parts for this one but isn't fixing it.

I did. He said he owns a saw repair business. He said he's very busy and just pulled the muffler and seen it had a scored p & c. He said he doesn't have much in the saw and is selling for a quick flip since he's so busy. Otherwise, he'll eventually fix it and sell. He said he has no idea why it's scored. He even said the p & c kit he's got is a cheap aftermarket kit that he wouldn't want to use and avised me to buy a better kit but that many customers want cheap so he's offering it. He said he wouldn't ever lie to just dump a saw because that would bite him down the road.
Sounds legit. Think I'll buy it.

Yeah i definitely won't be using cheap parts. Do it right the first time is what I was taught.
Yup. If you are going to run the saw long term it’s best to use OE or high quality replacement.

With that being said, some of the cheap AM P+C’s are decent but you still want to clean up the ports and use good rings and circlips.

So the saw and oem gasket/seal kit feom him for $100. Add in new hoses, crank seals and intake boot, maybe go ahead and get a new adjustable carb, try ro find a used oem cylinder and a new meteor piston. Or should I go for the slightly larger 260 p&c kit?

Another thing is that version of the 026 is pre-1996 so it is missing the adjustable chain driven oiler (oiler oils all the time the engine is running). It also uses the old narrow air filter and can't be converted to the newer wider style with the compensating carb.

Personally, I would pass on this one. About 4 years ago I found a newer Pro version with the same issue. I paid $75 for it then and it came with the Stihl carrying case and 4 extra chains.

If you can handle these limitations it is what it is. They are still good saws. At that age plan on replacing seals and rubber which all add up. If the cylinder can be cleaned up just put a new meteor piston in it. If not look for a good used p&c on fleabay.

Another thing is that version of the 026 is pre-1996 so it is missing the adjustable chain driven oiler (oiler oils all the time the engine is running). It also uses the old narrow air filter and can't be converted to the newer wider style with the compensating carb.

Personally, I would pass on this one. About 4 years ago I found a newer Pro version with the same issue. I paid $75 for it then and it came with the Stihl carrying case and 4 extra chains.

If you can handle these limitations it is what it is. They are still good saws. At that age plan on replacing seals and rubber which all add up. If the cylinder can be cleaned up just put a new meteor piston in it. If not look for a good used p&c on fleabay.
Good advice.

Latest posts

Back