Protimeter as a moisture meter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ain't too smart but you may be on to something there. With the OHMs reading you can find opens in wires or connections or measure the amount of resistance. I know when you hold both probes between thumb and forefinger not touching the harder you squeeze the meter will rise. If it will detect moisture or pass through of it which could be what its doing when between your fingers maybe it would work as a poor mans, Rube Goldberg, I don't trust it, Mickey Mouse, half rectumed moisture meter but like I said I ain't too smart.. See I just put two periods at the end of a sentence and spell check is saying both rectumed and OHMs is misspelled. You may be thinking there is no such word as rectumed but after the accident I heard somebody say "rectumed hell, it killed em" so I know there is such a word.

Fubar2, nice job on the rectumed quote!!! So here is the deal on moisture meters....... Lignum is the industry standard on all hand held moisture meters. The prongs are 1/8" long and they measure the MC. Surface moisture meters and surface probes will tell you nothing about what you need to know about the MC of your firewood. Oh, and you need to calibrate your moisture meter on a yearly basis to get an accurate reading.

I did water/ fire damage & mold remediation for about 3.5yrs. The protimiters were great for giving us an initial idea of the saturation. The rue of thumb being moisture was present, was usually the tip of the ice berg. They can be very handy tools but don't read depth for a damn and give off many false positives.

Back