propane hit $4.99 a gal in central Illinois

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is south east wisconsin price is 5.39 per gallon. 150 gallon max fill and only for home heating use. No fills for garage or shop tanks.

Statement on Propane Supply, Demand, and Distribution

The National Propane Gas Association is working at all levels to seek relief from the current supply, distribution, and infrastructure problems facing American propane customers.

To allow for expedited delivery of propane, NPGA is working with stakeholders throughout the industry to seek relief from the current situation. Presently, the U.S. Department of Transportation has issued a regional order for the Midwestern, Eastern, and Southern regions which will allow transporters to move propane more freely throughout the most affected regions. The rare regional orders apply to 10 Midwest, 14 Eastern, and 9 Southern states. A total of 31 states so far have individually issued Hours of Service relief.

Last week, the U.S. Department of Energy reported that cold weather led to record-high natural gas storage withdrawals, as well as propane. These are the largest drawdowns in the 20-year history of the survey and the second time this year the record has been broken. Efforts are underway with the U.S. Department of Energy to acknowledge that emergency conditions could be forming, as consumers and businesses in dozens of state are faced with higher electricity and gas costs due to persistent cold weather.

In addition to seeking relief at the federal level, NPGA is working with officials within the pipeline, rail, and truck transport industries and asking for propane shipments to be prioritized within their industry.

The challenges in delivering propane for consumers during this prolonged period of cold weather started with a confluence of events beginning in October.

Abundant grain crops were being harvested throughout the Upper Midwest almost simultaneously this fall. Ordinarily, the harvest progresses in stages through the region but in late 2013, the harvests happened at the same time over a wide area. This was a large, wet crop which required massive amounts of propane in order to be dried prior to storage. That demand reduced propane inventories throughout the area.

At the same time, infrastructure realignments inhibited the transportation of propane. The Cochin pipeline, which provided 40% of the product used by Minnesota suppliers, was shut down for repairs. This triggered a chain reaction causing suppliers to go further out to load their supply. Canadian imports to the Northeast were also impaired by rail re-routing. This forced Minnesota and Wisconsin retailers to get their propane at the pipelines in Iowa, increasing demand in that state.

In the Midwest, a pipeline previously in propane service was reversed to begin moving ethane from the central part of the country to the Gulf Coast. As the harvest demand ended, a massive winter storm rolled across much of the country. Demand for residential, commercial and agricultural heat soared. The average number of heating degree days* for this winter is more than 10 percent higher than last year. The forecast continues to project colder than normal weather for much of the United States.

An important difference between this year and previous years is the extent of propane exports into the world market. In 2013, more than 20% of total U.S. propane was exported, up from 5% in 2008.

All these combined to prevent regional inventories from recovering and the existing pipeline and terminal infrastructure has been unable to recover. This has required longer driving distances and loading times, a scarcity of available product and delays in making deliveries to customers.

I talked to Mom & Dad today. They have a pellet stove, and two 1,000 gallon propane tanks. They are happy that I got the tanks for them now! They typically use one tank a year, and fill up in the middle of summer. They're only at 50% of the first tank since it was filled.

Statement on Propane Supply, Demand, and Distribution

The National Propane Gas Association is working at all levels to seek relief from the current supply, distribution, and infrastructure problems facing American propane customers. Really? Really? If they were, some of these things going on in the rest of this article would not be happening!

At the same time, infrastructure realignments inhibited the transportation of propane. The Cochin pipeline, which provided 40% of the product used by Minnesota suppliers, was shut down for repairs. Do you really think they didn't know this would be a problem? Shutting down for repairs at the beginning of peak demand?
Canadian imports to the Northeast were also impaired by rail re-routing. This forced Minnesota and Wisconsin retailers to get their propane at the pipelines in Iowa, increasing demand in that state.Another example of market manipulating.

In the Midwest, a pipeline previously in propane service was reversed to begin moving ethane from the central part of the country to the Gulf Coast. More market manipulation.

An important difference between this year and previous years is the extent of propane exports into the world market. In 2013, more than 20% of total U.S. propane was exported, up from 5% in 2008.Good call! Let's export the stuff when we need it the most! I wonder if they are paying the same $5.29/gallon we are here in MN? I doubt it!

All these combined to prevent regional inventories from recovering and the existing pipeline and terminal infrastructure has been unable to recover. This has required longer driving distances and loading times, a scarcity of available product and delays in making deliveries to customers.

What gets me the most is that by offering this explanation, we are supposed to go, Oooohhhhh, I see, no wonder it is so high priced that I can't afford to heat my home! I understand now, and I guess it's ok?

How about you remove all the inhibitors to get back on track!

Shortage, my ass! market manipulation is what it is, but they won't ever say that out loud!

Ted

personally,,me believes the propane slime are ripping the public off..about 5 years ago,,the farmers used NO proPAIN to dry the corn. and the price stayed high. the next year,they used very little. the price stayed high. the year after that, they used a bit more,,but he price dropped a bunch. why?? talking to a semi driver,,he said there was a glut of it in Canada now,,because of the three year low usage. three months ago,,while SOME gas was used,,it wasn't all THAT much...after all,,gas co's wouldn't rip off the American public.....................................................

What gets me the most is that by offering this explanation, we are supposed to go, Oooohhhhh, I see, no wonder it is so high priced that I can't afford to heat my home! I understand now, and I guess it's ok?

How about you remove all the inhibitors to get back on track!

Shortage, my ass! market manipulation is what it is, but they won't ever say that out loud!

Ted
well, it wouldn't post your whole response!! but DAMN STRAIGHT!!!! buncha pervs...

I hope it comes with a kiss... if yer gonna get bent over the desk, you ought to get kissed, at least.

We ditched the propane gaslog a few years ago and got a wood burner. The stuff was $4.00 per then - got tagged with an $800.00 delivery bill. The SheWolf said that would buy a lower shelf wood stove. Only the kitchen stove is on propane now.

Saw this in the local fishwrapper today; pro-pain is being rationed in these parts. No complimentary topoffs, deliveries are going to customers who are out of gas completely or nearly out. Before it's all over with, only homes with the infirm and little pups will be eligible for deliveries.

This bites. Look for repercussions later in the year.

coworker mentioned last week his brother was quoted $4/gal here in central Wis to fill tanks at his shop/business. So just for grins, last Friday I called the local propane supplier we used before we converted to wood back in '04, and was quoted $4.899/gal.....geeezzz. A friend stopped over today and said they're paying over $4/gal and have a limit of 200 gal/per delivery. Ran into another coworker this afternoon in town and he said he can't get more than 100 gal per delivery, and at $4 something a gal. At these prices, told the wife that with the temperatures we've had this month, we would have had a $700 to $800 fuel bill, December would have been a little less, and who knows what February will bring.

rough cost breakdown:
one 18 inch chain for the Husky: $16
new file for chain: $4
gas/oil mix and bar oil for saw: $40
gas for the splitter: $16
diesel for the tractor: $20
not having the propane guy show up this year: priceless

Back