Project Stumpbroke 71cc Sweedish Stratos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good Stumpy. Pending my big bore kit arrival (priority mail) I'll be doing a 2171 build. Hopefully I'll some similar gains. I'll have decent supervision and that'll help.

The good Lord has blessed me with the opportunity to build two saws back to back that are the same but will be receiving different treatments. I have a brand new Jonsered 2172 and a well used Husky 372 X-TORQ that needed bearings & a new piston. I had the go ahead to do whatever I wanted to the husky, but the owner of the Jonny wanted to keep it a true strato.

The plans are to build the husky & do away with the split induction so that it pulls fue/air mix through the stratto ports also. Basically the same thing I do to the MS261. It will be receiving a Tilly carb off of a 385xp wich is pretty much a direct swap.

The Jonny will be built to keep it a stratto. Other than the induction it will be the same as the husky. This will hopefully answer a few questions about which way produces more power. Ill also be throwing a standard ported quadport 372 in the mix for the test vids to see how the old generations stack up against the new X-TORQs.

I think the orange is prettier
100_2652.jpg

But some prefer the black over red colors.
100_2651.jpg
I sure love them Swede's! Hard to beat those Tilly's too:msp_thumbup: Looking good my friend:cool2:

Nice work on the new stratos. However, you've also demonstrated why I still recommend the non-strato saw. They're stronger, period. Nuff said.
Im just asking, because I know little of strato, but though I heard my shop say all new saws are a strato type, even the 441?

Im just asking, because I know little of strato, but though I heard my shop say all new saws are a strato type, even the 441?

441's are strato's. And the M-Tronic one's run so good it's very easy to forget that.

I think out of the box the 441C is one of the best revving strato's, although I haven't ran a 550xp or a 562xp. In vids, those appear to rev nicely as well. I think that is the key to making a strato that ASsawgeeks will embrace, the zippy free-rev kind of personality. Strato's make the torque, but explosive revs are where its at for me.

Do you have a stock 2171/372 to run aganst that strato versions in that same wood. Because I would like to see that.:rock:

Was the bar being used a 28 or a 24? I would be happy with either of the 3 saws. A few seconds may matter in racing or production work, but to someone who cuts part-time it makes very little difference. Good work as always Stumpy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back