Pruning Advice, Western WA Maple Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Satch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, my mom is wanting this maple pruned, I'm not sure where to start as I don't want to damage the tree. Im not sure if the exact species either. Located in western Washington if that matters. So a couple questions I have:

1. Is now the right time to prune this tree?
2. What can be removed without damaging the tree/ where would you prune it?

E5gFNe9.jpg

zZBxh1c.jpg

NBzHYqT.jpg

If better images are needed I can get them, I wasn't aware it still had that support on it, I will cut that off next time I am over there.

1st define pruning goals.

No...1st get that bamboo and all associated ties, straps, etc off!

It is a Japanese maple of some sort...so it is not going to be a giant single trunk log.

Get the crossing branches out. Doesn't look like anything has really bad (tight) branch angles, but prevent those with early pruning.

Otherwise probably clip off an "outlier" here and there to maintain some symmetry.

Will do on the supports and crossing branches. As far as trimming the outliers, would I do any harm by trimming the highest branch in the center to the general height of the overall tree? Or would that effectively stop growth on that branch and I should trim it all the way back to where it originates?

I'd probably take that all the way back. I don't see a good place to shorten it and make a proper cut. Doesn't look like, from that angle, that it throws anything outta whack if it is gone.

Is that some type of miniature maple species tree bought at a nursery? If so, ask them about pruning.

If it is a 'volunteer' (just started growing there from wild seed) then it is a bigleaf maple and will get out of control really fast. "Prune" it off at ground level while you have a chance. Pull up any similar seedling starts near the house.

No, it's not a big leaf, it's part of the landscaping the builder installed, leaves are small and red

part of the landscaping the builder installed

Are you in King County? All kinds of 'legislation' about keeping things green (after the developer bulldozes out every living thing to start with) . Probably no arborist had any input, builder just plopped in the required number of trees/etc. to meet sub-development rules set by our wonderful bureaucrats.

Unless that is really a bush vs. a tree, I'd dig it up and transplant farther from the house - if there is room on the lot for a tree! The couple of older DF in the background looks like one of the 'natural areas' required here - fenced off with the prescribed split rail fence? .

It's Snohomish county, and sadly those two big evergreens in the background are in an area that will be developed in the coming years. There is a NGPA ( natural growth protection area) directly across the street, but in my experience, if enough money is paid, those can be 'relocated'.

She's won't go for digging it up, there's almost nowhere else on her tiny lot to put it, short of square in the middle of her back lawn.

Thanks for the reply.
Perhaps go for the 'bonzai' look?
For those unfamiliar with West WA, Seattle/Everett area, home of the billionaires (second only to silicon valley?), in the metro areas a HUGE back yard is defined as not being able to touch the back fence with one hand on the; back door knob.

Yeah, we grew up on 5 acres out here, but after my dad passed she moved into town. Now has the tiny yard in the 5 floor plan neighborhood.

Im going to give it a go today or tomorrow. I have always seen the pruning as more if an art, visualizing what the tree will become after, and I have done very little of it. I have no problems with removals, but I always worry when pruning, especially on a species I'm not familiar with, so I appreciate your guys advice. I will post pictures of the results (or aftermath) once I get it done.

Alright, this is how it stands right now. A couple suspect branches got left to see how they grow this year. Also found some damage to the tree under the support, is there anything that should be done to help the tree heal from that?

v6ylVsa.jpg

9B7S07s.jpg

vPs6sC2.jpg

Back