Prune ugly junipers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettiepagegirl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not sure if junipers are even considered trees (if not, I apologize!), but we've got 7 of them (about 12-15 feet high) along one of our fence lines. The problem with them is that they are unruly looking (very spindly at the tops, and just plain unkempt looking), and I'd like to try to shape them. I'm not sure which species they are, but they are a light grayish-green color, with big 3/4 inch juniper berries on them.
I've heard stories of people killing their junipers by pruning them incorrectly, and I'd like to know if there's a "right" way to do it.
Also, how much water do established junipers need? We just moved to this property two months ago, and have no idea how much (if any) to water the plants here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks! :umpkin:
P.S. Relating to the watering question, we're in the Mojave Desert of California.

Most junipers do well with little water...native species thrive on their own in the desert.

Some soil amendments and limited water may help them to bush out a bit. Mychorrizae, Cambistat, compost tea....these may be hard to locate a source or applicator in your area. Re fertilizer, one needs to know if the soil is deficient. A good local nursery or arborist should be able to help.

As far as pruning goes, a picture might help us to give advice. Some careful shaping might work, as well as cleaning any deadwood or needles if any exists.

Indeed, a picture would be helpful. Junipers general accept heavy pruning with relative aplomb BUT --indiscriminate whacking can indeed kill them. The fact that you say that these look unkempt is actually a good thing since it means that they probably haven't been sheared regularly and thus will have a more 'open'/natural branch structure. Junipers in that condition respond well to reduction/shaping. The ones trhat usually get killed by bad pruning are those that have been sheared all their lives and have developed so that all the needles are located on the tips of the branches. Someone comes along and says"they are too big" and tries to reduce them in size in one operation. When all the live needles are cut off in an area those branches tend to die-Voila'-ruined tree or shrub.

I think they ARE actually Arizona Cypress

After looking it up on the 'net, I do think that these plants are Arizona Cypress (they have those same "scaled" cones), not junipers as I'd thought (blush). Does the difference change the manner in which I should prune them? Thanks for all of the Juniper info....:blush:

Other than clearance issues, leave them alone.

There are many Az cypress here. Similar to ash juniper in that if you remove and nit-pick all the dead out, they look lion tailed and over pruned.

Great long lived low maintenance trees.

Treetx is correct. Az Cypress are extremely low maintenance trees. You can do minor pruning for clearance or shaping but as far as their health is concerned nothing beats benign neglect.(Do make sure they get a little water periodically):)

The cone size was what made me curious as to whether they were the A. Cypress.

In our area, they usually are allowed to become single or multiple leader trees with minimal thinning as needed.

The problem is not with the cypress.
To get to the root of the problem we need to first talk a little about you. As you were growing up, who was most influencial in your life?
I ask this question, because it is normal for you to bring something into your life that is ordered and want it to stay that way, but to look out at nature and see something loose and flowing, and want to conform it to your idea of structure, is a sign of other problems in your life.
If you could discuss your past, those who first influenced you, tramatic events in your life, issuses of control, and anything else you might think of, it would certainly help.
With time, and talk, we might find out why this tree is growing wrong.

Last edited:
Originally posted by bettiepagegirl
The problem with them is that they are unruly looking (very spindly at the tops, and just plain unkempt looking), and I'd like to try to shape them.
Danger! First see pictures of or better yet visit real-life versions of a mature plant. Next visualize how you want yours to look--Maybe a scaled-down, slightly more formal-appearing plant?
;)
Next find a local plant person to bounce some ideas off of, maybe pay a local professional for an hour's work evaluating their condition, their relation to the landscape, and their nutritional and other needs, then have them prune one acccording to your goals.
If at that point you want to do-it-yourself, go ahead. If you want to post a picture on this site, you'll get some free advice. But watch out--not all of it will be good for your plants. Condition and site determine a tree's response to pruning--many variables.:rolleyes:

Bombas;

I'm sure your post was very helpful.

