prospective wood burner....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joninatree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I run a small commercial tree service in southeast tennessee and feel that it only makes sense that I burn wood to heat house (and hopefully garage and water too)....as I have to otherwise drive and pay to get rid of it. I'm relatively naive about the various options, but I do crudely understand the the basic difference between a wood stove, a wood furnace and a wood boiler. That said, I don't know enough at this point to figure out which (and in which configuration) would make the most sense for my particular situation. My supply of firewood is virtually infinite, so burning efficiency is not an issue in my mind. I'm interested in something affordable and relatively convenient to operate/maintain and that can hopefully heat an additional 650 square feet (when I lift the roof on my garage to add a living area in a few years). My house is 1250 square foot and has cental electric heat. My garage is separated from the house by roughly an 8ft. walkway; it currently is650 square feet with a storage loft above. I do have an old root cellar dug out under my house (where my water heater is); it is 7 feet high and an area roughly 8X10' (although it's a small door that you have to stoop through to get down a few steps and into the space).

What questions do I need to answer to help me narrow down my options? I do have a company in town that people seem to really like and reccomend called US. Stove. They seem to be able to get discounted "scratch n dents" (and display models and cosmetically blemished models) of almost all of their models if one is willing to be patient for say a few months to the better part of a year. I mention them in case anyone is familiar with their products and also because it seems like a decent place for me to consider due to saved shipping costs and local dealer support (if problems later arrise).

Y'alls thoughts and questions please. Jon

Please post links to previous threads that you think might helpful given my questions. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back