pros or cons to a ms441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
Reaction score
I just ordered one two days b4 joining this and another forum site and i dont see or hear ppl talking about the 441 much. i was wondering what your opinions are on the saw and why its not very popular. the reason i went with that instead of the 460 was the money difference but from everything ive read so far it sounds like i should have held out a week or two and saved to buy the 460. tell me your thoughts please

I just ordered one two days b4 joining this and another forum site and i dont see or hear ppl talking about the 441 much. i was wondering what your opinions are on the saw and why its not very popular. the reason i went with that instead of the 460 was the money difference but from everything ive read so far it sounds like i should have held out a week or two and saved to buy the 460. tell me your thoughts please

The 441 is VERY popular among many members on this site. I'm a bit more old school, but I'd love to have a 441 myself.

From what i have read guys that actually have 441s speak highly of them

Im stubborn and got.the.460.
&440
Thats me. I have no credible reason as to why i chose them except i like the older versions

you can trade it back within 7 days for the 460 and thats what id do.jmnsvho

441 is a good saw. The autotune version is where its at. IMO My only gripe is that it seems a little bulky compared to a 372, 440. It might not be, but it seems that way to me anyway. You did well. If you didn't get the autotune version I would pony up the extra 50 bucks or so for it. Well worth it.

you can trade it back within 7 days for the 460 and thats what id do.jmnsvho

Just mite have to do that. im already done with the job i ordered it for due to a backorder and holiday shipping issue... Thanks for the idea. hope my dealer doesnt shoot me. i havent even picked it up yet cuz the bar was backordered farther than the power head

441 is a good saw. The autotune version is where its at. IMO My only gripe is that it seems a little bulky compared to a 372, 440. It might not be, but it seems that way to me anyway. You did well. If you didn't get the autotune version I would pony up the extra 50 bucks or so for it. Well worth it.

I may only be 27 but im old school as heck. i like to have knobs and things to tinker with. plus id rather be able to fix it myself where as the auto scares me a bit. Lucky i even know how to use a computer.... :confused:

Why? Honest question.

i just have a real dislike for the saw. it just doesnt have a good feel to it. i have a fellow that comes to my site and gets my drops and butts for firewood that has a 441 and it really is funny to watch my stock 372xp just absolutely spank it cutting up blocking for firewood. he swears im lieing too him about the 372 being stock. theres just a big performance difference in my opinion. i like the way the 460 feels in my hands cutting, better than the 441 or the 372xp. but for all out hot rod felling saw i stick to the husky. so, yes ive ran a 441 enough to say i just dont like it. ran it side by side by side by side with other saws and just dont like it.

I may only be 27 but im old school as heck. i like to have knobs and things to tinker with. plus id rather be able to fix it myself where as the auto scares me a bit. Lucky i even know how to use a computer.... :confused:

LOL Guys like Terry can tune a saw no problem, but for lots of people it is a problem or potentially really expensive. The autotune saws start like a dream in all weather and of the guys I know that have them, none have had any issues. Not logging saws, but commercial tree crew saws FWIW. I am all about the new technology on saws. They compensate for so many changes instantly. And this is from a guy who has been trying to download free music for 5 years to no avail. LOL

i just have a real dislike for the saw. it just doesnt have a good feel to it. i have a fellow that comes to my site and gets my drops and butts for firewood that has a 441 and it really is funny to watch my stock 372xp just absolutely spank it cutting up blocking for firewood. he swears im lieing too him about the 372 being stock. theres just a big performance difference in my opinion. i like the way the 460 feels in my hands cutting, better than the 441 or the 372xp. but for all out hot rod felling saw i stick to the husky. so, yes ive ran a 441 enough to say i just dont like it. ran it side by side by side by side with other saws and just dont like it.

Thanks. Understood. :)

Regarding the stock 372 walloping the 441, I wonder if the same model saw may have slight variations from unit to unit; One a little stronger than another. Maybe you've got a strong 372 and he's got a weak 441. Or maybe the 441 isn't tuned just right, as already mentioned.

I've got a 1995 026 that is much stronger than a rebuilt 026 that has the larger OEM p/c/rings. The rebuild only has about 8 tanks on it, or so (which might have something to do with it too.)

OP: I like the 441 for a firewood/felling saw, very much. I have the "old" style, and it's a runner.

Jakers..
Great choice you made on the 441, no regrets..
Get the 460 next..

441 vs 440

The 441 is better for fuel economy and some say the anti vibration system is better.Well the 440 is beyond well proven.The 460 has more stump power than either.

The 441 is a great saw.
Congratulations on your purchase, you will really like the saw a lot.
I like mine a lot.

I used mine today on a tree that was making my 260 pro sweat, it is a real treat to have a saw that yawns at thick pitchy wood, had the tree felled and bucked up in about 20 min and still have 3/4 tank of fuel left. Base of tree was 30" and about 150 feet tall, ended up with a full trailer and left quite a bit of the top.

are you insane?!

Of course a 460 has more horsepower, it had more power than a 440, its the difference between an 044 and an 046.

I own a 441, my buddies all have 441's. They are the best saw's we've ever used. We pool a 460 and a 660 for the big big tree's and they only get ran long enough to get the tree's manageable with the 441's. We ran 25" bars for awhile, but got smart and figured out instead of bending over a little to cut wood we'd stand straight up and use a 32" bar. Still cut the same size wood or so but the 441 pulls a 32" without problems.

If you want your body to be worn out at the end of the day then run a 460. they are big powerful saws, but they are LOUD, and they vibrate like hell. If you want creature comfort run a 441 and you'll be able to cut a lot longer and burn less fuel to cut the same amount of wood. 460's were great saws, but they are old technology without strato motors and no anti-vibe. If thats your cup of tea power to you but for less money and better comfort you're much better off.

BTW, I'm looking forward to buying a 661 or 461 whenever they decide to put them on the market. The anti-vibe and the fuel savings they'll get will make them the difference in their models just like the 440 and the 441.

Rant over. :)

Of course a 460 has more horsepower, it had more power than a 440, its the difference between an 044 and an 046.

I own a 441, my buddies all have 441's. They are the best saw's we've ever used. We pool a 460 and a 660 for the big big tree's and they only get ran long enough to get the tree's manageable with the 441's. We ran 25" bars for awhile, but got smart and figured out instead of bending over a little to cut wood we'd stand straight up and use a 32" bar. Still cut the same size wood or so but the 441 pulls a 32" without problems.

If you want your body to be worn out at the end of the day then run a 460. they are big powerful saws, but they are LOUD, and they vibrate like hell. If you want creature comfort run a 441 and you'll be able to cut a lot longer and burn less fuel to cut the same amount of wood. 460's were great saws, but they are old technology without strato motors and no anti-vibe. If thats your cup of tea power to you but for less money and better comfort you're much better off.

BTW, I'm looking forward to buying a 661 or 461 whenever they decide to put them on the market. The anti-vibe and the fuel savings they'll get will make them the difference in their models just like the 440 and the 441.

Rant over. :)

Hey, wait a minute. You aren't qualified to have an opinion. You and your guys actually run the 441 day in and day out. Just back up and shut up and let the posers comment on this saw! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I am going to be honest here. I hate my 441. It is way to fast in the wood, saves me a ton of time not having to refuel, gets me home way sooner so I have to spend time with family, damn that pisses me off. You would be better off trading off that POS and getting yourself a much louder, older, less fuel efficient, vibration monster so you can enjoy your time in the woods.:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back