Frank

Be careful with the words you speak,
To keep them soft and sweet;
We never know from day to day,
Which ones we'll have to eat!

I wasn't trying to be mean, although it may have come out that way. It's just that as an arborist, I spend way too much time trying to make trees look un-natural, to the extreme detriment of the tree.
For example, about 3 times a week I'm asked to make a silver maple (wide spreading tree) look like a columnar maple (tall, narrow, upright tree).
I get sick of it.
It would be much nicer if folks would leave their ego behind and accept the fact that dogs are not cats, even if you teach them to wag their tail.
I'm reminded of the comedian who pokes fun at the vegitarian who claims animals are living beings and should not be eaten, when his meat eating freind says that plants are alive to, they're just easier to catch.
But I digress...
My point is that it is easier (and more satisfying) to learn about nature and enjoy it, rather than trying to make it conform to your preconcieved notion about how it should be.

Kneejerk;
That I can buy. I try to be a student of nature too. You just have to try to educate people, but you can't go scaring off your audience like that! Lol!

Frank

Truth is strong medicine; it must be given in small doses

Originally posted by Kneejerk Bombas
My point is that it is easier (and more satisfying) to learn about nature and enjoy it, rather than trying to make it conform to your preconcieved notion about how it should be.
kb what you want to consider is that we are part of nature and it is natural for us to modify our environment to suit our values, needs and goals. What is satisfying for one is not for another--why try to impose your sense of what looks good on others?
:D
You describe this plant as "loose and flowing", yet you've never seen it.:eek: It's you who are imposing "preconceived notions" here, not the oroiginal poster (to whom you owe an apology--I don't think you'd like your mother referred to that way, would you? She'd kick you our of the basement if you did.)
The poster's request to make this plant work better for her had nothing to do with making silver maples more columnar in shape. If you don't know how to make reduction cuts to achieve this--temporarily, true--, you should refer the work to a competent arborist whose work is not confined by personal philosophical prejudice.:eek:
If you want to find a patient who needs psychological counseling, leave the girl alone and just take a look in the mirror.:angry:

Mike , You are getting flamed a little but you brought it on yourself. Your comments would have been alright directed at some of the regulars-we know how to take you. You were completely out of line with Bettie.:(

Hey now...

I'm anal !

Parents were disorganized.

But several country clubs later - where 5/1000s of an inch difference on greens cutting reels make a difference....

Originally posted by Kneejerk Bombas
I did an edit and I apologize to Bettie.
You see, my uncle Henry used to...
Thank You! This forum gets so little traffic, we can't afford to criticize the parents of those who do post questions. re Uncle Henry, maybe past abuse and brainwashing explains your kneejerk anti-pruning dogma.
Anyway, thanks again for pulling back some of the bombast.:)

I do not want to make these trees (which are not "free-flowing" by any means) look like a formal English garden or topiaries, I just want to get them looking nice and healthy. Two of the eight trees are at least 6 feet taller than the rest, and that extra height is all in the top of the trunk....one tall branch that's skinny and brownish. I do not need to go into analysis, or work on my ego....I need to do something to help these trees.
Thanks to all of you who offered constructive advice (and came to my defense...LOL). I'll try to get my digital camera up and running so that I can post some pics.
Bombas....please learn to hold your tongue when you don't have any idea what you're commenting about.....not only do you not know what these particular trees look like, you have no idea about my psychological profile or family history. I asked a simple question, and didn't deserve to be crucified for it....I think you've got some issues that have nothing to do with trees! :confused:

Bombas....please learn to hold your tongue when you don't have any idea what you're commenting about.....

You try growing up in a basement with a name like Kneejerk!

not only do you not know what these particular trees look like, you have no idea about my psychological profile or family history. I asked a simple question, and didn't deserve to be crucified for it....

I hardly curcified you. I may have teased you a little, and I apologized for that, it's just some tree care practices drive me nuts.

I think you've got some issues that have nothing to do with trees! :confused:

Don't we all...don't we all.:rolleyes:

Back