propane hit $4.99 a gal in central Illinois

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to get a Kuuma:chop:

I will say we have been getting an extra lot of inquiries because of this, which is always nice for business!!

You can bet there will be more chimney fires because of it. Quick shoddy installs, lack of experience, and desperate people burning green wood. Dangerous combo.

Last edited:
What are they using for an excuse this time?
This is just ridiculous.
Doesn't look like it will get better any time soon.

Supplies were reduced because 300 million gallons of propane was used to dry crop harvests in the Midwest last year, far above the 65 million gallons used in 2012, said Jeff Petrash, a vice president of the National Propane Gas Association, a trade group based in Washington.
“There was a record grain harvest in the Midwest this year, it came later than normal, it came during a rainy time so that the grain was wet,” Petrash said. “That came later in the season and tended to draw down inventories in the Midwest below where they would normally be.”

Talked to a buddy this morning. Propane over $4 gallon and a limit of 200 gallons.

Crazy. The only propane appliance we have is the clothes drier. It will be replaced with an electric one when the tank is empty.

Doesn't look like it will get better any time soon.

Supplies were reduced because 300 million gallons of propane was used to dry crop harvests in the Midwest last year, far above the 65 million gallons used in 2012, said Jeff Petrash, a vice president of the National Propane Gas Association, a trade group based in Washington.
“There was a record grain harvest in the Midwest this year, it came later than normal, it came during a rainy time so that the grain was wet,” Petrash said. “That came later in the season and tended to draw down inventories in the Midwest below where they would normally be.”

Talked to a buddy this morning. Propane over $4 gallon and a limit of 200 gallons.

WOW, that's $800.00, Before I installed my OWB I was using more than that per month in the winter.
Guess I'd be mighty cold.

It is 4.99 here in west central Iowa as well. No problem with supply but limiting delivery to 150 gallons. Better get some more wood cut.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I hear-tell they're rationing 'round here also.
Don't know what the limit is... but they won' fill ya' up at any price.
My 500 gallon tank is at about 20%... haven't even powered on the propane furnace this year, but we do use it to heat water.
I should be good until the price comes down sometime this summer... I better be anyway, 'cause I ain't paying $5.oo a gallon‼
Heck, I'll tell the girls to heat bathwater on the firebox before I'll pay that‼

Might be a good time to start thinkin' about installing a DHW coil on the wood furnace.

Well, the bad news here...

Farmers screwed here. Just was talking to my boss, and I brought up the propane prices and asked him how it is going for the farm. (we are the largest in this area right now, by a large margin) the bulk of the tankers have been ordered north for emergency delivery, and the supplies here are about gone. At best he can only get enough to run the heaters one day out of 7...at inflated prices.

Obviously this isn't going to work. He said the hatcheries will have to cull fresh hatched by the millions, as they can't go to farms without heat. He also said the same rationing is going to happen to the various still existing manufacturing plants around here, at least as far down as Atlanta.

that's the word direct from one of his old friends, the major big distributor around here.

Latest posts

Back