Proline piston warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was assembling an 056 with a 54mm top end, and I had a Proline piston on the bench that I was going to install. I had bought an 056 Mag II piston from them a few years back and it seemed to be close to oem quality. This one was packaged differently and had a bit of casting flash, which I cleaned up. When I went to install it, however, it has a good 2-3mm of side to side play on the rod and it is unusable. When I looked at the box, the Proline label is slapped over a generic "white box" label, similar to the ones you see on LRB piston boxes. I will be doing what I should have done in the first place and ordering a piston from The Duke, but I wanted to give y'all a heads up about this issue first.

Had a similar issue with a 350 a while back... Piston was good otherwise but saw had a rattle as the connecting rod floated excessively & contacted the counterweights. Made shims up for it which worked but have never been confident with that as a fix so haven't really run it much

I was assembling an 056 with a 54mm top end, and I had a Proline piston on the bench that I was going to install. I had bought an 056 Mag II piston from them a few years back and it seemed to be close to oem quality. This one was packaged differently and had a bit of casting flash, which I cleaned up. When I went to install it, however, it has a good 2-3mm of side to side play on the rod and it is unusable. When I looked at the box, the Proline label is slapped over a generic "white box" label, similar to the ones you see on LRB piston boxes. I will be doing what I should have done in the first place and ordering a piston from The Duke, but I wanted to give y'all a heads up about this issue first.

Sharing with others so they know. Also tagging Chris aka Dukes now known as Saw Salvage in FB chainsaw repair group. https://www.sawsalvage.co/

Thanks for heads up.

Back